Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Congressional help-could it hurt our case

Congressional help-could it hurt our case

Old Aug 19th 2001, 8:33 pm
Sophie

I would like to send a letter to the Senator about our case. We received an RFE on
August 4,01 and the request asked us to send the birth certificate of the
beneficiary. (This is only supposed to be needed at the interview) We sent our
petition in on May 14,01 And our 1st NOA was June 1,01.

My question is this: Could this letter in any way hurt my case, (I mean could the INS
officer get upset that Im doing an inquiry through the congressman, and instead of
speeding things up, purposely slow it down!

Old Aug 19th 2001, 9:21 pm
Michael Voight

sophie wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I don't think it will hurt, but I don't see how it is going to help. Comply with the
RFE. The RFE shows they are currently processing your case.

Michael

Old Aug 20th 2001, 3:12 am
Javaranger

Sophie, As far as I remember, you're CSC, right? Yeah, I was pissed too. Even wrote a
letter to my representative, as well as a really acidic one for the INS. But, then I
let it sit for a couple days and thought about it. Didn't send either of them.

Just go with the RFE. At least, that's what I'm doing. Also swallowed my pride and
wrote a nicer, calmer humbler letter elaborating on my situation for whoever's
handling my case. I'm saving the representative should anything else come up.

1st NOA-June 4 RFE-July 24 Sent off RFE Aug 9th, still waiting on return receipt

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 20th 2001, 3:30 am
Cassiedee

Can you tell me which one is your Service Center? I'm afraid they might ask that from
me,also. This is the second time I've read something like this in which an RFE is
received asking for the alien fiance's birth certificate. Anyone knows why they are
asking for this? Is this just a way to slow things down?

Thanks

Michael Voight <[email protected]>
    >
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I would like to send a letter to the Senator about our case. We received an RFE[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > on August 4,01 and the request asked us to send the birth certificate of the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > beneficiary. (This is only supposed to be needed at the interview) We sent our[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > petition in on May 14,01 And our 1st NOA was June 1,01.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > My question is this: Could this letter in any way hurt my case, (I mean could the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > INS officer get upset that Im doing an inquiry through the congressman, and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > instead of speeding things up, purposely slow it down![/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 20th 2001, 8:11 am
Michael Voight

Cassiedee wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

We got an RFE for a certified copy of my stepdaughter's birth certificate. The
original green card didn't have her first name, just middle and last... I don't see
why they don't just look at the documentation they already have, like the visa...
They have no documentation that was submitted that doesn't have her first name.

Old Aug 20th 2001, 9:20 am
Dianemartin

Maybe as this seems to be happening more often us that have yet to start should send
the alien birth certificate in as a matter of course, I know it wont help those that
have already sent their application in. Cassiedee <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > sophie wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I would like to send a letter to the Senator about our case. We received an RFE[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > on August 4,01 and the request asked us to send the birth certificate of the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > beneficiary. (This is only supposed to be needed at the interview) We sent our[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > petition in on May 14,01 And our 1st NOA was June 1,01.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > My question is this: Could this letter in any way hurt my case, (I mean could[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > the INS officer get upset that Im doing an inquiry through the congressman, and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > instead of speeding things up, purposely slow it down![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I don't think it will hurt, but I don't see how it is going to help. Comply with[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the RFE. The RFE shows they are currently processing your case.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Michael[/usenetquote2]

Old Aug 20th 2001, 11:56 am
Andy Platt

>
    >

No they don't do this to slow things down. It's much better for them if they can
approve it without an RFE clogging up their mail system too.

To the original poster:

I would contact your representatives, the director of the specific service center and
the INS commissioner, point out that they are exceeding the requirements specified by
the INS themselves and that they should stop doing this or change the I-129F form to
specify it as a required document.

Of course, you do this after you've responded to the RFE!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Aug 20th 2001, 12:13 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Andy Platt wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
I wish that everyone that has had this RFE for the BC of the alien fiance would post
here, including which service center they are using. It would be very helpful to know
whether this is an ignorant isolated officer that is making these requests, or
whether there is a new "hidden" requirement that some INS bozo forgot to put in the
directions. Alvena
--
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice; this is my personal opinion, posted
for the purpose of discussion only.
---
K-1 FAQ: http://www.k1faq.com Jonathan's K-1 pages:
http://pages.prodigy.net/alixtcat/immigrat.htm Doc Steen's Marriage Visa Information
Pages: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

Old Aug 20th 2001, 12:54 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Alvena Ferreira wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
I am mailing a letter to the director of the CSC today, requesting whether the fiance
visa petition requires the foreign fiance's birth certificate, and stating in the
letter that if this is not a requirement, that I would appreciate the director taking
appropriate action to correct this situation.

I don't know if I will receive a response or not, however I am including a SASE
envelope with the letter, just in case.

Alvena
--
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice; this is my personal opinion, posted
for the purpose of discussion only.
---
K-1 FAQ: http://www.k1faq.com Jonathan's K-1 pages:
http://pages.prodigy.net/alixtcat/immigrat.htm Doc Steen's Marriage Visa Information
Pages: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

Old Aug 20th 2001, 8:39 pm
Sophie

[email protected] (Cassiedee)
[usenetquote2]> > Its the CSC that Im dealing with, thanks for all your advice. I think I too will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > just sit on this letter that I wrote to the congressman and wait till[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > mid-september to send it if I still have not heard anything![/usenetquote2]

sophie wrote:
[usenetquote2]> > > I would like to send a letter to the Senator about our case. We received an RFE[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > on August 4,01 and the request asked us to send the birth certificate of the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > beneficiary. (This is only supposed to be needed at the interview) We sent our[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > petition in on May 14,01 And our 1st NOA was June 1,01.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > My question is this: Could this letter in any way hurt my case, (I mean could[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > the INS officer get upset that Im doing an inquiry through the congressman, and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > instead of speeding things up, purposely slow it down![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I don't think it will hurt, but I don't see how it is going to help. Comply with[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the RFE. The RFE shows they are currently processing your case.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Michael[/usenetquote2]