Reload this Page >

Confused about longevity of I-134

Wikiposts

Confused about longevity of I-134

Old Nov 14th 2002, 1:05 am
Scarlett

Default Re: Confused about longevity of I-134

go Jenney!!!

sounds like your perseverance is paying off ))

regards
-=-
scarlett

Old Nov 14th 2002, 5:43 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Scarlett
go Jenney!!!

sounds like your perseverance is paying off ))

regards
-=-
scarlett
Thanks, Scarlett.... my victory was short-lived, however...

For any of you who are wondering, Scarlett's post is in response to something I'd posted and have now deleted, as it had entirely inaccurate information in it. I didn't want to spread misinformation, so I thought it better to delete it outright.

I searched high and low for a source stating how long the I-134 was in effect -- that is, how long would my co-sponsor be on the hook? I finally found a site (a lawyer site, no less) that said it expired after a certain amount of time (which I won't mention, so as not to confuse anyone). However, this information was flat-out WRONG.

Dumb me, the only place I *didn't* look was the I-134 Affidavit itself. And guess what? It says on there, clear as day, that the I-134 is in effect for 3 YEARS.

A couple of questions:

1) Why doesn't the INS and/or State Dept have a SEPARATE FAQ PAGE solely dedicated to the I-134??

The only FAQ page is for the I-864 -- and given that the I-134 is NOT legally binding and NOT in effect for 10 years (like the I-864 is), it is VERY difficult to persuade someone to be your co-sponsor when the ONLY information provided by our government says nothing at all about the differences.

At the VERY least, there should be a section describing the vital differences between the I-134 and the I-864, so there's no confusing them.

2) How can the I-134 and the I-864 be in effect at the same time? No where on the affidavit does it say that the I-864 will supercede the I-134 at any point. So, in effect, it's saying that the I-134 co-sponsors still will be on the hook even if the I-864 is approved before the 3 years is up.

I don't really expect any answers to these questions..... this is more of a vent than anything. I'm trying my best to give my potential co-sponsor the most straight-forward information I can on the I-134.... Unfortunately, the INS/State Dept isn't making that any easier for me....

~ Jenney
Old Nov 15th 2002, 1:02 am
Scarlett

jenney i'm so sorry to hear you've hit problems again. easy to say from this
side of the fence but keep on trucking. your determination will find a way in
the end. my thoughts are with you. you must be feeling terrible.

regards
-=-
scarlett