Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Confusion of wiki on K1 London Applicants vs what I have just recieved in post?!

Wikiposts

Confusion of wiki on K1 London Applicants vs what I have just recieved in post?!

Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold
Default Confusion of wiki on K1 London Applicants vs what I have just recieved in post?!

Good morning (again!)

I have been using the wiki and posts on here to basically guide me through the K1 visa process and it has all been extremely helpful however this morning I have ended up getting completely confused...

My fiancee got the NOA2 a couple of week ago and then this morning I got a nice brown envelope in the post from the London embassy... yey!

Anyway I assumed this was the 'packet 3' people have been referring to.. however it doesn't seem to have any forms attatched and doesnt match the description in the wiki and was just wondering if anyone could shed light on what I actually have recieved?
It basically consists of 10 sheets of A4 stapled together, the first saying pleased to inform you they have received the approval petition and giving me my case number...

sheets 2-3 are 'instructions for immigrant visa applicants' and give 3 steps on what I have to do..
step 1: download form OF-230 part 1 off the www and send it back....they provide link but form doesn't seem to be on link..
step 2: Gather documentation (birth certificate, passport, police certificate, court and prison records, military records, photographs, evidence of support, marriage certificates, original documents, translations, medical examination)
step 3: one have all documents sign a statement (provided) and send it back to get scheduled an appointment.

Then the rest of the sheets are about the medical examination Q+A's, where it is and medical questionnaire to be completed..

Anyway according to the wiki package 3 should consist of forms DS-230, DS-156, DS156K, DS2000 and form IV-15...so now I am at a total loss of what I have received and what to do?!?

Sophie
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion of wiki on K1 London Applicants vs what I have just recieved in post?!

OF-230 is the same as DS-230, so that clears that one up. As for the rest of it, perhaps they sent you the wrong packet (since yours is a non-immigrant visa). Sounds like they mistakenly sent you the packet for an Immigrant Visa.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you figure it out.

Rene
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:05 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion of wiki on K1 London Applicants vs what I have just recieved in post?!

Go to the US Consulate's London website and hunt for the form since the link doesn't work. Print out the other forms from the site that are needed and you should be set to go. Both sets of forms for non and immigration visas are the same.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:06 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

S,

You've described a 'packet 3'.

Recognize that OF-230 and DS-230 are the same thing, the former being obsolete terminology and the latter current terminology.

In addition to this BE web site, have you also used the US embassy in London web site for consulate-specific information?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
Good morning (again!)

I have been using the wiki and posts on here to basically guide me through the K1 visa process and it has all been extremely helpful however this morning I have ended up getting completely confused...

My fiancee got the NOA2 a couple of week ago and then this morning I got a nice brown envelope in the post from the London embassy... yey!

Anyway I assumed this was the 'packet 3' people have been referring to.. however it doesn't seem to have any forms attatched and doesnt match the description in the wiki and was just wondering if anyone could shed light on what I actually have recieved?
It basically consists of 10 sheets of A4 stapled together, the first saying pleased to inform you they have received the approval petition and giving me my case number...

sheets 2-3 are 'instructions for immigrant visa applicants' and give 3 steps on what I have to do..
step 1: download form OF-230 part 1 off the www and send it back....they provide link but form doesn't seem to be on link..
step 2: Gather documentation (birth certificate, passport, police certificate, court and prison records, military records, photographs, evidence of support, marriage certificates, original documents, translations, medical examination)
step 3: one have all documents sign a statement (provided) and send it back to get scheduled an appointment.

Then the rest of the sheets are about the medical examination Q+A's, where it is and medical questionnaire to be completed..

Anyway according to the wiki package 3 should consist of forms DS-230, DS-156, DS156K, DS2000 and form IV-15...so now I am at a total loss of what I have received and what to do?!?

Sophie
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Noorah101
OF-230 is the same as DS-230, so that clears that one up. As for the rest of it, perhaps they sent you the wrong packet (since yours is a non-immigrant visa). Sounds like they mistakenly sent you the packet for an Immigrant Visa.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you figure it out.

Rene
Thanks rene, I think this might be what has happened. Looking at the covering letter it seems to be from the 'Immigrant visa branch' and the instructions are labeled 'instructions for immigrant visa applicants'.

I thought it was a bit weird as under the evidence of support section it asks me to download and fill out a I-864 but I thought it was the I-134 for the K1?!

So do you think I should phone up the embassy and ask them to send me the correct package? Or just go ahead and fill in the forms I know they should of asked for and send back the statement even though it relates to an immigrant visa?

confusing!!

Sophie

Sophie
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
Go to the US Consulate's London website and hunt for the form since the link doesn't work. Print out the other forms from the site that are needed and you should be set to go. Both sets of forms for non and immigration visas are the same.
Thank you Rete,
I phoned up the embassy in a panic and they told me to print off the forms I needed and send them in and it would be fine.

One question though the guy on the phone along with telling me to filling in a DS156, Ds156k, DS230 part 1 and an Iv-15 also said do a I-864 affidavit of support, is this correct because I thought this was not filled in until the AOS and instead I was meant to fill in a I-134?!

Sophie
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:38 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

For the K-1 it is an I-134. If the USC fiancee is up to it they can do the I-864 as well. It can always be used for the AOS filing after your marriage.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:41 am
Just Joined

Trekguy is on a distinguished road

You did get the right packet the K1 is processed by the immigrant department and the forms are the same. Even at the interview you are considered as getting an immigrant visa so don't worry its normal.

I got the same thing and you can fill the forms online and print off and make copies and send the forms back unsigned with the checklist (tick the checklist in the boxes of what you have)

And it is an I134 you need to fill in but you take that to the interview along with a copy of the federal tax return and w2 (don't post it)

Here is the link to all the forms

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...visaforms.html
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, I have now downloaded all the relevant forms so am I correct in thinking what I do now is:
1) send the forms back they require such as the ds156 and ds156k > these should be unsigned and then part one of the ds230 whi:ch should be signed
2) schedule the medical and gather up all supporting documentation including I-134
3) once this is done tick all relevant boxes on checklist and send back statement saying docs have been gathered and am ready for appointment
4) go to embassy with all relevant documentation, fees etc and have interview

Sophie
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:29 am
Just Joined

Trekguy is on a distinguished road

Yep thats about it

dont forget to send 2 copies of ds156 and make copies of everything for yourself before you send them just in case.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

gstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry late to the party, but looks like you have it figured.

I had packet 3, same as yours. Just a letter and documents. You have to download the forms. You can also fill the boxes in on -line and print them off. For the DS-156 (x2) this has to be done online as it generates a barcode. Make sure the printer has plenty of ink and the internet connection is good! I had a connection problem and ended up doing the WHOLE thing 3 times!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:18 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps one of you could add a note to the wiki answering this concern?
IE, what the wiki says and what you got are one and the same, correct? Even though they appear different?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

On my way home now and as soon as I have the documentation infront of me again I shalll out something on wiki :-)