Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

conditional resident & divorce...help

Wikiposts

conditional resident & divorce...help

Old Jun 22nd 2002, 3:20 pm
Claus

Default conditional resident & divorce...help

I posted in another group and was told to post here instead. Below is the thread.

Thanks,

Claus

Hi,

Our divorce will be final 2 month before we had to file for removal of the
conditional status. I am worried about the postings here saying that this will mean I
need to leave. We had been together for 7 years and I have pictures, e-mails and
other stuff to prove this.My wife decided that instead of working on the marriage to
cheat was easier. We still talk and she was even willing to stop the divorce at this
stage but I believe in marriage based on love and if she doesn't love me the way I
love her, I don't want to be married. So now I feel really un-happy. My job and
friends are the things that helped me get adjusted to suddenly being alone after 7
years and if I loose all this and have to leave, I will be really ****ed I have
been in the US for 9 years now and this is my home. Any more suggestions ? What
should I do at this point ? Do I need a lawyer and where can I find one in S.F.
without spending more money than I have ? What will I need to file the papers after
the divorce ? My wife will file whatever I need because she does still care about me
but I want to be honest. I have no idea if it matter where I am from. I am German.
Our original interview in November 2000 took less than 5 minutes.

Thanks,

Claus

I have a question regarding conditional resident status and divorce. I married my
American girlfriend of 7 years in August of 1999. In November 2000 I received the
conditional permanent resident approval. Unfortunately our marriage did not work out.
The divorce will be final in August/September of this year.What will this mean for my
status since I was scheduled to file for removal of the conditional in November ?
What do I need to do ? Will this mean that I need to leave after my divorce becomes
final ? This is all hard enough. Having to deal with the INS again on top of the
divorce pain is making things so much worst

I would appreciate any feedback and help I could get, so I know what to do
and expect.

Thanks,

Claus

Old Jun 22nd 2002, 4:20 pm
Claus

Default Re: conditional resident & divorce...help

second question I forgot to ask. Will I need a lawyer and has anybody a god
suggestion for one in san francisco ? I looked on-line but those $350 for 30 minutes
things I found on-line are really expensive.

This just keeps getting worst.

Thanks again,

Claus

"Claus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:2LaR8.294187$cQ3.14726@sccrnsc01...
    > I posted in another group and was told to post here instead. Below is the thread.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Claus
    >
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Our divorce will be final 2 month before we had to file for removal of the
    > conditional status. I am worried about the postings here saying that this will mean
    > I need to leave. We had been together for 7 years and I have pictures, e-mails and
    > other stuff to prove this.My wife decided that instead of working on the
marriage
    > to cheat was easier. We still talk and she was even willing to stop the divorce at
    > this stage
but
    > I believe in marriage based on love and if she doesn't love me the way I love her,
    > I don't want to be married. So now I feel really un-happy. My job and friends are
    > the things that
helped
    > me get adjusted to suddenly being alone after 7 years and if I loose all this and
    > have to leave, I will be really ****ed I have been in the US for 9 years now and
    > this is my home. Any more suggestions ? What should I do at this point ? Do I need
    > a lawyer and
where
    > can I find one in S.F. without spending more money than I have ? What will
I
    > need to file the papers after the divorce ? My wife will file whatever I need
    > because she does still care about me but
I
    > want to be honest. I have no idea if it matter where I am from. I am German. Our
    > original interview in November 2000 took less than 5 minutes.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Claus
    >
    >
    > I have a question regarding conditional resident status and divorce. I married my
    > American girlfriend of 7 years in August of 1999. In November 2000 I received the
    > conditional permanent resident approval. Unfortunately our marriage did not work
    > out. The divorce will be final in August/September of this year.What will this mean
    > for my status since I was scheduled to file for removal of the conditional in
    > November ? What do I need to do ? Will this mean that I need to leave after my
    > divorce becomes final ? This is all hard enough. Having to deal with the INS again
    > on top of the divorce pain is making things so much worst
    >
    > I would appreciate any feedback and help I could get, so I know what to do
    > and expect.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Claus

Old Jun 23rd 2002, 3:20 am
Mrs_blackross

you can successfully remove conditions even if the marriage ends in divorce,
providing you can prove to INS it was a valid marriage that was not entered into for
the purpose of a green card. If you look at the instructions on the I-751 itself
there is a small blurb on filing if divorced.

