Cover letter?

Old Jan 13th 2007, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cover letter?

I have prepared a very detailed cover letter explaining when my wife and I met, ........under what circumstances, ...............our trip to Las Vegas,....... my trips to visit her in Peru.........meeting various members of her family.......how and when my stepdaughters ended up in the U.S. going to school, and why.......the date my wife took a leave of absence from work to go to Florida to be with her daughters until the end of the school year.....the approximate date of her intended return to Peru ......her continued ownership of her apartment in Lima.........my call to her in Florida on thanksgiving to propose..........our marrying prior to the end of the year for tax benefits.......our initial decision for me to move to Peru and for me to teach English there....my ultimate decision that the futures of my stepdaughters were better served if we stayed in the U.S...........our conversation regarding that decision.....and her ultimate agreement and resignation of her job in Peru....and then filing for AOS.

I am trying to decide if this should be submitted with the package, or saved for interview. My concern is in explaining the circumstances that led to the decision to remain in the U.S. When I look at the circumstances (kids in school in the U.S.--wife in U.S. for extended visit with her kids...marriage a little over a month after her arrival), it is easy to see how a zealous USCIS person might find the timing and circumstances unusual. There was no intent on her part, or mine, to get married when she arrived. I was the one who decided that I was tired of running away from my feelings and my desire to be with them always. The marriage proposal was a complete surprise to her.

I would be interested in any opinions.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:01 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cover letter?

Originally Posted by dakota44
I have prepared a very detailed cover letter explaining when my wife and I met, ........under what circumstances, ...............our trip to Las Vegas,....... my trips to visit her in Peru.........meeting various members of her family.......how and when my stepdaughters ended up in the U.S. going to school, and why.......the date my wife took a leave of absence from work to go to Florida to be with her daughters until the end of the school year.....the approximate date of her intended return to Peru ......her continued ownership of her apartment in Lima.........my call to her in Florida on thanksgiving to propose..........our marrying prior to the end of the year for tax benefits.......our initial decision for me to move to Peru and for me to teach English there....my ultimate decision that the futures of my stepdaughters were better served if we stayed in the U.S...........our conversation regarding that decision.....and her ultimate agreement and resignation of her job in Peru....and then filing for AOS.

I am trying to decide if this should be submitted with the package, or saved for interview. My concern is in explaining the circumstances that led to the decision to remain in the U.S. When I look at the circumstances (kids in school in the U.S.--wife in U.S. for extended visit with her kids...marriage a little over a month after her arrival), it is easy to see how a zealous USCIS person might find the timing and circumstances unusual. There was no intent on her part, or mine, to get married when she arrived. I was the one who decided that I was tired of running away from my feelings and my desire to be with them always. The marriage proposal was a complete surprise to her.

I'm neither a lawyer not an amateur expert, but my inclination would be to let sleeping dogs lie and deal with them if and when they perk up...
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I'm neither a lawyer not an amateur expert, but my inclination would be to let sleeping dogs lie and deal with them if and when they perk up...
That was my initial thought. Let them bring it up...not me. I can always submit the letter if the question arises. Just wanted a second opinion. Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Theyre probably not going to read the letter - you can explain yourself at the interview.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:06 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrea874
Theyre probably not going to read the letter - you can explain yourself at the interview.
Probably true - our lawyer said they never read any letters...
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:19 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
Probably true - our lawyer said they never read any letters...
Hi:

They sure look good though and impress the clients.

Personally, I don't do them. If there is a legal issue that I KNOW will come up, I put in a "mini brief" or "memorandum of points and authorities".
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I wrote a cover letter for all the petitions / applications we submitted along the way, but it was very general and just outlined what items the package contained. I did it more for my own benefit of having a quick referral to what I sent, since I also had heard that cover letters are usually not read by USCIS.

I personally would NOT go into any detail about your relationship at all. If they have questions, they'll ask you at the interview. If they never ask, you don't have to answer. A general rule of thumb with USCIS is only give them what they require, nothing more. They aren't requiring you to tell your history at this time. If they ask during the interview in person, give a very brief answer to only the question asked. Let them figure out the rest.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:52 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not needed and a waste of time and money. The letter will be discarded. The USCIS is NOT interested in how your relationship came to be or on the contents of your package as listed in the letter. In fact, it is 99.99% sure the letter will be discarded.

Originally Posted by dakota44

Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks to all. I tend to over worry and get OCD about every little detail. Really appreciate your patience for my nit picking.