Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Could you share your experiences please?

Wikiposts

Could you share your experiences please?

Old Oct 23rd 2005, 1:27 am
Just Joined

gh38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Could you share your experiences please?

Hello all. Before you all either got married or engaged did anyone ever visit their gf/bf in the USA for the maximum 90 days under the VWP? What were your experiences at the POE? I plan on doing this next year and am already getting worried about going through immigration and telling them that I plan on spending 90 days with my boyfriend. I will have a letter from my employer explaining that I am on extended leave and will be returning to work, and proof that I have a home and mortgage, but I'm concerned about the whole boyfriend issue raising a huge red flag! I'm tempted to just tell them that I'm visiting to do some travelling but I hate the thought of lying. If any of you did this I'd love to hear of your experiences - good and bad!
Many thanks.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Could you share your experiences please?

Originally Posted by gh38
Hello all. Before you all either got married or engaged did anyone ever visit their gf/bf in the USA for the maximum 90 days under the VWP? What were your experiences at the POE? I plan on doing this next year and am already getting worried about going through immigration and telling them that I plan on spending 90 days with my boyfriend. I will have a letter from my employer explaining that I am on extended leave and will be returning to work, and proof that I have a home and mortgage, but I'm concerned about the whole boyfriend issue raising a huge red flag! I'm tempted to just tell them that I'm visiting to do some travelling but I hate the thought of lying. If any of you did this I'd love to hear of your experiences - good and bad!
Many thanks.
Hi there,

I went for 88 days when our K1 was being processed and I think as long as you have enough evidence to prove to the immigration officer that you are returning (not just a return ticket), you should be fine. The officer I had was a bit of a pain as he did say you are not supposed to be coming to the US if you have a visa pending but he was just throwing his weight around. He did let me through in the end but it was a panicy time especially as I was delayed for 6 hours and it was 3am for me too. You can visit the US when a visa is pending but just take evidence with you.

They still can turn you away though but I can't imagine that is often.

I wouldn't worry.

Gisela
Old Oct 24th 2005, 4:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by whistlestop01
Hi there,

I went for 88 days when our K1 was being processed and I think as long as you have enough evidence to prove to the immigration officer that you are returning (not just a return ticket), you should be fine. The officer I had was a bit of a pain as he did say you are not supposed to be coming to the US if you have a visa pending but he was just throwing his weight around. He did let me through in the end but it was a panicy time especially as I was delayed for 6 hours and it was 3am for me too. You can visit the US when a visa is pending but just take evidence with you.

They still can turn you away though but I can't imagine that is often.

I wouldn't worry.

Gisela
Thanks for your reply, I shall stop worrying so much now.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 4:43 am
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all

My hubby (fiancee at the time) and I didn't dare risk anything,
so while my visa request was pending, I stayed at home.
However, that didn't stop him from flying over and visiting me!
We spent a total of 4 glorious weeks together, combined in 2 visits.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 5:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply, I shall stop worrying so much now.

There is absolutely no guarantee, whether a K-1 petition is pending or not, that you will be allowed to enter the US. The odds of rejection becomes a little higher once it is known that you have shown immigration intent. Be prepared at the POE to show all the documentation you can muster to prove you will be returning to your country at the end of your visit.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
There is absolutely no guarantee, whether a K-1 petition is pending or not, that you will be allowed to enter the US. The odds of rejection becomes a little higher once it is known that you have shown immigration intent. Be prepared at the POE to show all the documentation you can muster to prove you will be returning to your country at the end of your visit.
We don't have a K1 petition pending, we are just bf/gf at the moment. I was worried that even saying that I wanted to visit my bf for 90 days would be enough to cause problems at the POE. I'll take lots of evidence of my ties here and hope for the best. Thanks for all your replies.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 6:42 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have a K1 petition pending, we are just bf/gf at the moment. I was worried that even saying that I wanted to visit my bf for 90 days would be enough to cause problems at the POE. I'll take lots of evidence of my ties here and hope for the best. Thanks for all your replies.
I think that I would not say "I'm going to visit my BF for 90 days" at the POE.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
I think that I would not say "I'm going to visit my BF for 90 days" at the POE.
Then what would you say? From reading posts in this forum the number one rule seems to be 'Don't lie to the immigration officer at the POE'. I visit my bf quite a bit (always fly into Boston Logan) and each time that I'm asked my reason for visiting I always say 'vacation' and hope that they will let me through based on that. But each and every time they have asked me if I have friends or family in the US that I'll be visiting. I wonder if they ask that because I'm a female in my late 30's vacationing alone? Is there something about that fact that would make them suspicious of me somehow? Perhaps I just look suspicious! :-) When I arrive next year for my 90 day stay I'm going to tell them that I'm visiting for pleasure and plan to do some travelling around the country (which is true). But when they ask me if I will be visiting friends or family what would you suggest I say? I am a very very bad liar by the way! :-)
Old Oct 24th 2005, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we know that you have at least one friend, you must I am guessing have others.

Visiting friends....travelling

Ties to your own country requiring your return is the big issue coupled with the 90 day holiday, unusual in the US.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:34 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

But when they ask me if I will be visiting friends or family what would you suggest I say?
Well, you will be visiting friends won't you? Remember, in this context "boy" is an adjective... as is "good", "close", and "girl". It's your choice!

Ian
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:12 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

I spent the best part of 7 months in the USA last year, I was already married as well to a USC. I used the VWP for 90 days returned to the UK, met with the family and bank manager then flew back to the USA. I never mentioned the wife when I entered the USA, I just said to visit friends and to travel (which was also true).I was once asked how I could afford to travel so much (property sale) and if I was employed (I had a letter from my employer saying I was on extended vacation and due back at work in Nov.2004) but there were no major problems.

Just say that your meeting friends, they give you 90 days so you are entitled to use them.... just don't overstay...