As soon as your divorce is final, you may file the I-751 by yourself. Include with it
all the evidence you would have included if the marriage had not ended, as well as
your divorce papers. This means pictures, letters, mail addressed to both of you, car
insurance, life insurance etc...anything that proves a joint life together. There are
many people on this board who have successfully removed conditions after a divorce,
they key is proving to INS that you had married for love, not a green card. do some
searches in the google groups archive for removing conditrions after divorce and you
will find posts on the subject. good luck

"Claus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:2LaR8.294187$cQ3.14726@sccrnsc01...
    > I posted in another group and was told to post here instead. Below is the thread.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Claus
    >
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > conditional status. I am worried about the postings here saying that this will mean
    > I need to leave. We had been together for 7 years and I have pictures, e-mails and
marriage
    > to cheat was easier. We still talk and she was even willing to stop the divorce at
    > this stage
but
    > I believe in marriage based on love and if she doesn't love me the way I love her,
    > I don't want to be married. So now I feel really un-happy. My job and friends are
    > the things that
helped
    > me get adjusted to suddenly being alone after 7 years and if I loose all this and
    > have to leave, I will be really ****ed I have been in the US for 9 years now and
    > this is my home. Any more suggestions ? What should I do at this point ? Do I need
    > a lawyer and
where
I
I
    > want to be honest. I have no idea if it matter where I am from. I am German. Our
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Claus
    >
    >
    > I have a question regarding conditional resident status and divorce. I married my
    > American girlfriend of 7 years in August of 1999. In November 2000 I received the
    > conditional permanent resident approval. Unfortunately our marriage did not work
    > out. The divorce will be final in August/September of this year.What will this mean
    > November ? What do I need to do ? Will this mean that I need to leave after my
    > divorce becomes final ? This is all hard enough. Having to deal with the INS again
    >
    > and expect.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Claus

Old Jun 23rd 2002, 5:20 am
Jacky Zimmerman

Hi...I was sucessful in getting conditions removed after divorce and I was only
married for 3 years...I have to run for appt but please email me and I will let you
know how it all progressed for me... "Claus" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:2LaR8.294187$cQ3.14726@sccrnsc01...
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Claus
    >
    >
    > Hi,
    >
marriage
    > this stage
but
    > the things that
helped
    > a lawyer and
where
I
I
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Claus
    >
    >
    >
    > and expect.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Claus

Old Jun 23rd 2002, 6:20 am
Ranjini

There you go Claus, the lady herself Jacky, I had told Claus in a post on another
forum, about your successful removal of conditions after divorce. As luck would have
it, here you are in person Good luck, Claus. I know Jacky can help you Ranjini

"Jacky Zimmerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi...I was sucessful in getting conditions removed after divorce and I was only
    > married for 3 years...I have to run for appt but please email me and
I
    > will let you know how it all progressed for me... "Claus" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message news:2LaR8.294187$cQ3.14726@sccrnsc01...
    > > I posted in another group and was told to post here instead. Below is
the
    > > thread.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Claus
    > >
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Our divorce will be final 2 month before we had to file for removal of
the
    > > conditional status. I am worried about the postings here saying that
this
    > > will mean I need to leave. We had been together for 7 years and I have
    > > pictures, e-mails and other stuff to prove this.My wife decided that instead of
    > > working on the
    > marriage
    > > to cheat was easier. We still talk and she was even willing to stop the divorce
    > > at this stage
    > but
    > > I believe in marriage based on love and if she doesn't love me the way I love
    > > her, I don't want to be married. So now I feel really un-happy. My job and
    > > friends are the things that
    > helped
    > > me get adjusted to suddenly being alone after 7 years and if I loose all this and
    > > have to leave, I will be really ****ed I have been in the US for 9 years now
    > > and this is my home. Any more suggestions ? What should I do at this point ? Do I
    > > need a lawyer and
    > where
    > > can I find one in S.F. without spending more money than I have ? What
will
    > I
    > > need to file the papers after the divorce ? My wife will file whatever I need
    > > because she does still care about me
but
    > I
    > > want to be honest. I have no idea if it matter where I am from. I am German. Our
    > > original interview in November 2000 took less than 5 minutes.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Claus
    > >
    > >
    > > I have a question regarding conditional resident status and divorce. I married my
    > > American girlfriend of 7 years in August of 1999. In
November
    > > 2000 I received the conditional permanent resident approval.
Unfortunately
    > > our marriage did not work out. The divorce will be final in August/September of
    > > this year.What will this mean for my status since I was scheduled to file for
    > > removal of the conditional in November ? What do I need to do ? Will this mean
    > > that I need to leave after my divorce becomes final ? This is all hard enough.
    > > Having to deal with the INS again on top of the divorce
pain
    > > is making things so much worst
    > >
    > > I would appreciate any feedback and help I could get, so I know what to
do
    > > and expect.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Claus
    > >
    > >
    >

