Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Confused about the AOS process

Wikiposts

Confused about the AOS process

Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused about the AOS process

Originally Posted by Reedy189
god i explain things badly lol. Ive only been here like 62 days or something. but thanks for your help, just wanted to know if I have to stay until all the AOS is cleared up, and I thought I did so thankyou
No worries. Stick around - there's lots of useful advice on these boards

Congrats on the marriage - very brave!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:07 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Someone else will be along soon to explain things more clearly. As I read your situation - that you have remained in the USA beyond the 90 days - it is correct that you'll need to remain in the USA until your AOS has been approved.

To summerise.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...77#post6541477

Should know this but been so long.

So if you marry on the VWP within 90days you can still come and go as you please right!! Before AOS.

But if you marry on the VWP and are over the 90days time frame and adjusting status you have to wait until you have been approved your AOS before you can leave.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Reedy189 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi poppy girl. well im under the 90 days, im married and just sending the AOS form off now and i dont want to leave lol. just making sure that while the AOS form is being processed i dont have to leave? im not going to get thrown out for being over the 90days? as apparentlly it takes a long time to process the AOS form and during that time i dont want to leave my wife.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:32 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... im under the 90 days, im married and just sending the AOS form off now and i dont want to leave lol.
If you are currently in the US and you did *not* intend to stay when you entered the US, you should be okay. You and your wife will need to file form I-130, I-485, G-325, I-864, I-131, and I-765. Once you have filed all these forms *and* they are accepted (proof of which is a receipt from USICS), then you can stay in the US while your adjustment is processing. In 2 or 3 months, you'll receive permission to travel (Advance Parole) outside the US (I-131); and permission to work in the US (I-765). Once you have AP, you can travel. If you don't want to travel outside the US, you don't have to... just make sure that all those forms are filed!

Ian
Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Reedy189 is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont want to/ need to travel outside the US until all this AOS stuff is finished so i wont need the advanced parole form right? how long until i get the reciept? if my VWP goes over 90days while im waiting for the reciept, that cant be my fault?
apparentlly i can stay here until all the AOS is done? i just cant leave before its done or i wont be allowed back in right?

Last edited by Reedy189; Jul 6th 2008 at 12:12 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I dont want to/ need to travel outside the US until all this AOS stuff is finished so i wont need the advanced parole form right?
Right... but it's included in the cost! Just so you understand, it might be a year or more until you get a green card.

how long until i get the reciept?
Usually 6 or 8 weeks.

if my VWP goes over 90days while im waiting for the reciept, that cant be my fault?
Of course it's your fault. That's one of the reasons it's a bad idea to marry on the VWP and attempt to stay in the US.

apparentlly i can stay here until all the AOS is done?
Once you have the USCIS receipt for filing, yes.

i just cant leave before its done or i wont be allowed back in right?
Right.

Now, all that said, you need to fully understand that of all the family-based immigration paths that could have been chosen, you've chosen the most difficult one.

Ian
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you are currently in the US and you did *not* intend to stay when you entered the US, you should be okay . . .
How does one substantiate a claim that they actually did intend to go home when they entered on VWP, and then, as if almost magically, things changed within 90 days and they could not, in fact, leave the country?
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:52 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by californian
How does one substantiate a claim that they actually did intend to go home when they entered on VWP, and then, as if almost magically, things changed within 90 days and they could not, in fact, leave the country?
Think creatively.. what are some of the things you would leave 'open' at home?
Evidence of those items can support the change of mind.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Think creatively.. what are some of the things you would leave 'open' at home?
Evidence of those items can support the change of mind.
All easily staged . . . our maybe I am just jealous that this works for people!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 6:09 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

All easily staged . . . our maybe I am just jealous that this works for people!
Exactly.

But you wouldn't want to be the one caught out in a fabrication, would you?
If you're really thinking about the long-term, the choice is pretty simple in my mind.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Exactly.

But you wouldn't want to be the one caught out in a fabrication, would you?
If you're really thinking about the long-term, the choice is pretty simple in my mind.
Oh, I agree. I don't have the gut for the risks involved!

Note: If there is anyone who has a legitimate VWP/AOS situation, I apologize for what may seem like a blanket statement (might include OP).
Old Jul 8th 2008, 6:50 am

Oh, I agree. I don't have the gut for the risks involved!

Note: If there is anyone who has a legitimate VWP/AOS situation, I apologize for what may seem like a blanket statement (might include OP).
If you re-read her first post in this thread, I would say that "might" does not apply.
There's a world of difference between planning this move ahead of US arrival, and things changing when someone is already in the US.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

If you re-read her first post in this thread, I would say that "might" does not apply.
There's a world of difference between planning this move ahead of US arrival, and things changing when someone is already in the US.
Things changing is relative, I feel. A marriage definitely changes one's circumstances but plently of people get married in the US on VWP and the non-USC returns home for processing.

I don't know the OP's full details --- maybe there are extreme circumstance in there somewhere. In any case, I am not challenging our OP’s integrity but rather the system that allows people to use an impromptu marriage to substantiate AOS on VWP.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:31 am

Things changing is relative, I feel. A marriage definitely changes one's circumstances but plently of people get married in the US on VWP and the non-USC returns home for processing.

I don't know the OP's full details --- maybe there are extreme circumstance in there somewhere.
Like the part where she met him after arriving.

Originally Posted by petalsf
Hiya please bear with me as I'm not sure I have this right.

I'm in the US having married hubby here, we met while I was on vacation. I came in on the VWP not expecting to stay. So we're starting the AOS process and I'm form filling here.

Every decision has its consequences and different things work for different people. I don't see the benefit in removing the adjustment-from-nonimmigrant entry option.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, when your AOS is processing, regardless of how you got here in the first place, you are free to leave the country. However, your AOS and getting back in will be the problem. If you leave the country while your AOS is processing USCIS deems it an abandoned application and bins it. If you try and come back in you may have VWP overstay issues and/or a hard time because you are married to a USC and are obviously trying to live in the country as you previously had a pending AOS application. The advance parole means you will be able to re-enter the country with no ramifications to your application, nothing to do with leaving.