Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Couple of questions (I-751 and N-400)

Couple of questions (I-751 and N-400)

Old May 8th 2020, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute
Default Couple of questions (I-751 and N-400)

Hey guys! Well, the time is slowly creeping up for me to file the I-751 form for removal of conditions. My green card expires in October!

Am I right in that I can send of my I-751 form 90 days before the expiration date on my GC? And once I file it and receive a letter confirming it has reached USCIS, my status as a PR is okay, even if the expiration date passes?

Also, I believe I can apply for citizenship, form N-400, next summer? Is the three years of being married to file based on the date you were married to your US citizen spouse, or the date that your green card states your residency start date? When is the earliest date you can file for N-400?

I'm trying to plan ahead and create reminders so I don't miss any important dates. And the N-400 is something I want to do as the wife and I plan to start a family in the next year or two, so we want to make it an easy thing for the future and not have to worry about anything!
Old May 8th 2020, 12:02 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Couple of questions (I-751 and N-400)

Am I right in that I can send of my I-751 form 90 days before the expiration date on my GC? And once I file it and receive a letter confirming it has reached USCIS, my status as a PR is okay, even if the expiration date passes?
Correct. You'll get a letter extending your PR for 18 months. It was changed from 12 months a little while ago because of the backlog at USCIS.

Also, I believe I can apply for citizenship, form N-400, next summer? Is the three years of being married to file based on the date you were married to your US citizen spouse, or the date that your green card states your residency start date? When is the earliest date you can file for N-400?
90 days before the 3 year anniversary of your residency date. As long as you are married to the same USC spouse.

I'm not sure what the current state of play is, but a few months back they were not approving an N400 until the I751 had been adjudicated.
Old May 8th 2020, 1:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The N-400 can be filed up to 90 days prior to your 3rd anniversary date as a PR ... AND you have been married to the same USC spouse a full 3 years (3rd wedding anniversary has passed).

The I-751 must be filed within the 90-day window prior to your 2nd anniversary date as a PR. I'd say use the expiry date on the 2 year green card, but sometimes those are wrong.

Rene
Old May 8th 2020, 2:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The N-400 can be filed up to 90 days prior to your 3rd anniversary date as a PR ... AND you have been married to the same USC spouse a full 3 years (3rd wedding anniversary has passed).

The I-751 must be filed within the 90-day window prior to your 2nd anniversary date as a PR. I'd say use the expiry date on the 2 year green card, but sometimes those are wrong.

Rene

Thanks, Rene, for emphasizing that important condition.
Old May 8th 2020, 5:02 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Practical pointer - do NOT file on the very first of eligibility; wait a week. Why? There is legal dispute on some of the rules (e.g. most related to the “first” and “last” days, which to count or not count, and counting backwards). Filing even one day “early” can be fatal to an application.

I speak from experience.
Old May 10th 2020, 4:55 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

When I started filling in the N-400 forms online, I started the weekend before (free time), so everything would be ready to submit on the day (wanted to file before any fee increase), the web site said I could not apply due to the date being too early. When I returned the next day to submit, that message was no longer there.

There is a website which will tell you when you can submit the form, based on your day of entry https://www.uscis.gov/forms/uscis-ea...ing-calculator .

When I applied to remove the GC restrictions last year, I too received the letter with the 18 month extension. Amazingly, it took just over 5 months to be processed, approved and receive the new GC. I was also told (by the officer who interviewed me) it was taking 4-6 months for my local office (Tampa) to process citizenship applications. Since Covid-19 is impacting the process, I don't know how long it will take now.

Last edited by ivanidea; May 10th 2020 at 5:06 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Filling out I-751 ready to send off next week. I am completing Form G-1450 to make credit card payment. I assume I would put the authorized amount as $680 ($595 filing fee & $85 biometrics fee) for a complete total?
Old Jul 26th 2020, 2:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
Filling out I-751 ready to send off next week. I am completing Form G-1450 to make credit card payment. I assume I would put the authorized amount as $680 ($595 filing fee & $85 biometrics fee) for a complete total?
Yes.

Rene
Old Jul 26th 2020, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Rene.

I prepared myself for a long time of doing paperwork this weekend. I was actually surprised when I was done within 30 minutes, and got all evidence together in that time too. It was much, much easier to complete than the last time around I can tell you that much. And I'm thankful it was!
Old Jul 26th 2020, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, I filed a year ago to remove. Biometrics are done but no updates since then. Grab a chair.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

I-751 mailed off, now the super long waiting game begins I guess. I'm just going to wait for the letter, then forget about the rest until I hear anything at all!
Old Aug 5th 2020, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Credit card was charged this AM, so at least I know it was accepted. Now the waiting game begins!
Old Aug 12th 2020, 8:32 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notaclue
FWIW, I filed a year ago to remove. Biometrics are done but no updates since then. Grab a chair.

Yay. I filed back in April and my biometrics were updated May 8th but nothing since then. My check was definitely cashed though.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

A
as of yesterday, my case updated to show fingerprints were taken. So no biometrics appointment for me, I guess they pulled it from my AOS application because of Covid? Either way, I guess now the really waiting game begins?
Old Aug 26th 2020, 1:28 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
A
as of yesterday, my case updated to show fingerprints were taken. So no biometrics appointment for me, I guess they pulled it from my AOS application because of Covid? Either way, I guess now the really waiting game begins?
Yeah, that's pretty much what happened to mine I believe. Could be waiting a longgggg time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.