Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

complicated problem filed full marraige visa pckt etc all approved but..

complicated problem filed full marraige visa pckt etc all approved but..

Old May 20th 2015, 12:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: complicated problem filed full marraige visa pckt etc all approved but..

Sounds very much he has a 10 year ban.

So until be has been out of the US for 10 years, kicks in on the day he left, he has a ban which can be overcome with a waiver.

Sounds like you have two issues, meeting the financial requirement which can best be done by getting someone else to help, a co or joint sponsor, I know Ian gets upset if you use the wrong term.

What happens is that you file all the paperwork, he goes for his interview probably beginning of next year and he is found inadmissible. You then file a waiver which takes about 5 months or so. A simple overstay is no biggie but still needs to be done properly, some people can do it themselves, others use a lawyer. I can look up a list of recommended ones if it helps.

If you want to do some reading try this:

Home | Scott and Associates

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; May 20th 2015 at 12:53 am.
Old May 20th 2015, 12:51 am
Just Joined

vroni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: complicated problem filed full marraige visa pckt etc all approved but..

Originally Posted by Boiler
If you want to do some reading try this:

Home | Scott and Associates
reading through now Thank you
Old May 20th 2015, 12:54 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vroni
Also he left in 2012, we were married in feb 2009 his work visa expired in sept 2009, I was a new wife and trusted he had the paperwork under control when he clearly didn't, his work had been renewing his visa with their immigration attorney and we were not expecting them to not renew.. once we found out we did not have his employment to put down for sponsor financial criteria (as the company went under) and I did what I could to meet the criteria, this didn't work out either so we moved to the UK. I just want to make it right so that we can have a family without this thing looming as it has been for most of our married life and now moving forward.
It's becoming more clear that the overstay was VERY recent. However, a couple more questions that need exact answers:

1. Regardless of when his work visa expired (Sept 2009), when did his I-94 expire? His work visa could have expired in 2009, but if his I-94 was good until 2012 (and he was still working for the sponsoring company), then he did not overstay.

2. When exactly did he stop working for the sponsoring company? Month and year?

3. When exactly did he leave the USA? 2012, but what month?

It SOUNDS like he overstayed more than a year, just filling in the gaps in your information. If that is indeed the case, and he left in 2012, he has a 10-year ban right now which will be lifted in 2025.

You will need to consult with an immigration attorney to see if there is a waiver for this ban, and if he qualifies to get it.

Rene
Old May 20th 2015, 12:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It's becoming more clear that the overstay was VERY recent. However, a couple more questions that need exact answers:

1. Regardless of when his work visa expired (Sept 2009), when did his I-94 expire? His work visa could have expired in 2009, but if his I-94 was good until 2012 (and he was still working for the sponsoring company), then he did not overstay.

2. When exactly did he stop working for the sponsoring company? Month and year?

It SOUNDS like he overstayed more than a year, just filling in the gaps in your information. If that is indeed the case, and he left in 2012, he has a 10-year ban right now which will be lifted in 2025.

You will need to consult with an immigration attorney to see if there is a waiver for this ban, and if he qualifies to get it.

Rene

There is a waiver, see above.
Old May 20th 2015, 1:06 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I just want to make it right so that we can have a family without this thing looming as it has been for most of our married life and now moving forward.
With respect, "this thing" will loom over you for quite some time if you want to live in the US as a family. The issue pretty much goes away if you decide to move to the UK. Quite frankly, you can't have it both ways!

Ian
Old May 20th 2015, 1:22 am
Just Joined

I don't know when his I94 expired however he stopped working for the sponsoring company the same day his visa expired sept 2009, the branch in the US went under there and then, or at least that was when they made him redundant the actual day they went under I am not sure of, but they did. I suppose that answers #2 as well
August 4, 2012

If that is indeed the case, and he left in 2012, he has a 10-year ban right now which will be lifted in 2025.
wouldn't it start when he left.. so it would be lifted in 2022, right?
Old May 20th 2015, 1:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
"The three and ten year bars are not “triggered” until the person actually departs the country, so someone who entered on a valid visa, overstayed for a lengthy period of time and is eligible to adjust status through, for example, a US citizen spouse, that person will be able to avoid triggering the unlawful presence ground of inadmissibility because he/she can adjust status without departing."
does this mean he would not have been considered inadmissible if he had remained but since he did it triggered the ban? Doesn't seem right..
It seems he is qualified for the waiver however from what I read.
Old May 20th 2015, 1:36 am
Account Closed

"The three and ten year bars are not “triggered” until the person actually departs the country, so someone who entered on a valid visa, overstayed for a lengthy period of time and is eligible to adjust status through, for example, a US citizen spouse, that person will be able to avoid triggering the unlawful presence ground of inadmissibility because he/she can adjust status without departing."
does this mean he would not have been considered inadmissible if he had remained but since he did it triggered the ban? Doesn't seem right..
It seems he is qualified for the waiver however from what I read.
Overstays are forgiven when adjusting through marriage to a USC. So yes if he had not left he could have adjusted.

Water under the bridge.
Old May 20th 2015, 1:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, sorry, 2022. If he had overstayed and then did an adjustment of status while still inside the USA, that would have been approved. Now that he left the USA, he had a ban from returning, which will require going through the Immigrant visa process and then applying for a waiver. Looking at about 16 - 18 months or so, from start to finish.

Rene
Old May 20th 2015, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

You can look up I-94 info on the CBP website, here:
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html

This will tell you the actual I-94 expiry, instead of the visa expiry.
Old May 21st 2015, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Just a thought but.. maybe we are approaching this wrong. Would it be a good idea to go the work visa route instead? He is a software engineer with high demand skills, would he still be eligible for the waiver if we went that route? Just brainstorming..
Old May 21st 2015, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

Who would employ him knowing he had to go though the waiver process and would need an internal transfer.
Old May 21st 2015, 5:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... would he still be eligible for the waiver if we went that route?
He's eligible if the interviewing officer thinks a waiver is appropriate. It has almost nothing to do with the type of visa! A waiver will take the same length of time. One drawback... the risk of embarrassment - because it likely means revealing to the employer why a waiver is required and that it'll take 6 months to get an answer.

Just brainstorming...
An employment-based visa does have two advantages, though... 1) it eliminates the need for an I-864 from both of you; and 2) he will likely get some sort of health care insurance package when hired - which may be of benefit for your son.

Bottom line - there's almost nothing to lose by trying... and you are allowed to have two visa applications in process at the same time.

Ian