Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

could I485 be amended after submission?

Wikiposts

could I485 be amended after submission?

Old Aug 1st 2003, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Trinity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default could I485 be amended after submission?

This is a just in case question.

We've requested a police certificate from Northern Ireland to see what it says. My husband was arrested and charged with "disordery conduct and indecent exposed" in about 1990. He was basically in the wrong place at the wrong time and the cop assumed he was with the hoods they had come to disperse, which he was not. He received a suspended sentence. I am assuming this will show on the police record?

On the I485, we originally marked "no" for have you been arrested.

Is it possible to change this answer based on what the police certificate shows?

Would we need a lawyer to sort it out for us?

There are no other complicating factors in our case.

Thanks.
Old Aug 1st 2003, 4:13 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: could I485 be amended after submission?

Originally posted by Trinity
This is a just in case question.

We've requested a police certificate from Northern Ireland to see what it says. My husband was arrested and charged with "disordery conduct and indecent exposed" in about 1990. He was basically in the wrong place at the wrong time and the cop assumed he was with the hoods they had come to disperse, which he was not. He received a suspended sentence. I am assuming this will show on the police record?

On the I485, we originally marked "no" for have you been arrested.

Is it possible to change this answer based on what the police certificate shows?

Would we need a lawyer to sort it out for us?

There are no other complicating factors in our case.

Thanks.
Hi:

At every interview, the DAO has a red pen to mark up the application to confirm answers or the AMEND them.

Errors are made all the time on the forms and they can be corrected at the interview. Go in with the records at that time, and perhaps you may want to say at the beginning "By the way, I made an error in completing the form, can I correct it?"

On the "misrepresentation" front, there is the concept of "timely retraction".

In regards to charnges -- the most common change is an address, or perhaps an after-born child -- so it is common to update the form.

Paranoia is a suitable emotion in dealing with BCIS -- but this isn't one of those times.
Old Aug 1st 2003, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

Trinity is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!