Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Confused about when to apply for Naturalization

Wikiposts

Confused about when to apply for Naturalization

Old Nov 7th 2007, 1:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused about when to apply for Naturalization

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Look at the date you were granted your CONDITIONAL card. [As a K-1, you were given conditional status no matter how long it takes to complete the adjustment]. Since you got your permanent card in April 2006, it would appear that your adjustment was completed around April 2004. It would seem that you have the three years already after admission to "permanent residence."

This is not true. Not all district offices issued conditional cards even if the marriage was over 2 years in length if you entered with a K-1.

DBark's card is unconditional and her status is LPR not CPR and she does not have to apply to remove conditions.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:12 am
Just Joined

nicolas22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You are eligible to file the N-400 beginning 90 days before the 3-year anniversary of the "resident since" date on your green card.

If your first green card was issued to you in April 2006, you'll be eligible 90 days before that date in April 2009.

Rene
Confused about when to apply for Naturalization myself. I received my first 10 year green card based on employment last month. It has been a long process. I started my application on 2001! On the card the "resident since date" is 7/2001. Does that mean I can apply for Naturaliztion now?
I talked to a USCIS representative on phone. She said yes. but I am not sure. The application fee is high now. Do they send back the check?
Old Nov 9th 2007, 7:13 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicolas22
Confused about when to apply for Naturalization myself. I received my first 10 year green card based on employment last month. It has been a long process. I started my application on 2001! On the card the "resident since date" is 7/2001. Does that mean I can apply for Naturaliztion now?
I talked to a USCIS representative on phone. She said yes. but I am not sure. The application fee is high now. Do they send back the check?
Wow. That would be worth looking into further. Without knowing the details of how you got your PR, it's impossible to say.
You could make an Infopass appointment via uscis.gov and discuss your file details with an officer there.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 7:25 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicolas22

You received your green card based on employment so you were eligible to apply for naturalization 5 years (less 90 days) from the resident since date on your green card.

BUT you say you received your FIRST green card in 2001 so when did you get your second green card and why did you lose your residency status and invalidate your first green card.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 7:38 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You received your green card based on employment so you were eligible to apply for naturalization 5 years (less 90 days) from the resident since date on your green card.

BUT you say you received your FIRST green card in 2001 so when did you get your second green card and why did you lose your residency status and invalidate your first green card.
I thought he said he got his first green card just last month. He started the process way back in 2001, but didn't get approved and get the card until Oct 2007. Looks like they made his "resident since" date, retroactive back to 2001 though, unless it's a typo....I don't know.

Rene
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

nicolas22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I thought he said he got his first green card just last month. He started the process way back in 2001, but didn't get approved and get the card until Oct 2007. Looks like they made his "resident since" date, retroactive back to 2001 though, unless it's a typo....I don't know.

Rene
Just got the first green card last month. Maybe I should talk to a lawyer. Or just file a N-400 to find out; that way it will be cheaper than the lawyer fee.:-) thanks for your response. Change the passport is not a priority so far.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:08 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

I have since looked on my card (duh!) and discovered that, although I received it in April 2006, the date on it is Feb 2006 (my interview date) so I can safely apply in 12 months! Yippee!