Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Clinic vs HMO for Vaccinations?

Wikiposts

Clinic vs HMO for Vaccinations?

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

gardener is just really nicegardener is just really nicegardener is just really nicegardener is just really nicegardener is just really nicegardener is just really nicegardener is just really nicegardener is just really nice
Question Clinic vs HMO for Vaccinations?

My wife is at the HMO for a physical, and was told that most of the shots for the AOS must be done "out of pocket", and isn't covered by my Health Plan. She didn't know the exact cost, but she did say it could be expensive.

Does anyone know if Kaiser truly does not cover the costs of such vaccinations? If so, what are recommendations for getting it done at less cost? Should I go to a USCIS Civil Surgeon, or look around for a clinic?

thanks,
Gardener
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:54 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clinic vs HMO for Vaccinations?

Originally Posted by gardener
My wife is at the HMO for a physical, and was told that most of the shots for the AOS must be done "out of pocket", and isn't covered by my Health Plan. She didn't know the exact cost, but she did say it could be expensive.

Does anyone know if Kaiser truly does not cover the costs of such vaccinations? If so, what are recommendations for getting it done at less cost? Should I go to a USCIS Civil Surgeon, or look around for a clinic?

thanks,
Gardener
The vaccinations don't have to be done by the USCIS civil surgeon. If your insurance won't cover something like that, shop around for a free clinic or low cost clinic. As long as she gets a record of them, it doesn't matter where she gets them done.

Rene
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

if you know you've had the jabs before, get a titre test, even a shit HMO should stump for that...

but if you need jabs, call around all the local clinics
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 4:10 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

your local public health dept clinic should take care of of most of the shots, and the TB, HIV, Syphilis screening either free or at a nominal cost - mine did. Give them a call
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

gardener is just really nicegardener is just really nicegardener is just really nicegardener is just really nicegardener is just really nicegardener is just really nicegardener is just really nicegardener is just really nice
Smile Re: Clinic vs HMO for Vaccinations?

Originally Posted by Songbird
your local public health dept clinic should take care of of most of the shots, and the TB, HIV, Syphilis screening either free or at a nominal cost - mine did. Give them a call
Rene, Bob and Songbird,

Thanks for the tips. I'll check with my local health clinics.

Does anyone has a complete list of the shots required? I want to be absolutely certain of what my wife needs, since her DS3025 states that her vaccinations are incomplete, and there are a lot of shots annotated by the doctor in England as not age appropriate, and only a few marked as "K1". I just want to make sure he annotated each block correctly.

thanks,
Gardener
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:40 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Rene, Bob and Songbird,

Thanks for the tips. I'll check with my local health clinics.

Does anyone has a complete list of the shots required? I want to be absolutely certain of what my wife needs, since her DS3025 states that her vaccinations are incomplete, and there are a lot of shots annotated by the doctor in England as not age appropriate, and only a few marked as "K1". I just want to make sure he annotated each block correctly.

thanks,
Gardener
Gardner, the doctor decides which vax she needs. The ones marked 'K-1' may be important.

You can find the list on the US Embassy/London site.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Gardner, the doctor decides which vax she needs. The ones marked 'K-1' may be important.

You can find the list on the US Embassy/London site.
Meauxna,

My wife is in the States. She will visit a local health clinic. I wouldn't think they'd be knowledgeable about what shots are required, since they do not deal with non-immigrant visas on a daily basis. That's why I'm asking for the vaccination list.

thanks,
Gardener
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Meauxna,

My wife is in the States. She will visit a local health clinic. I wouldn't think they'd be knowledgeable about what shots are required, since they do not deal with non-immigrant visas on a daily basis. That's why I'm asking for the vaccination list.

thanks,
Gardener
The list is on the US Embassy in London's website. You can print the list and bring it to the vaccination appointment to show the doctor what's required.

Rene
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:36 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Meauxna,

thanks,
Gardener
I'm referring to the doctor at her medical overseas. She should have made the recommendation of which vaccines your wife requries.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Clinic vs HMO for Vaccinations?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The list is on the US Embassy in London's website. You can print the list and bring it to the vaccination appointment to show the doctor what's required.

Rene
Rene,

I found the vaccination chart at: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...cinechart.html

With this list and what is shown required on her DS 3025, we'll know what additional shots she needs.

thanks,
Gardener
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:53 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

I found the vaccination chart at: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...cinechart.html

With this list and what is shown required on her DS 3025, we'll know what additional shots she needs.

thanks,
Gardener

Or not. Not every jab is required. Some are waived due to age, area of the world born and raised, etc.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Meauxna,

thanks,
Gardener
The civil surgeon who does the medical exam is supposed to be knowledgeable on what shots need to be done based on age etc. Even if the civil surgeon is based at your local practice, he/she should be up-to-date on what is needed.