Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Clarification on AOS following K1 marriage

Wikiposts

Clarification on AOS following K1 marriage

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:08 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute
Default Clarification on AOS following K1 marriage

Heya,

Got married last week on my K-1 visa, so now it's time to file for AOS.

I've got my packet of documents ready to send (just waiting for my I-639A coming in the mail from a civil surgeon).

I just want to get an idea of what to expect in terms of USCIS action once the paper work is sent off. I've read posts about cases being transfered to CSC, and some with interviews and some without.

Am I right in thinking that from the Chicago Lockbox, the application will then be sent to my local office (in my case New Orleans)?

The transfer to CSC does not always happen from what I've read. If it doesn't happen, I assume that New Orleans will look over my case, and then call me for an interview? Is there always an interview for the filing of I-485? What if the case goes to CSC due to backlogs, would there be an interview then? If so the interview would be in New Orleans, right? They wouldn't hold an interview in California I presume.

For my biometrics, am I called to my local office regardless of where the actual case has been sent to?

Any help in getting my head around what to expect when I mail the package off will be great, thanks.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clarification on AOS following K1 marriage

Originally Posted by Knight
I've got my packet of documents ready to send (just waiting for my I-639A coming in the mail from a civil surgeon).
This is just the vaccination supplement, right? I'm surprised they didn't just hand you the sealed envelope at their office. Hopefully it's not a whole new medical, as you didn't really need one...

Am I right in thinking that from the Chicago Lockbox, the application will then be sent to my local office (in my case New Orleans)?
Your AP and EAD applications will go to NBC (National Benefits Center), where they will be processed and issued. Your I-485 sits somewhere until it's coming up for your turn at your local office, then it's forwarded there.

The transfer to CSC does not always happen from what I've read. If it doesn't happen, I assume that New Orleans will look over my case, and then call me for an interview?
Correct.

Is there always an interview for the filing of I-485?
No, not always, especially when the case is transferred to CSC.

What if the case goes to CSC due to backlogs, would there be an interview then?
Maybe, maybe not. No way to tell.

If so the interview would be in New Orleans, right? They wouldn't hold an interview in California I presume.
Correct.

For my biometrics, am I called to my local office regardless of where the actual case has been sent to?
Yes, you will probably go to an ASC location, which only does the biometrics. If you don't go to an ASC location, it will be at your local office. Regardless, it will be in your local area.

Any help in getting my head around what to expect when I mail the package off will be great, thanks.
You will receive a notice that USCIS received your applications. You'll receive 2 notices for biometrics - one for the I-765, and one for the I-485. Eventually you'll receive a notice of interview appointment at your local office, UNLESS you get lucky and suddenly receive an approval notice w/o an interview. This just happened to a friend of mine in New Jersey. She arrived on a K-1, filed AOS, her case got transferred to CSC, and then she got an approval notice in the mail, and her green card a few days later. No interview. But I don't see that happening to the majority of people...most seem to have an interview at the local office.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:29 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
This is just the vaccination supplement, right? I'm surprised they didn't just hand you the sealed envelope at their office. Hopefully it's not a whole new medical, as you didn't really need one...
Yes, just the vaccination supplement. I called all the local USCIS approved civil surgeons and all of them wanted me to undergo a full medical to obtain the I-693A. I found out about an approved civil surgeon in texas who will transcribe an I-693A based on the DS-3025 I got from my K-1 medical in London. They are going to sent me a sealed I-693A to send off with the AOS package, and an unsealed one for my records.

Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, just the vaccination supplement. I called all the local USCIS approved civil surgeons and all of them wanted me to undergo a full medical to obtain the I-693A. I found out about an approved civil surgeon in texas who will transcribe an I-693A based on the DS-3025 I got from my K-1 medical in London. They are going to sent me a sealed I-693A to send off with the AOS package, and an unsealed one for my records.

Thanks for the info.
I keep hearing about this - civil surgeons saying folks have to have a complete physical when it's not required.

Surely this is unethical? I wonder if they can be reported somewhere...

I had also heard of this Texas doctor before - is anyone sure he/she is complete legitamate, and a good idea?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:16 am
Twice half his height

Originally Posted by Tracym
I had also heard of this Texas doctor before - is anyone sure he/she is complete legitamate, and a good idea?
She's listed on the USCIS site as an approved civil surgeon. I mailed in my DS-3025 and $10, and a page with information about myself on (name, country of origin, dob etc) and she mailed me back an I-693A filled in for my records, and a sealed envelope containing the same thing to send to USCIS. I've read other forums where this doctor is recommended due to the cheap fee and ease of use, and never heard of anyone having a problem with her.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

She's listed on the USCIS site as an approved civil surgeon. I mailed in my DS-3025 and $10, and a page with information about myself on (name, country of origin, dob etc) and she mailed me back an I-693A filled in for my records, and a sealed envelope containing the same thing to send to USCIS. I've read other forums where this doctor is recommended due to the cheap fee and ease of use, and never heard of anyone having a problem with her.
What she did is fine and acceptable by the USCIS. However, you should have gotten a copy of the vaccination report, in a sealed envelope, for your own records at the time of your medical in the UK for the K-1. I'm assuming you didn't get that.

