Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Cover letter for spouse settlement visa

Cover letter for spouse settlement visa

Old May 14th 2012, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Isabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really nice
Default Cover letter for spouse settlement visa

I have all the evidence ready (well, waiting on a few things to get here in the next few days) and have finished, but not submitted, the online application. I am bombarding them with evidence! I have about 2 inches worth of paper it seems (apologized for it on the cover letter)

On the cover letter, what should I write? So far I have state that I am applying for a Settlement Spouse/CP visa with KOL req. I have also asked to have the visa dated for July 1st. (I plan on expediting the visa just in case - tho the timeline would probably be quick regardless from looking on the stats for the US). I noted a few points in regards to the application (they do not let you write much on section 8 at all!) Things such as:

our house is under contract and we will have equity from that soon (including the contract and mortgage statements)

confusion on what to put under my financial section and explaining what I put

about how the accommodation is only temporary and according to the MAA14 Overcrowding statute we won't be overcrowded (does that sound rude to state that?)

What else are they looking for? And what should my husband do on his letter?

Also, we don't need to submit the form SU07/01 right? My husband is my sponsor and we are all moving together from the US to the UK. That appears to not pertain to us but I wanted to make sure.
Old May 15th 2012, 6:44 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cover letter for spouse settlement visa

You may want to focus on the salary your sponsor will have and be clear the accom is only temporary ( you can say that you will not be overcrowded and show that you know what you are talking about - be sure to get it right though!). Do be clear on the ownership of the property in the letter.
Be short but clear and state facts ( that can be backed up by evidence in the application documentation).
Do remember the folk looking will be seeing lots and lots of applications so make it clear and to the point. Get someone who does not know you too well to read it and look at your application, it sometimes helps to have a fresh pair of eyes to see if it makes sense. Having spent so long preparing it you sort of know what you think it says but a fresh pair of eyes can just be of a help and say "what does that mean" and may just help you. They are not out to refuse applications but just want to be sure that, in your case in particular that you can all be supported without being a burden on the state !!!
You state your proposed start date for the visa but do be careful with this date as you can not travel before the date on the visa, so should you suddenly want to go earlier this would be precluded. You may wish to say that you wish to travel as soon as you get the visa.
As with all these things there has to be a point when you send it off and you can do no more at that point but wait!
Old May 15th 2012, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Isabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really nice

Should I not mention the sale of the house at all on the cover letter?? I did list it under the 'other investments, stocks, and whatever' section of the application. I was planning on including statements with our stock portfolio, retirement accounts, and house contract even though I understand they are looking only at current, liquid assets. I have heard mumblings that they can still help.

I will mention first that my husband will continue his job in the UK. We are working to get his company to give us a letter stating salary and a few other pertinent details (why is HR so difficult to work with in almost any company??)

On the overcrowding part, this is what I have written:

'As we have done previously when visiting the UK, we will be staying with my sister-in-law and her family. I wanted to note that this is a temporary situation. Once we arrive in the UK, our first order of business is to find a house to rent/purchase. After consulting the MAA14 Overcrowding statute, we understand that we will not be in an overcrowded situation.'

I purchased online and printed the land registry for my SIL's house with both her and her husband's name. She sent us a letter stating that it would be fine for us to stay with them and evidence to back up the property is theirs (we are waiting for it to arrive...she sent it 3 day post a week ago! I can only hope she sent the correct stuff) The land registry does not list how many rooms are in the house. I also did not ask her to send info on the sizes of the rooms. Should she have stated the sizes?

I am not worried putting down July 1st as the beginning date of the visa. Hubby has a conference he is present at towards the end of June so we wouldn't be able to leave before then anyways. Plus, we are unable to get plane tickets with our miles until mid-July. Once I get the visa, I will get our tickets (tho we are waiting on the children's British passports. Hubby is supposed to be contacting the British Embassy to find out if they could, if needed, travel into the UK on their US passports or if that would cause trouble - which it probably would the more I think on it)

Thanks! It is weird to have a separate letter for my husband and myself. We have been married almost 14 years. There is no 'him and me' anymore. It is 'us' as a family. Separating us out is just not normal anymore.
Old May 16th 2012, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Isabella,

I've just put a copy of my supporting letter which we used for my wife's application onto the sticky thread. Might help.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

ajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really nice

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
Hi Isabella,

I've just put a copy of my supporting letter which we used for my wife's application onto the sticky thread. Might help.
How do you access the sticky threads... sorry I am new to this, and going through the same Thanks
Old Jul 8th 2012, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Red-Sea-Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ajdjad
How do you access the sticky threads... sorry I am new to this, and going through the same Thanks

The sticky threads are the bit at the top of the 'Threads In Forum' section. There are 4 threads and each begins with 'Read Me' in red. The one that contains the information englishguy referred to is called 'British citizen living abroad? Non EEA spouse? This may affect you!'

This is the post englishguy made which includes a copy of his supporting letter, along with lots of other helpful information...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=96

Old Jul 8th 2012, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

The thread is no longer sticky due to new changes coming in to force on Monday.

My original post was here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...e#post10064050

But those rules don't exist anymore and so at best it's now just a collection of letters to adjust to the new circumstances.

The thread entitled something like "living abroad, nonEEA spouse" is the one to read now.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Red-Sea-Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
The thread is no longer sticky due to new changes coming in to force on Monday.
Sorry ajdjad, my mistake. I've completely lost track of the days and didn't realise tomorrow is the 9th

I hope the new rules wont cause you too many problems

Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

ajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really nice

Originally Posted by Red-Sea-Angel
Sorry ajdjad, my mistake. I've completely lost track of the days and didn't realise tomorrow is the 9th

I hope the new rules wont cause you too many problems

I hope not , since we paid the fee before July 9th , I am hoping that we are on the old rule Thanks