Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Converting GBP to USD on I-864

Converting GBP to USD on I-864

Old Aug 31st 2022, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

epiphanyuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Converting GBP to USD on I-864

Hello all. I will be adding my (applicant) income to the affidavit to make up the minimum as it will continue from the same source. All of my income is initially received in USD, which is then converted to GBP and obviously GBP is on my tax returns. So there are two options that I can see...

1) Use the dollar amount I initially received at the source before it was converted to GBP.

2) Convert the GBP on my tax returns to USD. If I did this, which exchange rate would I use for each year? The rate is vastly different today than when I earned my 21-22 and 20-21 income.

For example, if I made 40k GBP last tax year and converted that based on today's rate, the figure would be 46k USD. Whereas if I used the rate around filing time in January it would be 54k USD.

I know it's probably not a huge deal since both are over the minimum required, I just want to make sure I use what the USCIS would use to determine the exchange rate of historical income.

Last edited by epiphanyuk; Aug 31st 2022 at 10:02 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2022, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

porkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Converting GBP to USD on I-864

I think following the IRS rules would be the most prudent https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...exchange-rates
Old Sep 1st 2022, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

epiphanyuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you! Very helpful.
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 1:19 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I find your question quite puzzling. Are you talking about the U.S. I-864 affidavit of support? You state you have a source of income denominated in U.S. Dollars. The source of income in U.S. Dollars will continue in the U.S. What is there to convert?