Wikiposts

Confused - Catch-22?

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Rich_L is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confused - Catch-22?

The state I am moving to - CA - has the MRMIP 'major risk' healthcare plan to cover people who cannot obtain individual coverage as a 'fall-back'.

Also I think it's a bit late in the day to suddenly start changing my supposed destination!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:29 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Are you certain you qualify for this even if you enter the US as a CR-1? After all you don't or haven't paid US taxes, etc.

Originally Posted by Rich_L
Yes I see your point, I'll be calling round a number of places to ask for 'money no object' quotes, though I suspect I might be told that they simply won't cover me on an individual plan.

That said, I'm starting to think the CA state subsidised program should be adequate - the CO's exact words are 'proof of health insurance in the US that covers pre-existing conditions', not 'proof of HI that covers pre-existing conditions with no exclusion periods or waiting lists'.

I'm kicking myself for not having the information to hand at the time, but lessons learned I suppose.

Many thanks to everyone for your contributions - I hope to be able to create a 'start to finish' successful post in due course.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:36 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Are you certain you qualify for this even if you enter the US as a CR-1? After all you don't or haven't paid US taxes, etc.

I just looked this up and the wiki said:

The California Major Risk Medical Insurance Program (MRMIP) provides health insurance for Californian citizens who are unable to obtain coverage in the individual health insurance market because of their pre-existing conditions. Californians qualifying for the program, participate in the cost of their coverage by paying premiums. The State of California supplements those premiums to cover the cost of care in MRMIP. Tobacco tax funds currently subsidize the MRMIP.

You aren't a citizen.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:38 am
Just Joined

The qualifications from here (http://www.mrmib.ca.gov/MRMIB/MRMIP.shtml) are:

- California resident.
- Cannot be eligible for both Part A and Part B of Medicare, unless eligible solely because of end-stage renal disease.
- Cannot be eligible to purchase any health insurance for continuation of benefits under Cobra or CalCobra
- Unable to secure adequate coverage

The definition they use for resident in the progam handbook (http://www.mrmib.ca.gov/MRMIB/MRMIPBRO.pdf) is:

"You must be a resident of the state of California. A resident is a person who is present in California with intent to remain in California except when absent for transitory or temporary purposes"

Which seems to fit the bill for a CR1?

Last edited by Rich_L; Feb 23rd 2010 at 7:40 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are quite a few schemes you could benefit from in CA as a recent immigrant. I read an article mentioning that many were getting the chop as Arnie is short of dosh.

I do not remember this one being mentioned.

It would appear to be limited in numbers, somebody has to die or otherwise leave for another spot to be availbale.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:44 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Also I think it's a bit late in the day to suddenly start changing my supposed destination!
Thank the conoff for pointing out that you'd have trouble getting insurance, and state that you've decided to move to MA after research since there you can get coverage.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Yes I noted the wiki was incorrect in using the word citizen.

Why aren't you just staying in the UK? Are you planning on working in the US and contributing to the tax roles? Or are you disabled?

Why can't you afford private healthcare?
In short:

1. Because my wife lives in California and her career is in the film industry.

2. Absolutely, for many years. My condition is not debilitating in the slightest - it doesn't even have any symptoms and the treatment is 3 x generic blood pressure drugs a day to manage my BP (I'm only 27 - it was caught early by chance). There is a 30% chance of it progressing to ESRD in the next 20 years or so. but it appears any form of kidney condition is an automatic denial - hence the difficulty in obtaining medical insurance through normal means. But day to day it doesn't affect me in the slightest and as a well-educated person who has been working in the City for the last 6 years I'd hope to continue that progress in the US.

3. I can quite easily afford private healthcare - money is not an issue, it is actually getting a quote at all which is the hard part.

