Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Concerns regarding travel to the USA after an abandoned K1 application.

Wikiposts

Concerns regarding travel to the USA after an abandoned K1 application.

Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Goldensunshine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Concerns regarding travel to the USA after an abandoned K1 application.

Hello Guys! This is a wonderful site; I hope someone can help answer my questions.
I met my ex boyfriend in 2003, since then I’ve been making frequent visits to the states (from 14 days – 90 days each trip). March 2009 we applied for a K1 visa. 10 months later I decided that I no longer wish to marry him as he became awfully violent and abusive towards me.
Our K1 application is still processing / August he received a 2nd Notice of approval in the mail. So far we haven’t contacted the USCIS in regards to visa cancellation? Should we contact them? What should I do when I receive package 3? Or should I call the US embassy in London?
Will this ruin my future plans of travelling to the USA on the VWP? Or am I likely to face problems at the POE? I hope to take a trip sometime this Easter visiting a friend in different state, what are my chances of entry?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Concerns regarding travel to the USA after an abandoned K1 application.

Sorry to hear things didn't work out.

If you have the case number from the NOA, you can notify NVC that you no longer wish to pursue the K-1 visa. If it's already gone through NVC (sometimes it only takes a week or so), then notify the US Embassy in London (include your name and case number) that you no longer wish to pursue the K-1 visa. That way they can stop working on your case, and can open up the time for someone else.

I'd do this in writing for sure, and keep copies of everything for your own records.

It should not affect your future visits to the USA.

Rene
Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:41 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Concerns regarding travel to the USA after an abandoned K1 application.

Originally Posted by Goldensunshine
Hello Guys! This is a wonderful site; I hope someone can help answer my questions.
I met my ex boyfriend in 2003, since then I’ve been making frequent visits to the states (from 14 days – 90 days each trip). March 2009 we applied for a K1 visa. 10 months later I decided that I no longer wish to marry him as he became awfully violent and abusive towards me.
Our K1 application is still processing / August he received a 2nd Notice of approval in the mail. So far we haven’t contacted the USCIS in regards to visa cancellation? Should we contact them? What should I do when I receive package 3? Or should I call the US embassy in London?
Will this ruin my future plans of travelling to the USA on the VWP? Or am I likely to face problems at the POE? I hope to take a trip sometime this Easter visiting a friend in different state, what are my chances of entry?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.
The case likely sitting in London by this point so USCIS is no longer involved - it is in the hands of the Dept of State. Though I'm thinking if this much time has passed and you've not pursued it, it's likely to wither and die it's own death - but I'd still contact the consulate and tell them you no longer wish to pursue it. You can email them and I'd also have your ex boyfriend call the DOS stateside and inform them. Number is (202) 663-1225.

I don't forsee any issues with VWP travel from here on out, esp. once they have received notice that you are no longer pursuing the visa. That said, even folks with active petitions or pending visas are allowed to use the VWP.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:54 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Gs,

My thoughts are about the same as Rene's and Tracy's. When you receive the visa application packet from the consular section in London, respond telling them that you are no longer engaged to the petitioner, will not be applying for the visa, and want them to return the petition to CIS for revocation.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Goldensunshine
Old Jan 15th 2010, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Goldensunshine is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone. I will be contacting the US Embassy in London. Humm... I’m quite surprised that I haven’t received Package 3 considering we got our Notice of Approval 2 way back in August. Anyway, hopefully this won’t disrupt my future travel plans.

Thanks again.. Noorah101, TracyTN and jeffreyhy
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:22 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

GS

I'm going to suggest that when you write to the Consulate to tell them that you are abandoning the K-1 process, that you tell them the "why" reason. I would also copy the NVC in the US.

Perhaps sometime in the future another young lady will be conned into thoughts of marriage to your former fiancee and maybe, just maybe, this information will resurface during her process so that perhaps she can be forwarned of his emotional issues.

Just my opinion.

Rete