Reload this Page >

Complacency set in, 1st anniversary and we feel lost

Wikiposts

Complacency set in, 1st anniversary and we feel lost

Old Sep 20th 2005, 5:34 am
Dazed and Confused

KatherineH is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Complacency set in, 1st anniversary and we feel lost

I used to read this forum regularly and post occasionally but after the excitement of our wedding a year ago and then a new house, new puppy, and new jobs...I've kind of lost track of our immigration schedule. I never forget it's there, I just didn't think to stay on top of things for my husband.

Anywho, we just celebrated our first anniversary and I need to get back on track. We already know we should have filed his EAD renewal by now, so that's a bit of a panic. Plus, Minnsota requires occasional status checks for him to keep his driver's license active and it expires the same day his EAD does, and they are crazy picky about what they require as proof that he's still legal. Only a current EAD or "receipt from the INS" will work.

When we first filed our I-485, I-765, and I-131 a year ago, we mailed them to the local office in St. Paul. They now all have case numbers starting with MSC. When we check processing dates should we be looking at where the St. Paul office is or where the National Benefits Center is? It seems that the NBC doesn't even process our type of I-485 (he entered on a K-1).

Also under the "where are our cases" heading, can we apply for he EAD renewal in person at the St. Paul office because that's where we sent it originally or do we have to mail it elsewhere? It looks like K-1's can do e-filing but I'm not sure that's any faster. St. Paul seems to be processing EADs in about a month which would be perfect.

St. Paul also says they are processing I-485s received on September 30, 2004, ours was received on September 15th or so, but then had an RFE that was completed and received by them on October 19th. Is our receipt date based on the first receipt or the RFE?

I am trying to search for these answers as well but right now I feel really swamped and angry at myself for letting things slip that I figured I"d post it all as well.

Thank you for ANY help you can offer!!!

-Katherine (and Rich)
Old Sep 20th 2005, 5:40 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Complacency set in, 1st anniversary and we feel lost

Hi Katherine & Rich,

Things have changed recently. All EAD applications (including renewals) get sent to the Chicago lockbox address which you can find on www.uscis.gov. You can also e-file for the EAD renewal, either way...but I believe the processing time is about the same. For processing, you can check the USCIS website, and look under "NBC" for the processing of EAD and AP. In reality, it seems that EADs are taking about 3 months to process right now.

As for your I-485, you can check the process on the USCIS website under "St. Paul" local office. Lately it seems people (from all over, not just there) have been getting their interview notice about 2 months in advance of the interview date. Having an RFE might have slowed yours down some.

Have you also moved during that time? Hopefully not, as that might also cause some delays. If you did, hopefully you did all the change of addresses involved.

And yes, usually DMV needs a vaild EAD to issue another drivers license/ID. You might have to wait for his next EAD in order to renew his license.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 20th 2005, 5:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to add, that local offices don't do walk-in EADs or APs anymore.

Rene
Old Sep 20th 2005, 5:54 am
Dazed and Confused

Ugh, all bad news. But we only have ourselves to blame.

When you're busy being newlyweds and new homeowners, it's easy to forget that you're not a "normal" couple without all the paperwork.

We'll e-file for the EAD renewal today and keep our fingers crossed.

Yes, we have moved, but I sent in a change of address right away. We'll double check that it went through.

Argh! Maybe all our friends who were convinced there was no more paperwork once we were married rubbed off on me. It all just slipped my mind, I was too busy being happily married!
Old Sep 20th 2005, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by KatherineH
Yes, we have moved, but I sent in a change of address right away. We'll double check that it went through.
Just curious how long ago you moved and what you sent in as notification. Rich should have filed an AR-11 (alien change of address), you should have filed an I-865 (sponsor's change of address), and you should have sent written notification to your local office (St. Paul) so that they would know where to send the Interview Notice. Also calling the 800 number once a month to make sure your new address is in the system is a good idea.

Good luck,
Rene
Old Sep 20th 2005, 6:19 am
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just curious how long ago you moved and what you sent in as notification. Rich should have filed an AR-11 (alien change of address), you should have filed an I-865 (sponsor's change of address), and you should have sent written notification to your local office (St. Paul) so that they would know where to send the Interview Notice. Also calling the 800 number once a month to make sure your new address is in the system is a good idea.

Good luck,
Rene
We did the AR-11 in March, I didn't do an I-865 or notify St. Paul. I knew I shouldn't have stopped checking this site!!

I'm doing the online 765 right now, he entered as a K1, is he still that or a K3 spouse now?

I felt so confident about all this a year ago, now I'm just panicking.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 6:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was too busy being happily married!
Congratulations on the wedding. I don't have anything to add... but I do like the picture of the Mini (something my wife wants)... and our daughter lives in Maplewood!

Ian
Old Sep 20th 2005, 6:26 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Congratulations on the wedding. I don't have anything to add... but I do like the picture of the Mini
What other sort of car would they drive (living in Mini-apolis )?
Old Sep 20th 2005, 6:27 am

We did the AR-11 in March, I didn't do an I-865 or notify St. Paul. I knew I shouldn't have stopped checking this site!!

I'm doing the online 765 right now, he entered as a K1, is he still that or a K3 spouse now?

He's defintely NOT a K-3. That's a totally diff. visa. K-1 is fine, or if there is a choice for Pending Adjustment of Status, that's better.

I'd send written notice NOW, ASAP to St. Paul to let them know you have a new address. You don't want them mailing out your Interview Letter and then you not receiving it and having your AOS denied due to a No-Show. That has happened to folks on here, and it's not a pretty sight to try and fix (you'd have to submit a petition to re-open...ugh!)

Rene
Old Sep 20th 2005, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

AlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to all

Once AOS has been filed the K-1 Status AFAIK ceases(The visa itself has expired -- it is valid for only one use). For the EAD the status you would use as per the documentation is:

Adjustment Applicant--(c)(9). File your EAD application with a copy of the receipt notice or other evidence that your Form I-485, Application for Permanent Residence, is pending. You may file Form I-765 together with your Form I-485. EAD Applicants Who Have Filed or Adjustment of Status

Follow the instruction for this category.

cf. http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-765.htm for more information

I hope is useful, don't the panic will subside shortly. Though we have to get our act together to file the I-751.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 1:19 am
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough

Is our receipt date based on the first receipt or the RFE?
I would assume it goes by the RFE date, cuz that's when they feel they had all your information to process. But I could easily be wrong.

Don't beat yourselves up. My hubby & I found ourselves waiting till the last minute for these kinda things too. You're right. When you're a happily married couple, it's too easy to forget or put-off the paperwork, cuz really, what legitimate married couple *should* have to do all this...

Anyway, hope things progress quickly for you both.