Wikiposts

Confused about Visas

Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

UK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enoughUK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enough
Default Confused about Visas

Im currently in the UK looking to move to Melbourne Florida, i do not mind commuting 1 hour each day in any direction.

I understand that I will have to arrange for sponsorship for my visa, which i understand people may be reluctant to do due to the fact that im currently in the UK, would it be better for me to move over on a K3 Visa then get a job??

Or should I sit and wait till the company I currently work with have any openings in the US and negotiate where I can work from, bearing in mind their offices are in:

San Francisco CA
Phoenix, AZ
Metairie, LA
Havertown, PA
Chicago, IL
Austin TX

I know that my company is happy to relocate people as one of my colleagues from here in the UK has just moved to Sweden (head office for the company)

Terri (my Fiance) is starting to get anxious that im not going to make it across so we had a sit down last night and talk about the best possible route, I said i think it would have been me waiting till a job comes up in the US for me then marrying her which she understands however that means having to wait for a job to pop up meaning we would have to let fate decide...

Also if it is recommended we go via the Fiance visa route would you mind describing the process so Terri and I can start the process we are aiming for me to be moved across for 2010 if that is possible...

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 2:27 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused about Visas

Originally Posted by UK_Tomcat_Fan
Also if it is recommended we go via the Fiance visa route would you mind describing the process so Terri and I can start the process we are aiming for me to be moved across for 2010 if that is possible...

Any thoughts?
Forget the job ..get there thru marriage to a citizen
follow the flow chart

http://www.familybasedimmigration.co...1flowchart.php
Old Aug 12th 2008, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Forget the job ..get there thru marriage to a citizen
follow the flow chart
Assuming the fiance is a US citizen.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 2:31 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Assuming the fiance is a US citizen.
Who else would live in Melbourne Florida ...
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Coming over via fiance or marriage is by far the quicker way. See here for details on the K-1 fiance visa:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1

Rene
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:40 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Is Terri a USC? If not, what?

Where does Terri live? If the UK, how long and under what status?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

UK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enoughUK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enough

Terri is a USC, living in Melbourne FL
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:51 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Terri is a USC, living in Melbourne FL
You might consider marrying during a visit, then returning to the UK to await a cr1 immigrant visa, The advantage here is that you will be work authorized the moment you return. The visa takes around 10 months, beginning to end, so it would also fit in with your timescale. The disadvantage is that you would spend some of your early married life apart.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 4:08 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Im currently in the UK looking to move to Melbourne Florida, i do not mind commuting 1 hour each day in any direction.

I understand that I will have to arrange for sponsorship for my visa, which i understand people may be reluctant to do due to the fact that im currently in the UK, would it be better for me to move over on a K3 Visa then get a job??

Or should I sit and wait till the company I currently work with have any openings in the US and negotiate where I can work from, bearing in mind their offices are in:

San Francisco CA
Phoenix, AZ
Metairie, LA
Havertown, PA
Chicago, IL
Austin TX

I know that my company is happy to relocate people as one of my colleagues from here in the UK has just moved to Sweden (head office for the company)

Terri (my Fiance) is starting to get anxious that im not going to make it across so we had a sit down last night and talk about the best possible route, I said i think it would have been me waiting till a job comes up in the US for me then marrying her which she understands however that means having to wait for a job to pop up meaning we would have to let fate decide...

Any thoughts?
Hi:

You also indicate your confusion in use of fiance and "K-3" -- the "K-ONE" is for fiance to come over to the US to get married. None of the advice you have gotten is bad. But, as often is the case, an individualized legal consultation may be in order. When it comes to immigration, normal methods of thinking often don't apply -- which leads to confusion.

Good luck.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 4:23 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
None of the advice you have gotten is bad. But, as often is the case, an individualized legal consultation may be in order. When it comes to immigration, normal methods of thinking often don't apply -- which leads to confusion.
All those fancy words when you could just have said VWP express.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 4:50 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
All those fancy words when you could just have said VWP express.
Hi:

OP has given NO indication of any intent of taking an action which is illegal. So I see no reason to have mentioned "VW express" even absent legal considerations.

I have an ethical obligation to avoid recommending the "VW express." That is why I don't touch it with a "10-foot pole."

However, given your off-stated belief that it is OK to recommend things because MOST people get away with it -- the Immigration Authorities ARE capable of turning on a dime and changing things. The excellent Fragomen firm is now a victim of this and the workers at Postville are also victims. Postville involves the imposition of CRIMINAL penalties.

Also, the criminal law on "conspiracy" is one of more frightening areas of the law IMHO. And there have been prosecutions for conspiracy for advising illegal activity -- usually in the tax arena. It is a very short analytical jump to substitute "immigration evasion" for "tax evasion" in the case law.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 5:03 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
given your off-stated belief that it is OK to recommend things because MOST people get away with it
More fancy words....and now he erroneously understands my belief system. Flabbergasted, counselor!