Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Cowabunga! A double bill!!!!

Wikiposts

Cowabunga! A double bill!!!!

Old Dec 26th 2007, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Cowabunga! A double bill!!!!

Got home from a 'Boxing Day' cinema outing to find the post man has been and dropped off two very cool envelopes!
First was the Drivers License proper with my prison quality mug shot!
Second was my Permanent Resident Card!!!! Couldn't believe it. Wasn't expecting it for another couple of weeks.
How amazing is it in itself. Some very funky holographic images on the back.

So really just posting for peoples info as how quick these things come through!!! 28 Nov to 26 Dec!!

One serious question though. Not clear whether I have to keep this with me or just store it away in case of need. Personally it's going in the strong box unless I really need it with the Drivers License being my main ID for now.

Happy New Year All!!
Old Dec 26th 2007, 1:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cowabunga! A double bill!!!!

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
One serious question though. Not clear whether I have to keep this with me or just store it away in case of need. Personally it's going in the strong box unless I really need it with the Drivers License being my main ID for now.

Happy New Year All!!
Congratulations! Your drivers license will be your main ID, but it is the law to carry your green card with you at all times. Just keep it in a safe spot in your wallet, and be careful with your wallet!

Rene
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

abir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of light

I always wonder, when someone goes through the naturalization process and becomes a citizen, will he/she need to carry some sort of proof?
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Got home from a 'Boxing Day' cinema outing to find the post man has been and dropped off two very cool envelopes!
First was the Drivers License proper with my prison quality mug shot!
Second was my Permanent Resident Card!!!! Couldn't believe it. Wasn't expecting it for another couple of weeks.
How amazing is it in itself. Some very funky holographic images on the back.

So really just posting for peoples info as how quick these things come through!!! 28 Nov to 26 Dec!!

Happy New Year All!!
Congratulations, and a Happy New Year.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 11:32 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abir007
I always wonder, when someone goes through the naturalization process and becomes a citizen, will he/she need to carry some sort of proof?
No. A citizen is a citizen, regardless of how one attained their citizenship.

~ Jenney
Old Dec 27th 2007, 1:39 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

One serious question though. Not clear whether I have to keep this with me or just store it away in case of need.
You're meant to carry it. However, since it's so difficult to get a replacement, I never did with mine except when I was travelling in a border area. Carry a copy would be my advice, and leave the original in the safe.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 2:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abir007
No.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

My feeling would be keep it safe at home rather than risk loosing in by having it on me day to day.
I think when I'm travelling I'll have it on me aswell. Kepping a copy is maybe not a bad idea just to prove there is one in existence.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:12 am

My feeling would be keep it safe at home rather than risk loosing in by having it on me day to day.
I think when I'm travelling I'll have it on me aswell. Kepping a copy is maybe not a bad idea just to prove there is one in existence.
From http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Permanent Resident Card
The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times. This requirement means that you are not only required to have a currently valid Form I-551 at all times, but also that you must carry your currently valid Form I-551 on your person at all times.

And from: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

What Does the Law Say?
Section 264 of the Immigration and Nationality Act provides that, "Every alien in the United States … shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations...." It also states, "Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him.... Any alien who fails to comply with [these] provisions shall be guilty of a misdemeanor" and may be subject to fine and/or imprisonment upon each conviction. The specific requirements and procedures for applying to replace a permanent resident card are included in the Code of Federal Regulations [CFR] at 8 CFR § 264.5.

Rene
Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:24 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
From http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Permanent Resident Card
The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times. This requirement means that you are not only required to have a currently valid Form I-551 at all times, but also that you must carry your currently valid Form I-551 on your person at all times.

And from: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

What Does the Law Say?
Section 264 of the Immigration and Nationality Act provides that, "Every alien in the United States … shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations...." It also states, "Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him.... Any alien who fails to comply with [these] provisions shall be guilty of a misdemeanor" and may be subject to fine and/or imprisonment upon each conviction. The specific requirements and procedures for applying to replace a permanent resident card are included in the Code of Federal Regulations [CFR] at 8 CFR § 264.5.

Rene
Reminds me a bit of the sharks' eternal damnation of posters on this board for conspiracy. Is it in contravention of a law? Probably yes. Has anyone ever been convicted in such circumstances? Silence ensues. What's that state where it's illegal to own two or more vibrators?
Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Reminds me a bit of the sharks' eternal damnation of posters on this board for conspiracy. Is it in contravention of a law? Probably yes. Has anyone ever been convicted in such circumstances? Silence ensues. What's that state where it's illegal to own two or more vibrators?
I'm with you! Just pointing out where it states the law, so peeps can make up their own mind.

Rene
Old Dec 27th 2007, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

AJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really nice

Congrats! Any sign of your SSN yet?

I arrived on November 24th. So far, no Permanent Resident Card and the local Social Security office says I don't exist on their system either! Which means no driving license since Virginia won't issue one without an SSN! Slowly beginning to feel like I'm not really here!!

Still, having read the posts here it's good to know I've broken a good few rules already - I don't think I've carried my passport once outside yet. Oops!
Old Dec 27th 2007, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AJP1
Congrats! Any sign of your SSN yet?

I arrived on November 24th. So far, no Permanent Resident Card and the local Social Security office says I don't exist on their system either! Which means no driving license since Virginia won't issue one without an SSN! Slowly beginning to feel like I'm not really here!!

Still, having read the posts here it's good to know I've broken a good few rules already - I don't think I've carried my passport once outside yet. Oops!
SSN came through first. It was about a week/10 days after I touched down (I was 4 days after you). It wasn't until I got that that DMV forms were completeable (is that a word?) Did you have it as part of your DS230?
So I551 was near enough 4 weeks exactly and with Xmas break.
It is perfect timing actually as I had a call today for a job I applied for before Xmas asking me to come in for an interview tomorrow!
Maybe I should buy lotto this week.

Hope yours comes through soon. Once you start getting things like the DL I551 SSN etc it has a terrific 'normalising' effect.

Noorah - Thanks for the links. Logic dictates (aswell as the apparent letter of the law) that you should have something with you at all times but looking at the damn thing it looks real fragile with all the technology and holograms and not up to a couple of weeks in a wallet in a back pocket nevermind the 2 years it's meant to last.

Last edited by mayhemuk; Dec 27th 2007 at 12:47 pm. Reason: typo
Old Dec 27th 2007, 12:50 pm

Noorah - Thanks for the links. Logic dictates (aswell as the apparent letter of the law) that you should have something with you at all times but looking at the damn thin it looks real fragile with all the technology and holograms and not up to a couple of weeks in a wallet in a back pocket nevermind the 2 years it's meant to last.
LOL. My husband's 10-year GC came in a nice little protective sleeve, which he keeps it in, in his wallet. The 2-year card didn't come that way, but he kept it in his wallet anyway. He actually DID misplace his wallet once (he left it in a fast-food chain restroom, along a highway rest stop!). Wonder of wonders, he had his green card in his jeans pocket instead of his wallet, as he was showing it to someone earlier that day, so the GC didn't get lost with the wallet! whew! Amazingly, some kind soul found his wallet and mailed it back to him about 2 weeks later....although we had already canceled his credit cards and such...but it was nice to know there are kind people out there who will return such an item. All the money and everything was still in it, too!

Rene
Old Dec 28th 2007, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No.
I wonder what happens in practice. Say you get stopped by the Border Patrol in Arizona and look rather 'Mexican'. Do they just let you go if you tell them you're a US citizen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.