Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Common language??????????

Wikiposts

Common language??????????

Old Apr 30th 2002, 6:10 am
Brian Root

Default Common language??????????

Maybe I am just getting a case of bad nerves. But someone reported a K-1 Visa can be
denied because the couple does not share a common language. It does not seem to me in
this day and age of computers and translation systems that such a thing is possible.
My fiancee is going for her interview in a couple of weeks in Moscow. And we
certainly do not share a common language yet.....though we are both working hard at
learning the others language. Has anyone ever heard of a Visa denied because of
this??? Thanks for your time.

Old Apr 30th 2002, 6:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common language??????????

I've heard it talked about in the China/American relationships.

On a personal note, how do you communicate? By written word only? You send an e-mail in English and her in Russian and on either side of the world you allow a translation program to interprete your responses? I did that once with English to German and my aunt laughed until she wet herself because was nothing like I original wrote.

Just curious.
Old Apr 30th 2002, 11:40 am
Mrtravel;

Rete,

I had responded to him in an email. He is doing this in Moscow. I have heard this
happening before in Russia.

Of course, that probably blows my Mr. Travel alias.

Rete wrote:
    >
    > I've heard it talked about in the China/American relationships.
    >
    > On a personal note, how do you communicate? By written word only? You send an
    > e-mail in English and her in Russian and on either side of the world you allow a
    > translation program to interprete your responses? I did that once with English to
    > German and my aunt laughed until she wet herself because was nothing like I
    > original wrote.
    >
    > Just curious.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 30th 2002, 12:10 pm
Brian Root

Thanks for your input guys. And MrTravel thank you very much for your email. But, we
do use a translation program......it is by PROMT and really it is a great translation
system. Others such as PARS and LOGOMEDIA are not nearly as good as PARS. Actually I
have worried over many scenarios for a Visa denial....but not in my wildest dreams
did I consider the language thing. We do talk on the phone a couple times of
week....and we are able to get the basic communication things through to each
other.....and during my visit we spent hours in the phrasebooks and dictionaries. It
is just weird to me....nowhere on any websites......or any newsgroups has anyone
mentioned a common language requirement. You guys really have me worried now. I guess
we shall find out soon enough. Thanks.

Old Apr 30th 2002, 12:10 pm
Mrtravel

I am still trying to figure out why the agency says you don't have enough documents
and won't give you any advice.

Brian Root wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for your input guys. And MrTravel thank you very much for your email. But,
    > we do use a translation program......it is by PROMT and really it is a great
    > translation system. Others such as PARS and LOGOMEDIA are not nearly as good as
    > PARS. Actually I have worried over many scenarios for a Visa denial....but not in
    > my wildest dreams did I consider the language thing. We do talk on the phone a
    > couple times of week....and we are able to get the basic communication things
    > through to each other.....and during my visit we spent hours in the phrasebooks and
    > dictionaries. It is just weird to me....nowhere on any websites......or any
    > newsgroups has anyone mentioned a common language requirement. You guys really have
    > me worried now. I guess we shall find out soon enough. Thanks.

Old Apr 30th 2002, 11:40 pm
Andy Platt

"mrtravel;" <",rtravel"@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Rete,
    >
    > I had responded to him in an email. He is doing this in Moscow. I have heard this
    > happening before in Russia.
    >
    > Of course, that probably blows my Mr. Travel alias.

I already had my suspicions, Mr Voight?

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old May 1st 2002, 1:39 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Figured that one out way back when he first started using the nick. He forgot to change his response email addy in the beginning. A dead give away.
Old May 1st 2002, 10:10 am
Jeffrey Scharpf

this made me think of something My fiance (who is fluent in English), when I was
in Romania, taught me a Romania phrase, and I had no idea what it meant but she told
me to say it sometimes.. and each time I said it, everyone would laugh at me...
finally she told me what it meant.. and she said she would do this to me many times
until I learn the language LOL.. I can't tell you what the phrase meant because this
list is G rated

She's so mean to me