I have to say I didn't particularly want to splurge my medical history on here, but if it's to dispel the notion I'm moving to CA to chill on the beach and live off people's taxes for the rest of my life then I suppose I have to do so.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:05 am
Concierge

In short:

I have to say I didn't particularly want to splurge my medical history on here, but if it's to dispel the notion I'm moving to CA to chill on the beach and live off people's taxes for the rest of my life then I suppose I have to do so.
No one had that notion, lest of all me. Just curious why a person with a disease such as yours would want to live in a country without national healthcare and if you were well enough to be a productive member of US society. It is basically the same question that would be asked of those who are petitioning for their parents. We advise them the same thing. Remain in the UK if you cannot work the required 10 years to qualify for medicare and if you can't afford private healthcare. The cost of healthcare is a deal breaker for the majority of people who are healthy, let along those with a disease that will cost millions of dollars over a lifetime.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Rete - I apologise for snapping at you, it's not been the best of days (my interview was only this morning) as I'm sure you can imagine.

It's simply frustrating because the disease I have is so rubbish (lol) - mainly that it doesn't affect me in the slightest and even if I'm in the 30% which do get the 'worst' of it, it's still a very slowly acting (if at all) especially when managed and caught early as it was (just by a routine check up), that I have no doubt I have at least 10 years of highly productive work and tax-paying ahead of me.

I absolutely anticipate getting health insurance through employment and soon after arriving and therefore not take advantage of any subsidised program or even individual plans at all - except I can't point to that for visa purposes so have to find an appropriately convincing alternative!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am with you.

Hopefully the mess that is US Healthcare would be sorted, by definition all of us have long term medical issues ahead of us, you just have a bit of prior knowledge.

There was a bit on CNN today about a Health Insurance Broker with a seriously ill wife who had no cover and could not get any.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:46 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

I was asked to show proof of medical insurance at my CR1 interview for myself and my Children when we came in 2008 also - they asked to see 3 months coverage and I got mine from buyamericaninsurance.com.

I don't know if it will cover pre-existing conditions but it is worth a look. They also provide a printable visa letter. Mine was accepted with no further questions.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 1:40 am
Just Joined

I got my approved visa through today

Complete with 212 (b) (2) (g) annotation and all

I basically did the following:

1. Took out 6 months short-term insurance with Atlas International which has a 'acute on-set of pre-existing condition' cover up to $15k (a pittance but hey)

2. Prepared a note to the consular officer explaining that from my discussions with insurance companies, my condition (IgA Nephropathy) was an 'automatic denial' for insurance companies.

3. Enclosed details of the CA state high-risk insurance pool, including the current waiting list and email correspondence with a representative confirming that I appeared to meet the eligibility criteria, other than being a CA resident.

4. E-mail correspondence with MRMIP that my NHS coverage appeared to qualify as 'creditable coverage' under HIPAA law (I also included the relevant regulations in this regard) so there would be no exclusion period on the coverage when it kicked in.

5. Brief explanation that if I was on a group health plan, my NHS coverage would count as 'creditable coverage'

Thankfully one, or some, or all of it, must have been convincing enough, after spending the last 3 weeks worrying an awful lot!!!

*phew*

Thanks to everyone in this thread and who PM'd me for the advice given, very very much appreciated
Old Mar 19th 2010, 1:59 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, and thanks for providing the information on how you overcame the insurance issue.

Regards, JEff

I got my approved visa through today

Complete with 212 (b) (2) (g) annotation and all

I basically did the following:

1. Took out 6 months short-term insurance with Atlas International which has a 'acute on-set of pre-existing condition' cover up to $15k (a pittance but hey)

2. Prepared a note to the consular officer explaining that from my discussions with insurance companies, my condition (IgA Nephropathy) was an 'automatic denial' for insurance companies.

3. Enclosed details of the CA state high-risk insurance pool, including the current waiting list and email correspondence with a representative confirming that I appeared to meet the eligibility criteria, other than being a CA resident.

4. E-mail correspondence with MRMIP that my NHS coverage appeared to qualify as 'creditable coverage' under HIPAA law (I also included the relevant regulations in this regard) so there would be no exclusion period on the coverage when it kicked in.

5. Brief explanation that if I was on a group health plan, my NHS coverage would count as 'creditable coverage'

Thankfully one, or some, or all of it, must have been convincing enough, after spending the last 3 weeks worrying an awful lot!!!

*phew*

Thanks to everyone in this thread and who PM'd me for the advice given, very very much appreciated
Old Mar 19th 2010, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Thats great news Rich, congratulations.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 4:03 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Very thorough, Rich.. congratulations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.