Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Completely OT: The Role of Biometrics

Completely OT: The Role of Biometrics

Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Role of Biometrics

Originally Posted by leopards
So what you're saying jeff is the EAD/AP are not guaranteed. But others have said as long as you have a completed 485 then it's certain.
As long as you have a correctly filed I-485 that is also in a category that can extend that benefit to you. First they determine if yours if the flavor that gets this benefit, then you're put in the pool of all the other people who have applied for that benefit and your document is produced.

We don't *know* all the things that go into approval & production of the interim documents, but processes have improved over the years.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I have "dealt" with it, and if you were paying attention to a recent thread I made you would know where I am in "dealing with it." Still the logic behind anything other than a 30 day or less EAD/AP approval seems to be inefficient.
Quit whining. It is what it is...accept it and move on.

An EAD is a federal ID document. All federal id's require biometrics (at least all the ones I've ever seen) and a photograph. A driver's license is not a federal id, it is a state id - big difference. In this day and age of security issues and criminal activities, they are not going to issue you with a federal id w/out taking your fingerprint and a photograph. Which naturally takes time. There's your explanation.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:45 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

l,

"Others" are over-simplifying and along with you overlook a certain qualification that I made. Beyond that, for an I-765 or I-131 that is based on adjustment of status note that not only the I-485 application has to be complete (not "completed", as Rete notes), but also the I-765 and I-131 applications themselves have to be complete and accurate.

More than a few I-131s submitted by adjustment applicants have been denied because the applicant appplied for AP on the wrong basis!

Regards, JEff

So what you're saying jeff is the EAD/AP are not guaranteed. But others have said as long as you have a completed 485 then it's certain.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Oct 23rd 2009 at 4:50 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Completely OT: The Role of Biometrics

Not completely true. For marriage-based visas (a good portion of the I-485 are for marriage to a USC) the USC does vote. Plus political reps do listen to immigrants because they know one day they will be qualified voters. Why do you think today's politicans court the Hispanic immigrant when they are campaigning. It is because one day they will be voting.

People do not realize the number of applications received on a yearly basis by USCIS. EAD's are not just issued to marriage-based petitions and one cannot compare the USCIS to a state run agency that deals with a far smaller number of people and whose serve does not affect the security of the country or one's life, i.e. DMV and one cannot equate it with a country such as the UK which in comparison to the US is the size of Rhode Island <wink, wink>.

Originally Posted by kthx
My opinion on this is: they are inefficient for 2 reasons: first is obvious, they are government organization (no competition or incentive to be faster (for the employees)), but second is more important: their clients do not vote. If you could vote and your senator said "Oh and by the way I am going to lobby congress to reduce the time of processing any immigration application by 50%, would be a strong incentive for you to vote for him, right?" But there is no big incentive for that in the government: most Americans could care less.

Since, no one "hears" you technically, it is just not a priority.

I feel when you pay that much money for your application they should be faster, but they seem to be improving...

Last edited by Rete; Oct 23rd 2009 at 4:49 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Please use correct terminology when discussing this. Completed means it has been adjudicated. You are using the term completed to mean an accepted for processing petition. Two very different things.

And I agree with JEff, neither application is guaranteed.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

kthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rete
Not completely true. For marriage-based visas (a good portion of the I-485 are for marriage to a USC) the USC does vote. Plus political reps do listen to immigrants because they know one day they will be qualified voters. Why do you think today's politicans court the Hispanic immigrant when they are campaigning. It is because one day they will be voting.

People do not realize the number of applications received on a yearly basis by USCIS. EAD's are not just issued to marriage-based petitions and one cannot compare the USCIS to a state run agency that deals with a far smaller number of people and whose serve does not affect the security of the country or one's life, i.e. DMV and one cannot equate it with a country such as the UK which in comparison to the US is the size of Rhode Island <wink, wink>.
Well, still... There are plenty of H1B employees, refugees, etc. Just saying, if an American had to wait 6 to 24 months for some federal document, and yes, I know they don't have to go through background checks or whatever but still. Lol, that government agency would get so much media wrath and angry people, that they would quickly get more funds to accelerate it.

Americans are much more used to receiving and expecting better service: it is immigrations who get jerked around for years. (I personally had good experience with USCIS, I think they are just slower than they should considering the amount of money we are paying them)
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

leopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really nice

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Quit whining. It is what it is...accept it and move on.

