Reload this Page >

A Couple of Questions re filing the I-130

A Couple of Questions re filing the I-130

Old Jan 30th 2012, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Rob1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A Couple of Questions re filing the I-130

Hi all...

I have a couple of questions regarding filing the I-130 form for a CR-1 visa.

It is actually my new wife filing (I'm the UK half). We finally got married after 3 years to-ing and fro-ing across the pond.

To start with I'll put our 'checklist' of items up and would be grateful if any glaring omissions could be pointed out:

E-NOTICE
CHECK (Filing Fee)
FORM I-130
2 G325 FORMS (One for each of us)
COPY OF PASSPORT (To prove her US citizenship)
COPY OF MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
1 PHOTO OF APPLICANT WITH NAME WRITTEN ON BACK
1 PHOTO OF RECIPIENT WITH NAME WRITTEN ON BACK
PROOF OF BONAFIDES

Then I have a couple of questions regarding the items. Firstly, we are hoping that the passport is enough to prove here citizenship. Does anyone know if this is the case, and which pages need to be copied? Just will be a pain to get her birth certificate, but can be done if necessary.

Secondly (and more worryingly), we do not posses any of the suggested things that can 'prove' the bonafides of the marriage! We got married at the end of December and I came back to the UK. We don't live together and don't have joint finances. To be honest, I think its a bit odd that they ask for that stuff. 'WE DON'T LIVE ON THE SAME CONTINENT BECAUSE YOU WON'T LET US!!!' Does anybody have any ideas of what we could send as proof? Photos, Emails?

Many thanks in advance for your advice... Like I said, we're ready to go. Just a couple things to iron out so we have as smooth a ride as possible.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

janeth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nice
Default Re: A Couple of Questions re filing the I-130

Hi, we've just done this petition so hopefully I can answer these questions for you,

Originally Posted by Rob1985
Then I have a couple of questions regarding the items. Firstly, we are hoping that the passport is enough to prove here citizenship. Does anyone know if this is the case, and which pages need to be copied? Just will be a pain to get her birth certificate, but can be done if necessary.
The photo page of her US passport is all they ask for to prove her citizenship at this stage.

Secondly (and more worryingly), we do not posses any of the suggested things that can 'prove' the bonafides of the marriage! We got married at the end of December and I came back to the UK. We don't live together and don't have joint finances. To be honest, I think its a bit odd that they ask for that stuff. 'WE DON'T LIVE ON THE SAME CONTINENT BECAUSE YOU WON'T LET US!!!' Does anybody have any ideas of what we could send as proof? Photos, Emails?
Yes photographs, emails are acceptable. If you don't live together there is obviously no joint bills or mortgage etc...

Hope this helps

Janet

Last edited by avanutria; Jan 30th 2012 at 8:32 pm. Reason: Mod edited to add quote marks for clarity
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:43 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

You absolutely need long form birth certificates for BOTH parties (with both parents' names on).
Old Jan 30th 2012, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Janeth8711... I guess there isn't much more we can provide, given that we don't have others...

Squirrel, Where did you get that info from? The USCIS site says that only she has to prove that she is a US citizen. This is what we were debating birth cert or passport for. What is my birth certificate required for? A later stage in the process?
Old Jan 30th 2012, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Janeth8711... I guess there isn't much more we can provide, given that we don't have others...

Squirrel, Where did you get that info from? The USCIS site says that only she has to prove that she is a US citizen. This is what we were debating birth cert or passport for. What is my birth certificate required for? A later stage in the process?
Sorry yes, it will be required eventually.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

janeth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nice

Not a problem Rob.
Me and my USC husband have been getting this petition ready for a few weeks now and have finally sent it to the London embassy.

Good luck with everything
Old Jan 30th 2012, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
You absolutely need long form birth certificates for BOTH parties (with both parents' names on).
What? Not so. The US citizen doesn't need a birth certificate! All that is ever required is that the USC can prove citizenship... and a US passport will do that.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jan 30th 2012 at 12:52 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

So thanks for the replies guys... I really appreciate it!

Can anyone who has recently gone through the process/knows it well give me a definitive list of the things I will need to apply for the visa itself (I know it will be a few months before we need it, but just want to be as prepared as possible)?

Thanks again for all the help so far!
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:42 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

See the visa pages of the web site of the US embassy in London.

Regards, JEff

Can anyone who has recently gone through the process/knows it well give me a definitive list of the things I will need to apply for the visa itself (I know it will be a few months before we need it, but just want to be as prepared as possible)?
Old Jan 31st 2012, 2:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So thanks for the replies guys... I really appreciate it!

Thanks again for all the help so far!
The visa application forms are on the US Embassy London's website. In addition to those, you will need to get a police report. You'll need a photocopy of the police report to bring to your medical, so get that done first. You'll need a full medical exam, but the instructions for that will come from London when they have your case. You can't book the medical until you have your case number from London (it will start with the letters LND).

And, as noted, you'll need your long form birth certificate.

Rene
Old Feb 1st 2012, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

here goes rob
you will need
police cert acpo
long form birth cert
passport
us size passport photos no later than 6 months old
marrige cert
divorce cert if divorced
for medical
innoculation record
copy of police cert

and plenty of cash . i think thats it all
Old Jun 19th 2012, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hi guys... Just thought I'd update...

So we got our acceptance letter for our I130 yesterday and are now waiting for the NVC package to be delivered.

I've seen (and asked) the question a number of times 'what do we need to provide to prove the bona fides of the marriage.' For reference, we were married 30th December and put the pack together over January. The only bona fides we sent were a couple of pages of pictures showing us together before and for a couple of weeks after the wedding. Like many others, we didn't have bank accounts, mortgages etc together, so we just attached a note to the top of the photo page to that effect. This is apparently enough.

If anyone has any advice regarding the most efficient route through this, it would be much appreciated.

Rob