Wikiposts

confused....

Old Feb 8th 2004, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

London2ATL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default confused....

the copies of my husbands tax returns have FINALLY arrived from the IRS so we have most things we need to file adjustment of status. One thing is bothering us though....how are we supposed to provide evidence of a life together (apart from pics) at the interview when I don't have a SSN and therefore can't pay any bills (in my name) etc. I really don't know how I'm supposed to prove this and I'm getting worried!

Can anyone advise if they've been through something similar and how they had 'proof of a life together'??

EDITED: I forgot to mention that I came here on a B2 visa, met him after I moved here and we got married in October 2003.

Thanks

Last edited by London2ATL; Feb 8th 2004 at 7:19 am.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 8:48 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: confused....

London,

Maybe you can't pay the bills, but you have your name with his to receive them. He can add you to his credit cards without you having an SSN. You can get an ITIN by applying for it in conjunction with filing a joint income tax return for 2003 (when did you get married?) With an ITIN (and at some banks without either SSN or ITIN) you can be put on your husbands bank account.

There are a lot of things you can do.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by London2ATL
the copies of my husbands tax returns have FINALLY arrived from the IRS so we have most things we need to file adjustment of status. One thing is bothering us though....how are we supposed to provide evidence of a life together (apart from pics) at the interview when I don't have a SSN and therefore can't pay any bills (in my name) etc. I really don't know how I'm supposed to prove this and I'm getting worried!

Can anyone advise if they've been through something similar and how they had 'proof of a life together'??

EDITED: I forgot to mention that I came here on a B2 visa, met him after I moved here and we got married in October 2003.

Thanks
Old Feb 8th 2004, 10:25 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I came here on a B2 visa, met him after I moved here and we got married in October 2003.
That could be a dangerous slip of the tongue..How could you move here on a B-2 tourist visa..
Old Feb 8th 2004, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ray6
That could be a dangerous slip of the tongue..How could you move here on a B-2 tourist visa..
you're right - what I meant was that I came for 6m to do some travelling - that's what I put on my B2 visa application - that I was travelling for a year in the US. I met my husband 2 months after I came to the US so it feels like I have moved here now cos I didn't do THAT much travelling after I met him! Just to a few states.

Jeffery - what is an ITIN? We got married in Oct 2003 - can he put me on his income tax return for this tax round?
Old Feb 8th 2004, 1:39 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

you're right - what I meant was that I came for 6m to do some travelling - that's what I put on my B2 visa application - that I was travelling for a year in the US. I met my husband 2 months after I came to the US so it feels like I have moved here now cos I didn't do THAT much travelling after I met him! Just to a few states.

Jeffery - what is an ITIN? We got married in Oct 2003 - can he put me on his income tax return for this tax round?

ITIN is for people who are not eligable for a ssn they have just changed the rules on this and i think you now apply with your tax return. yes you and your husband can file a joint return this year.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 2:19 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

London,

An ITIN is an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. It's purpose is to allow people who do not qualify for a SSN to file a tax return, or to be included on a tax return. You seem to meet the qualifications.

Yes, your husband can include you on his 2003 tax return, and can probably save some money by doing so.

Visit the IRS web site and search the Forms and Publications for Form W-7.

Regards, JEff

Old Feb 8th 2004, 8:21 pm
US resident at last :)

mstracy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am UKC and my USC wife and I are UK resident at the moment. We bought a house in the US last year in preperation for our move. I opened a bank account whilst visiting in my own name and have only just put my wife on the account. I also arranged all the services for the house and as such, all the bills are currently in my name. When asked for a SSN I have always just told them I don't have one. It has never been a real problem, the only thing I can't do is pay bills online. Although this was in a different state, you should try getting your name on some of the bills and try opening a joint bank account. It will help.

Mark
Old Feb 8th 2004, 10:49 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing that you need an SSN here in GA is for a driver's license. You can change your phone listing to include both your names, in addtition to what Jeff suggested, another help for AOS.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

thanks for your help everyone. My husband is putting me on his tax return now. I had NO IDEA I could open a bank account without an SSN! If I'd have know that I could've saved myself a fortune in UK bank charges! I'll get onto that joint account thing now!

Thank you so much for your ideas!

Originally posted by mstracy
I am UKC and my USC wife and I are UK resident at the moment. We bought a house in the US last year in preperation for our move. I opened a bank account whilst visiting in my own name and have only just put my wife on the account. I also arranged all the services for the house and as such, all the bills are currently in my name. When asked for a SSN I have always just told them I don't have one. It has never been a real problem, the only thing I can't do is pay bills online. Although this was in a different state, you should try getting your name on some of the bills and try opening a joint bank account. It will help.

Mark