Wikiposts

Couple living abroad??

Old Mar 16th 2004, 6:01 am
Just Joined

danlynclark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Couple living abroad??

What would be the best method of filing for a married couple filing from outside of the US? The husband is a US citizen, they have been residing in Canada for many years.

I think they have already filed the I-130, I was unsure if they should file a K3, or if you can file a K3 with the US Citizen residing outside of the US.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Lyn
Old Mar 16th 2004, 6:16 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Couple living abroad??

Originally posted by danlynclark
What would be the best method of filing for a married couple filing from outside of the US? The husband is a US citizen, they have been residing in Canada for many years.

I think they have already filed the I-130, I was unsure if they should file a K3, or if you can file a K3 with the US Citizen residing outside of the US.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Lyn
Perhaps a DCF (Direct Consular Filing) with is done through the U.S. Embassy in your country, its the quickest method I believe and most relevant to your situation. Anyone else want to comment on that?
Old Mar 16th 2004, 6:32 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

The DCF option is not available in Canada.

Read this link for information on filing for K3 from Canada.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 3:24 am
Whhi

FlyergirlUK <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > The DCF option is not available in Canada.
    >
    > Read http://www.visajo-
    > urney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3712&hl=filing+from+canada]this
    > link[/url] for information on filing for K3 from Canada.

We are in the same situation. Both of us living in Canada - one spouse
Cdn, the other spouse dual citizen: Cdn/USC. Have applied for I-130 in
Dec 2002 and received receipt. Applied for I-129F/K3 in Jan
2004...haven't heard anything. Is the USC required to live/be in the
US to file for a K3? What happens when USC has to provide 3 yrs
previous tax statements? Does joint sponsership come into play at this
point? Would really like some feedback...any help would be
appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

Old Mar 17th 2004, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

waitingforAOS has a spectacular aura aboutwaitingforAOS has a spectacular aura aboutwaitingforAOS has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Whhi
    >

Yes, you can fill-out the additional affadavit of support if your sponsor does not have the last 3 years returns. It is form 864, i believe.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by FlyergirlUK
The DCF option is not available in Canada.

Read this link for information on filing for K3 from Canada.
Didn't go to your link there, Flyergirl, but I have a question. Couldn't they apply for an IR-1 or CR-1 visa, depending on how long they've been married or the USC has resided in Canada? Or is this the same thing as DCF/filing the I-130? I find it hard to believe these options would not be available for Cdn/US couples.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 8:11 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
Couldn't they apply for an IR-1 or CR-1 visa, depending on how long they've been married or the USC has resided in Canada? Or is this the same thing as DCF/filing the I-130?
It is the same thing and yes, I agree, it is unbelievable that they're not given the DCF option; I've no idea why on earth not.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Buendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Whhi
    >

The USC is NOT required to be living in the US to file for a K3. I'm currently living with my husband in Ireland. We went to the US Embassy and though we were told we could not DCF (long, complicated reason), they also told me that it is the right of any American citizen, regardless of where you are living, to file for a K3 (or K4, K1/K2). She said to file our I-130 at the service center for my last address in the US (in my case it was TSC). Hope this helps!
Old Mar 17th 2004, 8:40 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
Couldn't they apply for an IR-1 or CR-1 visa, depending on how long they've been married or the USC has resided in Canada? Or is this the same thing as DCF/filing the I-130? I find it hard to believe these options would not be available for Cdn/US couples.
The IR-1/CR-1 results after an approved I-130 and Immigrant Visa application. Canadians certainly *can* get one of these visas, but they have to wait (years) for the Service Center approval. Following the I-130 app up with an I-129f allows them to apply for the K3, enter the US and wait out the I-130 approval *in* the US (at which time they could return to Canada and get the IV) or, potentially apply for AOS.

I imagine DCF in Canada was eliminated due to heavy volume, but the interesting question of how they've been legally allowed to get away with this has been posed here once or twice and never answered.