Reload this Page >

Cover letter? CR-1 petition

Cover letter? CR-1 petition

Old Oct 14th 2017, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

bg1109 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cover letter? CR-1 petition

Hi, everyone!
I apologize if this is somewhere else and I missed it. My new husband and I are mailing off our I130 package today! So exciting! I thought I had everything perfectly organized, until I saw something on a website just now about a cover letter and table of contents that you should include?
Is this true- do we need to write one, or is it unnecessary? Also, one more thing- I’m only submitting passport photos of myself, since he’s not in the US right now (per the instructions)- is that correct?
We want to get it right on the first submission and not have any delays.

Thanks!
Old Oct 14th 2017, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cover letter? CR-1 petition

Cover letter not required.

Sorry not sure about photos as they changed forms up this year. Read I-130 and I-130a instructions carefully.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, Tom! Was hoping you’d say I didn’t need the cover letter

Originally Posted by tom169
Cover letter not required.

Sorry not sure about photos as they changed forms up this year. Read I-130 and I-130a instructions carefully.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 2:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You also don't need a table of contents.

From the mouth of several immigration attorneys, we've been assured that both the cover letter and the table and whatever nice binding package you use will be discarded upon receipt.

Your petition goes from the mailroom to a worker's desk who will open your envelope/package. The cover letter will glanced at and thrown in the waste basket. If you have the documents inside of a folder such as or similar to a loose leaf binder, the documents will be removed, the table of contents goes into the trash along with the binder and the documents are sectioned out for each petition, i.e. I-130, etc. If it were for adjustment of status, it would be sectioned out for the I-485, I-765 employment authorization, etc. The end result of this is that the new package which was scrutinized for completeness will be forwarded to the appropriate department for adjudication.

At this point it is hoped that each section is paired up with the appropriate attachments/evidence. If not, you will get a referral for further evidence (RFE).

Recommendation is:

Make a table of contents FOR YOURSELF ONLY listing each paper included, in the order assembled, and check off each item as assembled. Place a checkmark next to each item you have included.

Put each petition together separately. In your case it is the I-130 and behind it stack up the I-130A, the evidence, etc. and attach them with a bullnose clip/binder clip (available in Staples, Office Depot and some box stores).

IMPORTANT: Make a complete copy set of the entire package for your own files. It is not unheard of that papers go missing. With this exact copy, you can see what was included and need only pull out what was lost, copy and resend as directed by USCIS.

Also never send originals unless specifically required.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 14th 2017 at 2:12 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks very much, Rete! Sounds like we’re in good shape from what you’ve described, which is a relief.
I’ve paperclipped each separate section and put them in order- the check and I-130 with my birth certificate and passport photos; followed by the I-130A; then our marriage certificate, two affidavits, and our photos/other evidence all paper clipped together. I’ve just put them in a USPS document mailer in a stack.

Fingers crossed that we get it on the first try!

Thanks again for being so helpful!

Originally Posted by Rete

From the mouth of several immigration attorneys, we've been assured that both the cover letter and the table and whatever nice binding package you use will be discarded upon receipt.

Your petition goes from the mailroom to a worker's desk who will open your envelope/package. The cover letter will glanced at and thrown in the waste basket. If you have the documents inside of a folder such as or similar to a loose leaf binder, the documents will be removed, the table of contents goes into the trash along with the binder and the documents are sectioned out for each petition, i.e. I-130, etc. If it were for adjustment of status, it would be sectioned out for the I-485, I-765 employment authorization, etc. The end result of this is that the new package which was scrutinized for completeness will be forwarded to the appropriate department for adjudication.

At this point it is hoped that each section is paired up with the appropriate attachments/evidence. If not, you will get a referral for further evidence (RFE).

Recommendation is:

Make a table of contents FOR YOURSELF ONLY listing each paper included, in the order assembled, and check off each item as assembled. Place a checkmark next to each item you have included.

Put each petition together separately. In your case it is the I-130 and behind it stack up the I-130A, the evidence, etc. and attach them with a bullnose clip/binder clip (available in Staples, Office Depot and some box stores).

IMPORTANT: Make a complete copy set of the entire package for your own files. It is not unheard of that papers go missing. With this exact copy, you can see what was included and need only pull out what was lost, copy and resend as directed by USCIS.

Also never send originals unless specifically required.

Good luck to you.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 2:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You're very welcome.

Good luck with a speedy affirmative adjudication on the I-130 and its move to the next link in the chain.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

iarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

Your petition goes from the mailroom to a worker's desk who will open your envelope/package. The cover letter will glanced at and thrown in the waste basket.
It may not be necessary, but a cover letter/table of contents won't necessarily be discarded - mine for the I-130 petition got scanned and forms part of my A-file. There wasn't much to it: "please find enclosed the following documents in support of a petition for alien relative", followed by a list of forms/documents.
A list of documents may actually be useful if you're including things that may not immediately be recognized. At NVC stage, I didn't include a list of documents and got an RFE for missing dutch police certificate despite it being included in my submission. Unless you're paying attention, it just looks like some random foreign language document, but actually is printed in both dutch and english. After responding to RFE with a brief note explaining that it's a bilingual document, it was accepted. I'm sure that RFE would have been avoided if I'd included the explanation first time.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iarnell
It may not be necessary, but a cover letter/table of contents won't necessarily be discarded - mine for the I-130 petition got scanned and forms part of my A-file. There wasn't much to it: "please find enclosed the following documents in support of a petition for alien relative", followed by a list of forms/documents.
A list of documents may actually be useful if you're including things that may not immediately be recognized. At NVC stage, I didn't include a list of documents and got an RFE for missing dutch police certificate despite it being included in my submission. Unless you're paying attention, it just looks like some random foreign language document, but actually is printed in both dutch and english. After responding to RFE with a brief note explaining that it's a bilingual document, it was accepted. I'm sure that RFE would have been avoided if I'd included the explanation first time.
A sticky note on the certificate may have helped too.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 1:50 pm
Concierge

There are always exceptions and it is great that you were one of them
Old Oct 15th 2017, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, iarnell!
We mailed ours in yesterday- hopefully it’ll be all good on the first try!