Old Jun 24th 2002, 1:20 am
Jacky Zimmerman

Hi Ranjini Thanks...from time to time I see references posted about my "success" in
removing conditions after divorce. I am always willing to help out . I am still a
regular reader of this NG as I have remarried and luck would have it I will have to
go thru the K3/AOS process for him once I get my US citizenship. (Hey what can I
say..I've dealt with INS paperwork since 1997..whats a few more years)...

"Ranjini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news8oR8.291213$352.27505@sccrnsc02...
    > There you go Claus, the lady herself Jacky, I had told Claus in a post on
    > another forum, about your successful removal of conditions after divorce. As luck
    > would have it, here you are
in
    > person Good luck, Claus. I know Jacky can help you Ranjini
    >
    > "Jacky Zimmerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi...I was sucessful in getting conditions removed after divorce and I
was
    > > only married for 3 years...I have to run for appt but please email me
and
    > I
    > > will let you know how it all progressed for me... "Claus"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:2LaR8.294187$cQ3.14726@sccrnsc01...
    > > > I posted in another group and was told to post here instead. Below is
    > the
    > > > thread.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Claus
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > Our divorce will be final 2 month before we had to file for removal of
    > the
    > > > conditional status. I am worried about the postings here saying that
    > this
    > > > will mean I need to leave. We had been together for 7 years and I have
    > > > pictures, e-mails and
other
    > > > stuff to prove this.My wife decided that instead of working on the
    > > marriage
    > > > to cheat was easier. We still talk and she was even willing to stop the divorce
    > > > at this
stage
    > > but
    > > > I believe in marriage based on love and if she doesn't love me the way
I
    > > > love her, I don't want to be married. So now I feel really un-happy. My job and
    > > > friends are the things that
    > > helped
    > > > me get adjusted to suddenly being alone after 7 years and if I loose
all
    > > > this and have to leave, I will be really ****ed I have been in the US for 9
    > > > years now and this is my home. Any more suggestions ? What should I do at this
    > > > point ? Do I need a lawyer and
    > > where
    > > > can I find one in S.F. without spending more money than I have ? What
    > will
    > > I
    > > > need to file the papers after the divorce ? My wife will file whatever I need
    > > > because she does still care about me
    > but
    > > I
    > > > want to be honest. I have no idea if it matter where I am from. I am German.
    > > > Our original interview in November 2000 took less than 5 minutes.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Claus
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > I have a question regarding conditional resident status and divorce. I married
    > > > my American girlfriend of 7 years in August of 1999. In
    > November
    > > > 2000 I received the conditional permanent resident approval.
    > Unfortunately
    > > > our marriage did not work out. The divorce will be final in August/September of
    > > > this year.What will this mean for my status since I was scheduled
to
    > > > file for removal of the conditional in November ? What do I need to do ?
Will
    > > > this mean that I need to leave after my divorce becomes final ? This
is
    > > > all hard enough. Having to deal with the INS again on top of the divorce
    > pain
    > > > is making things so much worst
    > > >
    > > > I would appreciate any feedback and help I could get, so I know what
to
    > do
    > > > and expect.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Claus
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    >

Old Jun 24th 2002, 4:41 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Claus

There is an issue others have not stressed very heavily and I feel you must be 150% aware of.

The removal of conditions when two people are still married can be applied for 90 days before the expiration of the two year card.

The removal of conditions when two people are NOT still married can be applied for anytime during the two years the card is valid for.