I don't know where you will be going for your biometrics. Most likely to the NO ASC office. If you have to go there, enjoy the city while you are there and have a bowl of sausage p'boy for me or at least some shrimp gumbo.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:30 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I keep hearing about this - civil surgeons saying folks have to have a complete physical when it's not required.

Not unethical. You have to remember that these civil surgeons are not familiar with immigration law. I doubt there are many who can tell you the difference between visas and don't know that K visa recipients have had full USCIS mandated medicals by USCIS approved panel doctors while outside of the country. It pays to be an educated consumer.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:47 am
Twice half his height

Originally Posted by Rete
What she did is fine and acceptable by the USCIS. However, you should have gotten a copy of the vaccination report, in a sealed envelope, for your own records at the time of your medical in the UK for the K-1. I'm assuming you didn't get that.
No, I didn't get that. I didn't know I was supposed to get one. All I got was my chest x-rays and a copy of the DS-3025 that was sent on to the London Embassy.

I don't know where you will be going for your biometrics. Most likely to the NO ASC office. If you have to go there, enjoy the city while you are there and have a bowl of sausage p'boy for me or at least some shrimp gumbo.
They have a USCIS office in Jackson, and I am hoping they can do Biometrics there. If not it will most likely be NO. Always love going down there for the crawfish p'boys and gumbo, so I won't complain too much if that's where I am needed.

Last edited by Knight; Jan 23rd 2008 at 2:08 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:59 am
Concierge

No, I didn't get that. I didn't know I was supposed to get one. All I got was my chest x-rays and a copy of the DS-3025 that was sent on to the London Embassy.

They have a USCIS office in Jackson, and I am hoping they can do Biometrics there. If not it will most likely be NO. Always love going down there for the crawfish p'boys and gumbo, so I won't complain too much if that's where I am needed.
My daughter and her husband have a home in Hattiesburg and he was raised in Meridian where they have a business. They had investment property on the beach in Long Beach (apartment building) but it was totaled with Katrina so now they just have land which they can do nothing with as there are no utilities yet. They just bought another apartment building in Hattiesburg.

When I visit I come into NO because it is a direct flight and I get the opportunity to do things in NO. There is a great Middle Eastern restaurant that they take me to that I love. If you like that kind of food let me know and I'll ask Lee for the name and address for you.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:13 am
Twice half his height

Originally Posted by Rete
There is a great Middle Eastern restaurant that they take me to that I love. If you like that kind of food let me know and I'll ask Lee for the name and address for you.
Sure! Last time I was down there we went to a turkish place I think it was on South Carrollton Avenue and it was great. Would love to try another place when I am next there, what ever the reason.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I can see, it's a misunderstanding on the civil surgeon's part. It seems most people who go in for an immigration-related matter, are needing a full medical. It seems to be much less often someone goes in just for the vaccination supplement. I think it's just that the civil surgeons assume you want a full medical until you go in person and explain your case and show your documents. It could also be that the secretary who answers the doctor's phone and makes appointments is clueless, and also believes you want a full medical.

When I was calling around to make Sadegh's appointment for the vaccination supplement, I called about 4 or 5 civil surgeons. Every single one of the secretaries who answered the phone insisted he needs a full medical done. I finally just went ahead and made the appointment with the one nearest to our home. It still took a bit of haggling on my part, with the doctor himself, to explain Sadegh's already HAD his FULL medical...all he needs is this vaccination supplement done. The doctor finally got the picture and said Oh, all I need to do is check his vaccination sheet and sign this? I said yes!

I don't think the civil surgeons can force you to have a full medical - that would be unethical. The civil surgeons probably just need to be more educated as to the different types of services they provide for immigration-related visits.

Rene
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
From what I can see, it's a misunderstanding on the civil surgeon's part. It seems most people who go in for an immigration-related matter, are needing a full medical. It seems to be much less often someone goes in just for the vaccination supplement. I think it's just that the civil surgeons assume you want a full medical until you go in person and explain your case and show your documents. It could also be that the secretary who answers the doctor's phone and makes appointments is clueless, and also believes you want a full medical.

When I was calling around to make Sadegh's appointment for the vaccination supplement, I called about 4 or 5 civil surgeons. Every single one of the secretaries who answered the phone insisted he needs a full medical done. I finally just went ahead and made the appointment with the one nearest to our home. It still took a bit of haggling on my part, with the doctor himself, to explain Sadegh's already HAD his FULL medical...all he needs is this vaccination supplement done. The doctor finally got the picture and said Oh, all I need to do is check his vaccination sheet and sign this? I said yes!

I don't think the civil surgeons can force you to have a full medical - that would be unethical. The civil surgeons probably just need to be more educated as to the different types of services they provide for immigration-related visits.

Rene
Fair enough, if they just don't understand.

I had the impression (rightly or wrongly) from this thread and others that some were trying to just get the extra bucks. Which I would find unethical.