Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Copy of the Marriage Certificate?

Wikiposts

Copy of the Marriage Certificate?

Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

marcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud of
Exclamation Copy of the Marriage Certificate?

I've gotten answers to everything else, but was just wondering about this final point:

I have the marriage certificate that we got on the day we were married. It IS official and not just decorative, as I had previously thought (we were told by the celebrant that it's "As official as official gets," and there IS some weird number printed on the back and all that official-y type stuff). So, the million dollar question is:

IS A PHOTOCOPY OF THE FRONT AND BACK OF THIS CERTIFICATE OKAY TO SUBMIT AS OUR PROOF OF MARRIAGE?

Or do I need an original, certified copy to send along? I reeeeeeally want to get this application in TODAY.

So I've been told:
  • A photocopy of just the front of my birth certificate is sufficient proof of my citizenship.
  • I do not need a copy of my husband's birth certificate or passport at this point in time.

Also, final question, I just need to submit ONE passport photo of each of us, correct?

Thank you, as always.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:29 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Copy of the Marriage Certificate?

Make a copy, front and back, of the original and use that. Never send the original of anything. Be sure that any seals and filing marks are shown on the copy.

Originally Posted by marcsred
I've gotten answers to everything else, but was just wondering about this final point:

I have the marriage certificate that we got on the day we were married. It IS official and not just decorative, as I had previously thought (we were told by the celebrant that it's "As official as official gets," and there IS some weird number printed on the back and all that official-y type stuff). So, the million dollar question is:

IS A PHOTOCOPY OF THE FRONT AND BACK OF THIS CERTIFICATE OKAY TO SUBMIT AS OUR PROOF OF MARRIAGE?

Or do I need an original, certified copy to send along? I reeeeeeally want to get this application in TODAY.

So I've been told:
  • A photocopy of just the front of my birth certificate is sufficient proof of my citizenship.
  • I do not need a copy of my husband's birth certificate or passport at this point in time.
Also, final question, I just need to submit ONE passport photo of each of us, correct?

Thank you, as always.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

marcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rete
Make a copy, front and back, of the original and use that. Never send the original of anything. Be sure that any seals and filing marks are shown on the copy.
Thanks so much. There aren't really any raised seals or anything like that, but the number that's printed on it is obviously on the copy.

Does anyone know about the pictures? I read on the form that one should be good, but then read on one of these sites that four would be required. But I don't know if that was four for the WHOLE process, or just the submission of the I-130.

Sorry guys, I know you're probably tired of me by now, but I've read everything, it's just that with something as important as this, I want confirmation from people that have DONE it.

Cheers,

Inez
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcsred
Does anyone know about the pictures? I read on the form that one should be good, but then read on one of these sites that four would be required. But I don't know if that was four for the WHOLE process, or just the submission of the I-130.
As long as you include whatever it says on the current I-130 instructions at www.uscis.gov, you should be fine. If it asks for one photo for the I-130, then go with that.

Rene