Conundrum ...

Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:11 pm
Gentlemen, the Queen!

Location: Aberdeen, United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland ...
Kaenei is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Conundrum ...

I know you guys don't know me, and that what I'm about to ask is a personal decision only I can make but I've been wrestling with this for months and I'm just no closer to a solution. I'm hoping the experiences of people here can at least offer an opinion.

I'm very much in love with my American girl, and I'm fully committed to her. Due to her circumstances it will be making the move across the pond. This is likely to happen "within" (Given the nature of immigration) within three or four years.

Currently I have a good set of prerequisite exam results for entry into a wide range of degrees but other than that I'm not qualified. I'm absolutely torn with what to do. If I begin a degree it will take four or five years and then there will be the loans to be pay back which will take many years. Perhaps I'm a terrible person for feeling that I can't be apart from her for eight or nine years even though she says she would support it.

I know you guys don't know me and I'm just another username but this is the only place where people might have any experience of this.

It's not a choice - I will be with her. But do I travel to the US under qualified, a burden on my girl or do I try and fool myself into accepting an eight year gap.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Conundrum ...

Not sure what your issue is and where you get the 3 or 4 year timeline to get an immigration visa to the US to live and work.

You can either have her apply for a Fiancee Visa for you which will allow you to apply to the US Consulate in London for the K-1 so you can enter the US, marry and remain to adjust status to permanent resident

or

You can come to the US, get married, go back to the UK to live and work, the Mrs will file for your immediate relative visa here and when the initial I-130 is approved you will continue on to the interview at the US Consulate for the IR Visa itself.

PS I see you have posted similar questions two months ago. Have you read any of those responses.

Either one will take 6 to 8 months to complete.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:38 pm
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kaenei
I know you guys don't know me, and that what I'm about to ask is a personal decision only I can make but I've been wrestling with this for months and I'm just no closer to a solution. I'm hoping the experiences of people here can at least offer an opinion.

I'm very much in love with my American girl, and I'm fully committed to her. Due to her circumstances it will be making the move across the pond. This is likely to happen "within" (Given the nature of immigration) within three or four years.

Currently I have a good set of prerequisite exam results for entry into a wide range of degrees but other than that I'm not qualified. I'm absolutely torn with what to do. If I begin a degree it will take four or five years and then there will be the loans to be pay back which will take many years. Perhaps I'm a terrible person for feeling that I can't be apart from her for eight or nine years even though she says she would support it.

I know you guys don't know me and I'm just another username but this is the only place where people might have any experience of this.

It's not a choice - I will be with her. But do I travel to the US under qualified, a burden on my girl or do I try and fool myself into accepting an eight year gap.
I'm no expert, and my position only bears vague similarities to yours, but if she's the girl then make the move. There's no telling what the future holds, but (and call me soppy if you like) love should come ahead of career. you stand every change of resuming your studies once you're in the US, there's nothing unique about academic studies, but love can be (says the twice divorced guy, but we'll overlook that ;-) )

Just my 2p, there's no right or wrong answer I guess, so follow either your heart or your brain, whichever has the largest say.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:42 pm
Gentlemen, the Queen!

Originally Posted by Rete
Not sure what your issue is and where you get the 3 or 4 year timeline to get an immigration visa to the US to live and work.

You can either have her apply for a Fiancee Visa for you which will allow you to apply to the US Consulate in London for the K-1 so you can enter the US, marry and remain to adjust status to permanent resident

or

You can come to the US, get married, go back to the UK to live and work, the Mrs will file for your immediate relative visa here and when the initial I-130 is approved you will continue on to the interview at the US Consulate for the IR Visa itself.

PS I see you have posted similar questions two months ago. Have you read any of those responses.

Either one will take 6 to 8 months to complete.

I think you might have the wrong end of the stick. I was talking more about if I complete a degree in the UK it will require three or four years to pay back the Student loan before I can move to the US. I am not even sure how to begin to study in the US when I do not have American, but Scots qualifications.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't take 3 or 4 years to move to the USA, unless you have highly unusual circumstances (prior immigration problems, arrests, etc). Under normal circumstances, it should take under a year.

You are right, that is a choice only you can make. But I see nothing wrong with making the move sooner rather than later, and if you want to continue your studies in the USA, you can.

Rene
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:45 pm
Gentlemen, the Queen!

Originally Posted by pwhite8314
I'm no expert, and my position only bears vague similarities to yours, but if she's the girl then make the move. There's no telling what the future holds, but (and call me soppy if you like) love should come ahead of career. you stand every change of resuming your studies once you're in the US, there's nothing unique about academic studies, but love can be (says the twice divorced guy, but we'll overlook that ;-) )

Just my 2p, there's no right or wrong answer I guess, so follow either your heart or your brain, whichever has the largest say.
True words, my good man.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

My Brit husband came over on a K1 fiancee visa in 2004. About a year later, after his permanent residence was approved, he started taking classes and has been ever since. I don't know about costs involved in the UK vs. US, but they may be similar. I don't see why you would think you can only study in the UK, instead of the US. Why don't you start the K1 process, and once you get here, start looking into where you'd like to study. If she starts the paperwork now, you'd have your visa inside 6-9months, not 3-4 years (unless she isn't a US citizen).
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you might have the wrong end of the stick. I was talking more about if I complete a degree in the UK it will require three or four years to pay back the Student loan before I can move to the US. I am not even sure how to begin to study in the US when I do not have American, but Scots qualifications.
Ah, I misunderstood you as well. You can pay back the student loan from the USA, so that takes care of that. You are eligible to study in the USA after you get here...just check with the university you want to attend to see what their entry qualfications are. You might be making this too hard on yourself.

Rene
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:51 pm
Gentlemen, the Queen!

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Ah, I misunderstood you as well. You can pay back the student loan from the USA, so that takes care of that. You are eligible to study in the USA after you get here...just check with the university you want to attend to see what their entry qualfications are. You might be making this too hard on yourself.

Rene
I did not know I could pay back student loans abroad ... Interesting!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:52 pm

Sure, they don't care where the money comes from...as long as they get paid. LOL
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

So what you are saying is that you have a USC girl friend that you love and can't live without but that you have no intention of marrying and are therefore looking for a way to legally live and work in the US so that you both can be together.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Why can't you pay your UK Student loan from the US? Others have.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:17 pm
Concierge

As Rene said, all you do is write a check and/or make a monthly payment online.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what the student loan arrangement is in the UK, but it must be very different from the US because this is a common misunderstanding I've seen here.

Yes, you can pay your debts from anywhere, unless there is some weird caveat in your student loans. But plenty of members here are paying student loans in the UK.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:26 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I am not even sure how to begin to study in the US when I [have] Scots qualifications.
Yep. You're hosed.

You're worrying about details. One non-detail is that studying in the US is usually a butt load more expensive than studying in the UK. With that in mind, choose your path and move forward.