Wikiposts

Claiming spouses kids

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

MarthaMujica is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Claiming spouses kids

I thought I had to wait till I got my first NOA from I-130 submittal to then send I-129F pkg and at that point I could then claim my new hubby's kids under 18. But I just read on Kamya site that I should include step children in my I-130 pkg?
Pls someone help
thanks
Martha
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

utopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Claiming spouses kids

Your first statement is correct. You cannot include stepchildren on an I-130. You CAN include them on an I-129F because their visa (K-4) is derivative from their parent's K-3. However, at some point you will have to file I-130's for each of them, either before you file the I-129F or later. In my own case I have not filed I-130s for my wife's children yet but I will after they get here with their mother next year. It's another $400 (3 x $130) I would rather wait to spend.

Originally posted by MarthaMujica
I thought I had to wait till I got my first NOA from I-130 submittal to then send I-129F pkg and at that point I could then claim my new hubby's kids under 18. But I just read on Kamya site that I should include step children in my I-130 pkg?
Pls someone help
thanks
Martha
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 7:35 am
won't be long now!

SidAngelika is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by utopiacowboy
Your first statement is correct. You cannot include stepchildren on an I-130. You CAN include them on an I-129F because their visa (K-4) is derivative from their parent's K-3. However, at some point you will have to file I-130's for each of them, either before you file the I-129F or later. In my own case I have not filed I-130s for my wife's children yet but I will after they get here with their mother next year. It's another $400 (3 x $130) I would rather wait to spend.
Good to read this reply because certain information on websites made me wonder too about needing a seperate I-130 for my son who is now stepson to my US citizen husband. We got married a few weeks prior to his 18th birthday so I think we should not worry about his age. He is coming along on k4 also since he still is my dependent. We are at day 124 since first NOA from MSC...had RFE recently.....good luck to anyone on this board!!! Angelika (Germany)
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 7:57 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Martha,

I'm wondering what you mean by "claim my new hubby's kids under 18".

Both the I-130 (on line 17) and the I-129f (on line 14) tell you to list all children of your alien relative or fiance(e), as the case may be.

List them.

Regards, JEff

Pls someone help
thanks
Martha
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:41 am
Mrt

utopiacowboy wrote:
    > Your first statement is correct. You cannot include stepchildren on an
    > I-130.

Nonsense.

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 10:51 am
Mrt

mrt wrote:

> utopiacowboy wrote:
    >
    >> Your first statement is correct. You cannot include stepchildren on an
    >> I-130.
    >
    >
    > Nonsense.
    >

My confusion...

I thought you meant they could not file an I-130 for a step child.

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

utopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the rough

Yes, of course you list the stepchildren on the spouse's I-130 (Section C. Question 17) but they require a separate I-130 for each of them. Read the instructions for the I-130.

Originally posted by Mrt
utopiacowboy wrote:
    > Your first statement is correct. You cannot include stepchildren on an
    > I-130.

Nonsense.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

thank you for everyone's replies. I think I'll wait to claim my husband's kids when I do the I-129F after I get my needed NOA from I-130. Just starting the process. I'm also looking into slightly delaying stepkids arrival to US as long as visa allows it before it expires - I believe it is a year max. that K-4 is valid to travel once is granted.
Thanks again!!!
Martha
Old Dec 4th 2003, 1:48 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Martha,

Better check that period of validity for a K4 visa. I used to believe the same for a K2. I was wrong.

I'm still wondering what you mean by "claim" my husband's kids...

Regards, JEff

thank you for everyone's replies. I think I'll wait to claim my husband's kids when I do the I-129F after I get my needed NOA from I-130. Just starting the process. I'm also looking into slightly delaying stepkids arrival to US as long as visa allows it before it expires - I believe it is a year max. that K-4 is valid to travel once is granted.
Thanks again!!!
Martha
Old Dec 4th 2003, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Default Petitoning spouses kids

I'm sorry Jeff - I probably mean to say petition for my spouse's children under 18. I will inquire with Immigration about how long is K-4 for after being granted - thanks!!