In your instance, your two year green card will expire on November, 2002. That is only 4 months and some odd weeks away. You can't file alone until your divorce is final. Will your divorce be final before that time? You cannot file AFTER its expiration. If you waited you are shit out of luck as you will have abandoned your status and must leave the US. The only way is for you two to remain married and apply as a still married couple.

Rete
Old Jun 24th 2002, 7:20 am
Ranjini

Jacky: Patience is a "virtue" we cultivate over many years of dealing with the INS. I
can't believe we have been at it since 1998 ourselves. Since you have successfully
removed conditions I am assuming you have already applied for citizenship?? Shouldn't
be that long now, so hang in there. Best wishes, Ranjini

"Jacky Zimmerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi Ranjini Thanks...from time to time I see references posted about my "success" in
    > removing conditions after divorce. I am always willing to help out . I am still a
    > regular reader of this NG as I have remarried and luck would have
it
    > I will have to go thru the K3/AOS process for him once I get my US citizenship.
    > (Hey what can I say..I've dealt with INS paperwork since 1997..whats a few more
    > years)...
    >
    > "Ranjini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news8oR8.291213$352.27505@sccrnsc02...
    > > There you go Claus, the lady herself Jacky, I had told Claus in a post on
    > > another forum, about your
successful
    > > removal of conditions after divorce. As luck would have it, here you
are
    > in
    > > person Good luck, Claus. I know Jacky can help you Ranjini
    > >
    > > "Jacky Zimmerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi...I was sucessful in getting conditions removed after divorce and I
    > was
    > > > only married for 3 years...I have to run for appt but please email me
    > and
    > > I
    > > > will let you know how it all progressed for me... "Claus"
    > > > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:2LaR8.294187$cQ3.14726@sccrnsc01...
    > > > > I posted in another group and was told to post here instead. Below
is
    > > the
    > > > > thread.
    > > > >
    > > > > Thanks,
    > > > >
    > > > > Claus
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > Hi,
    > > > >
    > > > > Our divorce will be final 2 month before we had to file for removal
of
    > > the
    > > > > conditional status. I am worried about the postings here saying that
    > > this
    > > > > will mean I need to leave. We had been together for 7 years and I have
    > > > > pictures, e-mails and
    > other
    > > > > stuff to prove this.My wife decided that instead of working on the
    > > > marriage
    > > > > to cheat was easier. We still talk and she was even willing to stop the
    > > > > divorce at this
    > stage
    > > > but
    > > > > I believe in marriage based on love and if she doesn't love me the
way
    > I
    > > > > love her, I don't want to be married. So now I feel really un-happy. My job
    > > > > and friends are the things
that
    > > > helped
    > > > > me get adjusted to suddenly being alone after 7 years and if I loose
    > all
    > > > > this and have to leave, I will be really ****ed I have been in the US for
    > > > > 9 years now and this is my home. Any more suggestions ? What should I do at
    > > > > this point ? Do I need a lawyer
and
    > > > where
    > > > > can I find one in S.F. without spending more money than I have ?
What
    > > will
    > > > I
    > > > > need to file the papers after the divorce ? My wife will file whatever I need
    > > > > because she does still care about
me
    > > but
    > > > I
    > > > > want to be honest. I have no idea if it matter where I am from. I am German.
    > > > > Our
original
    > > > > interview in November 2000 took less than 5 minutes.
    > > > >
    > > > > Thanks,
    > > > >
    > > > > Claus
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > I have a question regarding conditional resident status and divorce. I
    > > > > married my American girlfriend of 7 years in August of 1999. In
    > > November
    > > > > 2000 I received the conditional permanent resident approval.
    > > Unfortunately
    > > > > our marriage did not work out. The divorce will be final in August/September
    > > > > of this year.What will this mean for my status since I was scheduled
    > to
    > > > > file for removal of the conditional in November ? What do I need to do ?
    > Will
    > > > > this mean that I need to leave after my divorce becomes final ? This
    > is
    > > > > all hard enough. Having to deal with the INS again on top of the divorce
    > > pain
    > > > > is making things so much worst
    > > > >
    > > > > I would appreciate any feedback and help I could get, so I know what
    > to
    > > do
    > > > > and expect.
    > > > >
    > > > > Thanks,
    > > > >
    > > > > Claus
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    >

