Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Confused by email from London Consulate re I-134!!

Wikiposts

Confused by email from London Consulate re I-134!!

Old Nov 18th 2002, 12:39 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Confused by email from London Consulate re I-134!!

Hi everyone,

I sent the London Consulate an email over the weekend with some questions regarding the I-134 for the K-1 visa. I asked three questions:

1) I earn just over the 125% minimum -- is the difference between my income and the minimum sufficient?

2) Can we use my fiance's assets to support our I-134? If so, how?

3) How many tax returns does the London Consulate require to accompany the I-134? Are tax transcripts sufficient?

This morning I received a response from the London Consulate in my inbox. All it says is:

"You do not need to worry regarding the 125% as this only applies to the spouse visa applicants."

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I missing something?!?! Everything I have read and heard indicates that K-1 visa applicants' sponsors MUST make at least 125% minimum. This is the first time I'm hearing anything about this requirement NOT being applicable to the K-1 visa.

Does anyone have any ideas on this??

While I'm impressed I got a response so quickly, I'm also very disappointed that my other two questions were totally ignored and left unanswered. Especially since they are very simple to answer (not involving judgement calls on the part of the person responding; they either do or don't accept the fiance's assets, etc.)

So, off to send another email to them -- this time I think I'll send each question separately, to make sure I actually get an answer.

~ Jenney
Old Nov 18th 2002, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

You already make above the 125 percent minimum so there is no need to worry. You cannot use your UK fiance's assets to support the 134 and you don't need to anyway. I sent copies of 3 years of tax returns to my fiance to take to the interview with him, along with a letter from my Bank stating how much my deposits were over the past year. I also sent a letter from my employer, stating my employment status and salary. I sent more than was needed for the interview.

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Nov 18th 2002, 5:31 am
Scarlett

Default Re: Confused by email from London Consulate re I-134!!

>This morning I received a response from the London Consulate in my
    >inbox. All it says is:
    >"You do not need to worry regarding the 125% as this only applies to
    > the spouse visa applicants."

they are the ones making the decision. accept it and be happy! oh and - take a
copy of their email to the interview in case anything comes up regarding the
I-134 so you can give them back what they said.

regards
-=-
scarlett

Old Nov 18th 2002, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Tiff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jenney & Mark
Hi everyone,

I sent the London Consulate an email over the weekend with some questions regarding the I-134 for the K-1 visa. I asked three questions:

1) I earn just over the 125% minimum -- is the difference between my income and the minimum sufficient?

2) Can we use my fiance's assets to support our I-134? If so, how?

3) How many tax returns does the London Consulate require to accompany the I-134? Are tax transcripts sufficient?

This morning I received a response from the London Consulate in my inbox. All it says is:

"You do not need to worry regarding the 125% as this only applies to the spouse visa applicants."

!!!!!!!!!!!!

~ Jenney
I imagine they did not answer the other two questions as their answer to the first one puts the answers to 2 and 3 as N/A. That is the way I read it??

I am curious to see what the response is to your future emails as I think they are confused, but maybe it is just me that is confused (that is not a hard thing to do)

But I would agree with what others have replied several times with this situation and just go with it. You make over the 125% and you will be fine. No where does it say you have to make X amount over the 125%, it just states you need to make _______ and you do. We all know this is a mind boggling process and I think we all tend to think to much into what they are needing and wanting.

Old Nov 18th 2002, 3:26 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Scarlett
they are the ones making the decision. accept it and be happy! oh and - take a copy of their email to the interview in case anything comes up regarding the I-134 so you can give them back what they said.
I'm trying, I'm trying!! I'm a bit hesitant because it wouldn't be the first time that a bureaucrat in an agency filled with other bureaucrats says something contrary to what the actuality is. But since I *do* make over the 125% now anyway, I'm not going to worry much about it -- and Mark will *definitely* have a copy of this email to bring with him!!

I suppose what surprises me was that this thing about the 125% only being for spousal visas is the first I've heard of it. Otherwise, why are there other US-UK couples out there scrambling to get co-sponsors lined up, because they don't meet the 125%?? I know I'm not the only person to have had anxiety over this; but had I known this from the very beginning, it would have saved me a lot of havoc.

What surprises me even more is that no one else seems surprised by this new bit of information, that the London Consulate does NOT require 125% for K-1 visas!! Everyone else has been reading the same stuff I've been reading -- so why am I the only one surprised?!

For instance, the K1 FAQ says, "Altho the I-134 does not state minimum income requirements, there is a near 100% chance you will be required to show 125% of the poverty level for your household including your fiance(e) and any children."

A near 100% chance?!? That statement and the London Consulate's response are like night and day!

(While I realize the K1 FAQ is unofficial information, it's still recommended reading for K-1 applicants; I'm just surprised that the response I received is the *complete* opposite of something like what was stated in the FAQ. I really never saw that coming!!)

Originally posted by Tiff:
I imagine they did not answer the other two questions as their answer to the first one puts the answers to 2 and 3 as N/A. That is the way I read it??

Perhaps.... but I'm probably going to provide tax transcripts anyway, just to be on the safe side.

~ Jenney
Old Nov 19th 2002, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Jenney,
I'm surprised at the content of their email, however it's nothing to get wound up about.
Just carry on assuming you need the 125% evidence (which you have)
and as someone else said, get Mark to take the email to the interview.
The process is stressful enough without getting yourself in a tiswas over something that you have "in hand" anyway.

Good luck to you both