Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Co_sponsor Birth Certificate?

Wikiposts

Co_sponsor Birth Certificate?

Old Mar 18th 2009, 1:57 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Co_sponsor Birth Certificate?

My mother is co-sponsoring the K-1 for my fiance, but I have a few questions regarding her proof of citizenship through her birth cert.

My mother was adopted in 1952, but was born in 1950, any trace of her life prior to 1952 is non-existant. The ONLY birth cert she has, has the county seal on it and simply says, this is to certify such and such was born on this date in the county of blah in New York State. It has no other information. No weight, time, or parents names.

There is no "long form" birth cert for her, will the one she have, suffice as proof of US citizenship? She has no passport.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 3:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Co_sponsor Birth Certificate?

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
My mother is co-sponsoring the K-1 for my fiance, but I have a few questions regarding her proof of citizenship through her birth cert.

My mother was adopted in 1952, but was born in 1950, any trace of her life prior to 1952 is non-existant. The ONLY birth cert she has, has the county seal on it and simply says, this is to certify such and such was born on this date in the county of blah in New York State. It has no other information. No weight, time, or parents names.

There is no "long form" birth cert for her, will the one she have, suffice as proof of US citizenship? She has no passport.
My US Birth Certificate has my name, city and state, birth date, both parents' names, my father's birthplace, my mother's birthplace, when the record was filed, and a certificate number.

I guess all you can do is use what you have, and hope it's acceptable. If what she has is not acceptable, you might want to have a copy of the adoption certificate ready to show, to help explain why the birth certificate is lacking.

Rene
Old Mar 18th 2009, 4:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Does she not have a US Passport?
Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:04 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

R,

You don't say, but are you adopted?

My adopted son's birth certificate is like ap's - it does not identify his parents.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My US Birth Certificate has my name, city and state, birth date, both parents' names, my father's birthplace, my mother's birthplace, when the record was filed, and a certificate number.

Rene
Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:07 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

ap,

Maybe she ought to get one if the 'abbreviated' birth certificate turns out to be a problem.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint

.... She has no passport.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
R,

You don't say, but are you adopted?

My adopted son's birth certificate is like ap's - it does not identify his parents.

Regards, JEff
No, I was just letting her know what a non-adopted USC's birth certificate info has on it. Sorry for the confusion.

Rene
Old Mar 18th 2009, 1:10 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

There is no other birth certificate, this is the only one issued in the 50's in New York to closed adoptioned children. My grandmother is 88 yrs old, blind, nearly deaf and she can not recall if the adoption papers even survived the last 58 yrs.

No my mother does not have a passport, shes never needed one.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 1:12 pm
Questy Questionson

Ah mine has my date of birth weight my parents name etc etc so when I saw my mothers I thought it was weird...but I also have a brother who was put UP for adoption in 72 and his ORIGINAL B/C is just like my mothers adopted revised b/c because when his cert was filed they included the papers for his closed adoption, he has no birth certificate with his bio parents name or his adopted parents names on it.