Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Conditional permanent residency after 3 1/2 years marriage?

Conditional permanent residency after 3 1/2 years marriage?

Old Sep 28th 2002, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Lyanne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Conditional permanent residency after 3 1/2 years marriage?

Just got a letter in the mail letting us know that our AOS has been approved - yay! Very quick too, as the interview was on the 16th. Unfortunately, my son and I have only been granted Conditional permanent residency. My husband and I got married in April 1999 - shouldn't we be exempt from the conditions because we've been married more than two years? Do we have any hopes of getting this fixed? We would really like to avoid giving the INS another $290 in a couple of years. And of course, our filing window to remove the conditions is right when my dh is retiring from the Navy and we'll be moving again.

Any suggestions?
Old Sep 28th 2002, 11:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Conditional permanent residency after 3 1/2 years marriage?

Originally posted by Lyanne:
Just got a letter in the mail letting us know that our AOS has been approved - yay! Very quick too, as the interview was on the 16th. Unfortunately, my son and I have only been granted Conditional permanent residency. My husband and I got married in April 1999 - shouldn't we be exempt from the conditions because we've been married more than two years? Do we have any hopes of getting this fixed? We would really like to avoid giving the INS another $290 in a couple of years. And of course, our filing window to remove the conditions is right when my dh is retiring from the Navy and we'll be moving again.

Any suggestions?
Go to the INS office and request that the status be changed based on the fact that your approval date was 3 years after your marriage. If you can't do that, contact your house of representative and ask for their immigration department and ask them for assistance in sorting this out.

Rete
Old Sep 29th 2002, 3:26 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Conditional permanent residency after 3 1/2 years marriage?

Originally posted by Lyanne:

Any suggestions?
Hi:

They made a mistake. It happens all the time. I would file an I-90 for a replacement green card under the right status.

Or when three years [minus threemonths] from now rollws around, file for naturalization.