Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Completely OT: Hubby's Experiences At Can/Am Crossings

Wikiposts

Completely OT: Hubby's Experiences At Can/Am Crossings

Old Jul 22nd 2006, 4:11 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Completely OT: Hubby's Experiences At Can/Am Crossings

Jim returned yesterday from his two week holiday to Nova Scotia, Ottawa and Montreal. He had many stories to tell me and two in particular about his crossing into Canada and back to the US at the Lake Champlain <sp?> crossing in New York.

At the checkpoint entering Canada, the female agent was handed his Canadian passport. She then started to grill him by asking his status in the US. Jim told her that she had no right to ask him that question as he was entering his country with a Canadian passport. She then asked if he had other passports. He again told her she had no legal right to ask that question. When she insisted that he answer, he again said he would not as under Canadian law if entering Canada under a valid Canadian passport Canadian agents do not have the right to demand to see other passports. She asked him if he was an attorney, he said no but that he knows the law regarding this as a member of the forces for 36 years, blah, blah, blah. She then asked for proof of this and he showed her his I card. She deferred and said have a nice day.

When he was leaving Canada at the same crossing he stopped in Duty Free. While standing on line to pay for his purchases he heard, in French, one man tell someone watch this, these damn Americans are so stupid he will never say anything to me. That's the only thing I like about Americans are their stupidity. He then shouldered Jim hard in the back knocking him into the person in front of him. Jim turned around and in French told them they were the stupid ones and acting like children and if they were going to speak French to speak it properly and not use the distorted North Viet Namese version they were using. He then spoke to them in German telling them they were punks. He said the two young men turned white and then red.

Jim paid for his purchases and drove towards the lines. He said he forgot that on Friday the Quebecoise all leave Canada for the States and the lines were long. As he was approaching a line, these same two young men tried to cut him off with their car. Since his is beat up anyway, he held his ground and they got in behind him.

When it was his turn with the agent, he handed her his US Passport, answered the questions as to purchases, etc. Then told the young lady that he had a problem at duty free with the two young men in the car behind him. She asked what transpired and he told her. She called for security and the guard talked to Jim. He asked Jim how he knew they were from North Viet Nam. Had Jim ever been there? Jim said no but that he recognized the dialect from his military service. One thing lead to another and Jim showed him his US military identification as well as his Canadian military identification. The guard said fine Captain, I was in Viet Nam, we'll take care of this. Thanks and have a great day.

Jim said that he stopped for gas across the border and looked for their car to come through. After 1/2 hour it still had not come by. He kept a look out for it on the Northway but nothing. He stopped at the rest area down the line and still no car. So guess they might not have been allowed into the US.