Old Jun 24th 2002, 7:37 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe she is eligible for naturalization. She is not married to the original USC that allowed her to adjust status to permanent resident. Hence, she has to wait five years to be eligible for naturalization.
Old Jun 24th 2002, 2:20 pm
Jacky Zimmerman

Rete

yes you are right and yes I am waiting..*s*

" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I don't believe she is eligible for naturalization. She is not married to the
    > original USC that allowed her to adjust status to permanent resident. Hence, she
    > has to wait five years to be eligible for naturalization.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    >
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 24th 2002, 2:20 pm
Jacky Zimmerman

HI Ranjini..... unfortunately I cant apply for my citizenship until early 2004...my 5
years will be March 2004. Since I divorced my USCit spouse I have to wait 5 years not
3 years.......wish it wasnt that way..but time has a way of flying by.... "Ranjini"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news[email protected]. net...
    > Jacky: Patience is a "virtue" we cultivate over many years of dealing
with
    > the INS. I can't believe we have been at it since 1998 ourselves. Since
you
    > have successfully removed conditions I am assuming you have already
applied
    > for citizenship?? Shouldn't be that long now, so hang in there. Best
    > wishes, Ranjini
    >
    > "Jacky Zimmerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi Ranjini Thanks...from time to time I see references posted about my "success"
    > > in removing conditions after divorce. I am always willing to help out . I
am
    > > still a regular reader of this NG as I have remarried and luck would
have
    > it
    > > I will have to go thru the K3/AOS process for him once I get my US citizenship.
    > > (Hey what can I say..I've dealt with INS paperwork since 1997..whats a few more
    > > years)...
    > >
    > > "Ranjini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news8oR8.291213$352.27505@sccrnsc02...
    > > > There you go Claus, the lady herself Jacky, I had told Claus in a post on
    > > > another forum, about your
    > successful
    > > > removal of conditions after divorce. As luck would have it, here you
    > are
    > > in
    > > > person Good luck, Claus. I know Jacky can help you Ranjini
    > > >
    > > > "Jacky Zimmerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > > Hi...I was sucessful in getting conditions removed after divorce and
I
    > > was
    > > > > only married for 3 years...I have to run for appt but please email
me
    > > and
    > > > I
    > > > > will let you know how it all progressed for me... "Claus"
    > > > > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > > news:2LaR8.294187$cQ3.14726@sccrnsc01...
    > > > > > I posted in another group and was told to post here instead. Below
    > is
    > > > the
    > > > > > thread.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Thanks,
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Claus
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Hi,
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Our divorce will be final 2 month before we had to file for
removal
    > of
    > > > the
    > > > > > conditional status. I am worried about the postings here saying
that
    > > > this
    > > > > > will mean I need to leave. We had been together for 7 years and I have
    > > > > > pictures, e-mails and
    > > other
    > > > > > stuff to prove this.My wife decided that instead of working on the
    > > > > marriage
    > > > > > to cheat was easier. We still talk and she was even willing to stop the
    > > > > > divorce at this
    > > stage
    > > > > but
    > > > > > I believe in marriage based on love and if she doesn't love me the
    > way
    > > I
    > > > > > love her, I don't want to be married. So now I feel really un-happy. My job
    > > > > > and friends are the things
    > that
    > > > > helped
    > > > > > me get adjusted to suddenly being alone after 7 years and if I
loose
    > > all
    > > > > > this and have to leave, I will be really ****ed I have been in the US
    > > > > > for 9 years now and this is my home. Any
more
    > > > > > suggestions ? What should I do at this point ? Do I need a lawyer
    > and
    > > > > where
    > > > > > can I find one in S.F. without spending more money than I have ?
    > What
    > > > will
    > > > > I
    > > > > > need to file the papers after the divorce ? My wife will file whatever I
    > > > > > need because she does still care
about
    > me
    > > > but
    > > > > I
    > > > > > want to be honest. I have no idea if it matter where I am from. I am
    > > > > > German. Our
    > original
    > > > > > interview in November 2000 took less than 5 minutes.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Thanks,
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Claus
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > I have a question regarding conditional resident status and
divorce.
    > > > > > I married my American girlfriend of 7 years in August of 1999. In
    > > > November
    > > > > > 2000 I received the conditional permanent resident approval.
    > > > Unfortunately
    > > > > > our marriage did not work out. The divorce will be final in
    > > > > > August/September of this year.What will this mean for my status since I was
scheduled
    > > to
    > > > > > file for removal of the conditional in November ? What do I need to do
?
    > > Will
    > > > > > this mean that I need to leave after my divorce becomes final ?
This
    > > is
    > > > > > all hard enough. Having to deal with the INS again on top of the
divorce
    > > > pain
    > > > > > is making things so much worst
    > > > > >
    > > > > > I would appreciate any feedback and help I could get, so I know
what
    > > to
    > > > do
    > > > > > and expect.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Thanks,
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Claus
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    >