An EAD is a federal ID document. All federal id's require biometrics (at least all the ones I've ever seen) and a photograph. A driver's license is not a federal id, it is a state id - big difference. In this day and age of security issues and criminal activities, they are not going to issue you with a federal id w/out taking your fingerprint and a photograph. Which naturally takes time. There's your explanation.
I think you and a few others have missed the boat on this one. You say I'm whining like I'm still waiting for the EAD/AP. I, rather, am failing to understand the logic that if those documents are a mere formality and certain as other have stated then why couldn't immi forgo the process of biometrics for the EAD to make things move faster. With regards to your statement about criminal activities more than one poster has said they issue the EAD/AP regardless of past history so again I pose the question where's the logic in that? Even if the AOS is denied the process of denial could take over a year. So a criminal could work here, theoretically, for a while before anything is done. Even in this day and age of security issues, correct?
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kthx
Well, still... There are plenty of H1B employees, refugees, etc. Just saying, if an American had to wait 6 to 24 months for some federal document, and yes, I know they don't have to go through background checks or whatever but still. Lol, that government agency would get so much media wrath and angry people, that they would quickly get more funds to accelerate it.
The one example that comes to my mind is getting security clearance. It can take many months for that to come through, even for native USC's. I've read of some folks that it did take as long as a year or more. Again, it comes down to a tiny portion of the population that would need to come into contact with that particular gov't agency.

Until larger percentages of USCs actually need to use the services of USCIS, then there won't be enough of an outcry to get them to change.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:13 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

l,

Again, these permissions are not "a mere formality", although it may appear that way to some who have only a limited perspective and do not see the forest for their own tree.

Regards, JEff

... if those documents are a mere formality and certain as other have stated ......
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think you and a few others have missed the boat on this one. You say I'm whining like I'm still waiting for the EAD/AP. I, rather, am failing to understand the logic that if those documents are a mere formality and certain as other have stated then why couldn't immi forgo the process of biometrics for the EAD to make things move faster. With regards to your statement about criminal activities more than one poster has said they issue the EAD/AP regardless of past history so again I pose the question where's the logic in that? Even if the AOS is denied the process of denial could take over a year. So a criminal could work here, theoretically, for a while before anything is done. Even in this day and age of security issues, correct?
It's the government, you, as a mere commoner, do not have to understand the logic. They are simply not going to issue you with a federal id document w/out having you come in, in person, to show your other identification (i.e. passport) to prove you are who you say you are, give a fingerprint, and get a pic taken.

You're beating your head against a brick wall with this conversation. You don't have to understand why a government agency does what it does.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:15 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

US immigration procedures are designed to build bureaucratic empires and generate the cash for sustaining them. If you're looking for logic and reason, you've come to the wrong place.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Things ARE speeding up. Lately, it's only taken 30 days for AP and a bit more for EAD. Sometimes the process speeds up, sometimes it slows down.

Sometimes, recently, the green card is even issued before EAD and AP are!

Are you saying 30 days is still too slow? I get the feeling you want same-day service.

Personally, I think 30 or even 60 days turnaround is pretty good, considering all the factors that go into verification and production of the EAD and AP.

Rene
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I think you and a few others have missed the boat on this one. You say I'm whining like I'm still waiting for the EAD/AP.
What I don't understand is the hostile tone and augmentative nature of the posts. Am I misreading you?
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

leopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
What I don't understand is the hostile tone and augmentative nature of the posts. Am I misreading you?
Nope that specific post was hostile but then again I never was one to allow myself to be insulted without giving a retort. As a much smarter man than I once wrote "Actioni contrariam semper et æqualem esse reactionem: sive corporum duorum actiones in se mutuo semper esse æquales et in partes contrarias dirigi."
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

I think you and a few others have missed the boat on this one. You say I'm whining like I'm still waiting for the EAD/AP. I, rather, am failing to understand the logic that if those documents are a mere formality and certain as other have stated then why couldn't immi forgo the process of biometrics for the EAD to make things move faster.
That's where you're having the problem with your reasoning - it's not 'a mere formality'.

Nothing post 9/11 is a mere formality anymore. It was always a game and now the rules to that game have got tougher - and Uncle Sam get's to make the rules wether you, me or anyone else likes them.

You have to understand that the feds need to make sure that the person who applied for a visa, was issued a visa and who now wants the EAD /AP is the same person. Why do you think so many photos are needed during all stages of the immigration process?

Your views and thoughts are just as valid as anyone else's on here but if that's your main bug bear then you aint doin bad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.