British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Converting to LTR driving vs flying (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/converting-ltr-driving-vs-flying-929220/)

klawrence Nov 12th 2019 5:39 pm

Converting to LTR driving vs flying

My UKC husband’s visa has recently been approved. We plan to live in Massachusetts, but will likely spend a few weeks initially living with my mom now in Buffalo. This means we’d fly into Toronto, then drive over the border at Niagara Falls. Is the process for driving into the US the same as it would be if we flew into a US airport to convert his visa to a green card? Also, we wrote on his application we’d be living with my dad in Massachusetts because we genuinely thought that. Could there be any issues if our initial address is different than the application? Thank you!

Noorah101 Nov 12th 2019 6:51 pm

Re: Converting to LTR driving vs flying

It's the same.

No problem with the different address, just make sure upon entry that you give them the correct current address so they can mail the plastic green card to the right address.

Rene

Rete Nov 12th 2019 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by klawrence (Post 12762946)
My UKC husband’s visa has recently been approved. We plan to live in Massachusetts, but will likely spend a few weeks initially living with my mom now in Buffalo. This means we’d fly into Toronto, then drive over the border at Niagara Falls. Is the process for driving into the US the same as it would be if we flew into a US airport to convert his visa to a green card? Also, we wrote on his application we’d be living with my dad in Massachusetts because we genuinely thought that. Could there be any issues if our initial address is different than the application? Thank you!

Why are you wanting to change it to your mother's address if you are only going to be there for a few weeks. It is going to take longer than 3 weeks to get the green card so you will have to be changing the address for your husband and separately for yourself.

Rete Nov 12th 2019 7:48 pm

BTW what is LTR?

civilservant Nov 13th 2019 1:00 pm

Long term resident? Not sure.

If it is that it's not the correct term for the US. It's LPR. Legal Permanent Resident.

Rete Nov 13th 2019 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12763355)
Long term resident? Not sure.

If it is that it's not the correct term for the US. It's LPR. Legal Permanent Resident.

Hadn't thought of that one. I was thinking perhaps they meant Legal Temporary Resident if the marriage was less than 2 years in length.