Old Jun 25th 2002, 1:20 am
Andy Platt

Just a small correction. You don't need to be married to the same USC that sponsored
you for permanent residency - any USC that you've been married to for three years
while they've been a USC and you've been a PR is good enough. The chances of this not
being the same USC that sponsored you are slim but it is possible!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Rete"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I don't believe she is eligible for naturalization. She is not married to the
    > original USC that allowed her to adjust status to permanent resident. Hence, she
    > has to wait five years to be eligible for naturalization.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    >
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 25th 2002, 2:46 am
Concierge

She is not married to a USC but to a alien spouse I believe.
Old Jun 25th 2002, 11:20 am
Mrtravel

Since he has been living here for 9 years and has been with her for 7 years, I doubt
removing conditions will be a problem. He can do this as soon as he gets the divorce.

Since he has been a PR since November 2000, he can file for naturalization in August
2005 without being married to a USC. The only advantage to marrying a USC to get
citizenship faster would be if he did it by August 2002. I don't think he is planning
on getting married right away, he doesn't get divorce until 2 months before he has to
file for removing conditions. Since removing conditions would be in August, it would
seem that 2 months before that would be NOW.

Andy Platt wrote:
    >
    > Just a small correction. You don't need to be married to the same USC that
    > sponsored you for permanent residency - any USC that you've been married to for
    > three years while they've been a USC and you've been a PR is good enough. The
    > chances of this not being the same USC that sponsored you are slim but it is
    > possible!
    >
    > Andy.
    >
    > --
    > I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Rete"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I don't believe she is eligible for naturalization. She is not married to the
    > > original USC that allowed her to adjust status to permanent resident. Hence, she
    > > has to wait five years to be eligible for naturalization.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 25th 2002, 4:20 pm
Claus

Hi,

You are right. I have no plans to get re-married any time soon. I really loved my
wife and I will stay alone for a while. I am not sure f I understand the last
comment. I thought that I can not file before 2 years after receiving the conditional
PR, which would be November 27, 2002 (exactly 2 years after receiving the conditional
PR). My divorce should be final around September. It is not clear because my wife
filed and her legal service sent the second round by US-mail and the court claimed
that they never received them. Original final divorce date was April 17th. But we had
to re-file in April and it might take another 5 month, it might also be faster.

So what should I do now ? Do I need to get a Lawyer ? How do I find a decent one ?
Thanks so much for all the help. I really appreciate it and it helps. My frustration
level has been high.

Claus

"mrtravel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Since he has been living here for 9 years and has been with her for 7 years, I
    > doubt removing conditions will be a problem. He can do this as soon as he gets the
    > divorce.
    >
    > Since he has been a PR since November 2000, he can file for naturalization in
    > August 2005 without being married to a USC. The only advantage to marrying a USC to
    > get citizenship faster would be if he did it by August 2002. I don't think he is
    > planning on getting married right away, he doesn't get divorce until 2 months
    > before he has to file for removing conditions. Since removing conditions would be
    > in August, it would seem that 2 months before that would be NOW.
    >
    > Andy Platt wrote:
    > >
    > > Just a small correction. You don't need to be married to the same USC
that
    > > sponsored you for permanent residency - any USC that you've been married
to
    > > for three years while they've been a USC and you've been a PR is good enough. The
    > > chances of this not being the same USC that sponsored you
are
    > > slim but it is p0ossible!
    > >
    > > Andy.
    > >
    > > --
    > > I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Rete"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > I don't believe she is eligible for naturalization. She is not married to the
    > > > original USC that allowed her to adjust status to permanent resident. Hence,
    > > > she has to wait five years to be eligible for naturalization.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.