Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Confused...If Married and filing for K3..why I-129F (alien fiance fom?)

Wikiposts

Confused...If Married and filing for K3..why I-129F (alien fiance fom?)

Old Jul 20th 2002, 7:20 pm
Todd

Default Confused...If Married and filing for K3..why I-129F (alien fiance fom?)

I will marry next week to my Korean fiance. We are preparing for the I-130 while she
is here. She will return to South Korea in 3 weeks. I see that we will need to file
the I-130, then approx a month after mailing the I-130 We need to send in the form
I-129F. But this is an Alien Fiance form....Am I missing something here?

Any advice on how to expedite this process so she can return here sooner would be
appreciated. I have been reading a lot about I-130's, K3's etc, but it get very
confused when I see that the K3 requires the I-129F form, and this form is a form
for Alien Fiance.

Thanks for any hep, Tod

Old Jul 21st 2002, 1:20 am
Girard Bourque

Default Re: Confused...If Married and filing for K3..why I-129F (alien fiance fom?)

When the US past the LIFE ACT there was no form for the K-3 because there was no K-3.
Since this was a new visa all the INS did was to set-up up the procedures and
modified the I-129F instructions. I questioned the same thing also. The biggest
problem for me was why pay the extra money to file the form, but it works out on the
back side, because when they enter the US on a K-3 they will not need an advance
parole to leave the country if they want to go home for a visit. So it appears that
it was mostly to speed up the process of making the K-3 available.

Jerry

Old Jul 21st 2002, 2:20 am
Ranjini

Default Re: Confused...If Married and filing for K3..why I-129F (alien fiance fom?)

Read here in this excellent link the various options open to you. Read very carefully
the "tourist adjustment" link and decide if that is an option for you:
http://k1.exit.com/spouse1.html Read more about "tourist adjustment" in this link:
http://k1.exit.com/touristhome.html You will learn here how it is possible for your
fiancee to remain in the US after your marriage. The decision to go this way is
entirely upto you. But this woud be the quickest way.

<<We need to send in the form I-129F. But this is an Alien
    > Fiance form....Am I missing something here?>>

Read more about the K3 visa in this link:
http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/k1faq.htm If you had read the instructions
that came with the I-129F form you will find that this for can also be used to
obtain the K3 visa. Read para 12. carefully. http://k1.exit.com/I-129F.pdf Hope
this helps, Ranjini

"Todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I will marry next week to my Korean fiance. We are preparing for the I-130
    > while she is here. She will return to South Korea in 3 weeks. I see that we
    > will need to file the I-130, then approx a month after mailing the I-130 We
    > need to send in the form I-129F. But this is an
Alien
    > Fiance form....Am I missing something here?
    >
    > Any advice on how to expedite this process so she can return here
sooner
    > would be appreciated. I have been reading a lot about I-130's, K3's etc, but it get
    > very confused when I see that the K3 requires the I-129F form, and this form is
a
    > form for Alien Fiance.
    >
    > Thanks for any hep, Tod

Old Jul 25th 2002, 10:20 am
Paul

Boy if she is here and you get married......don't you just need to do an adjustment
of status?

"Todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I will marry next week to my Korean fiance. We are preparing for the I-130
    > while she is here. She will return to South Korea in 3 weeks. I see that we
    > will need to file the I-130, then approx a month after mailing the I-130 We
    > need to send in the form I-129F. But this is an
Alien
    > Fiance form....Am I missing something here?
    >
    > Any advice on how to expedite this process so she can return here
sooner
    > would be appreciated. I have been reading a lot about I-130's, K3's etc, but it get
    > very confused when I see that the K3 requires the I-129F form, and this form is
a
    > form for Alien Fiance.
    >
    > Thanks for any hep, Tod

Old Jul 25th 2002, 9:20 pm
Des

Todd,

if she is "here" (which I take to mean in the US), then get married and immediately
file for Adjustment of Status including the I-131 Advance Parole so that she can
leave the country for up to one year (I think I took several trips on mine, and was
out of the country on AP for 8 months at one time). She does not need to return to
Korea for a K-3, you should just file for AOS.

You need to file with your local INS I-130 I-485 I-693 (medical, depending on whether
they want it at time of filing or time of interview) I-131 Advance Parole for her to
leave the country (with reason and flight tickets attached so that they can grant it
at the office directly, or within a few days) I-765 Employment Authorization for her
(if she would like to work) I-864 Affidavit of Support (you need to prove your level
of income and submit your last three year's tax returns)

In additional info, you'll need proof of her I-94 /visa, both birth certificates,
copies of passports...

That's it! You'll pay a hefty fee, be given or sent appointment letters for
fingerprinting and the interview, and then wait. With the I-131 in hand, your wife
will be able to visit Korea in the meantime.

Hope this helps,
- Des