Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

COUPLE 60+ - fiance visa?

Wikiposts

COUPLE 60+ - fiance visa?

Old Mar 2nd 2007, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

newenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: COUPLE 60+ - fiance visa?

Those websites were really great. I copied and pasted the parts about self sponsorship and sent them to my fiance. In the meantime he had been on the phone with the American Embassy in London getting more information.

So we are processing the information that has been given to us and now he is planning on coming here soon so that he can do things like speak with his potential employer (as a school bus driver -- they promised him a job as long as his criminal record is clear and he passes the test) and maybe get a notarized letter from him and whatever else was mentioned in the self sponsor option.

(Of course, me playing devil's advocate--how can the employer write the letter saying that he has the offer of the job when my fiance hasn't taken the mandatory tests yet? Also he can't work here anyway until he has a work permit, right?) Maybe he should take the tests when he is here visiting but included are something like 21 hours of paid training. Does this count as work? Would it be legal for him to take the paid training at this time with no work permit? And, do employers often wait out the six months or so that the immigrant is not allowed to wait?

He and I will also see a lawyer over here now that we are more informed and know what kind of questions to ask. With the help from this forum, we feel that we have finally got the ball rolling and we are getting ideas of how to wend our way through the maze!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 3:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COUPLE 60+ - fiance visa?

Originally Posted by newenglander
Maybe he should take the tests when he is here visiting but included are something like 21 hours of paid training. Does this count as work? Would it be legal for him to take the paid training at this time with no work permit? And, do employers often wait out the six months or so that the immigrant is not allowed to wait?
In my opinion, he should not get paid for doing anything while here on the VWP. Once he enters on his K-1, then yes, he can take the paid training. I'm not sure what 6 months you're referring to...a K-1 is eligible to work for the first 90 days after entry to the USA (and if he goes through JFK, he'll get a stamp to prove it, otherwise he won't). He'll be eligible to work again after he gets the 1-year EAD. There may or may not (but probably will) be some kind of gap between the two, but not 6 months. It's up to the employer whether to employ someone who is not work authorized, anyway, for any length of time.

Rene