British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   ckusa - Green Card Renewal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/ckusa-green-card-renewal-938015/)

ckusa Apr 7th 2021 10:16 pm

ckusa - Green Card Renewal

Any recent GC renewals?
We submitted our GC renewal, got the confirmation, and now have an email saying they have sent an ("biometrics") letter out - about a week ago, but hasn't arrived yet. Since we're trying to book some things over the next few weeks/months, anyone know how long it is between getting the appointment letter email and the actual appointment (roughly)?

Noorah101 Apr 7th 2021 10:40 pm

Re: ckusa - Green Card Renewal

I started a new thread for you, since you tagged onto a thread that was not about renewing a green card, but rather removing conditions.

Rene

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 8th 2021 4:31 pm

Varies by office, I know people waiting here who are expecting 6 month plus wait.

ckusa Apr 11th 2021 12:07 am

Uhm - to answer my own question.
Timeline:
Application to renew submitted end February 2021 - with the usual confirmation emails/letters
Email from USCIS on 4 April 2021 saying a letter had been sent with biometrics appointment date - and stating that if we had not received this letter by 3 May 2021 to contact them to resend the letter. (Logically the appointment should therefore be after 3 May).
Received letter today, 11 April 2021, to say the appointment is on 29 April 2021 - and if you don't turn up for the appointment then consider the application for renewal denied (!) - good thing the letter was not lost!
So, application to appointment is 2 months - pretty good under the current circumstances.

whitebear Jul 7th 2022 2:27 am

I have permanent resident status by marriage and after 10 years here, I needed to renew my Green Card. Applied on-line exactly 3 months before expiry which was May, got appointment for Biometric in October and status changed to expect next action in January. It is now July, and they ignored my request for information. I have no idea what I'd do if I wanted to travel out of the USA right now.

ckusa Jul 7th 2022 7:22 am

The renewal systems seems to be SNAFU. We (wife and I) had our cursory appointment May 2021 and I got my new GC within a few days (certainlu within a week). My wife is still waiting. She has sent a number of messages to USCIS, but no response - and online it says she cannot expect a chase-up on her renewal before October 2022 (so 18 months after that appointment). She does have a USCIS piece of paper to say that her current card is valid for 12 months beyond the current expircy date and we have travelled since her old card expired - you get coralled upon arrival while they do additional checks (but nothing onerous).

So: check that you have a letter from USCIS about your card being vaid for +12 months - if not I would try phoning them. I believe technically that your LPR status is indefinite, the GC is just a confirmation of that. The main problem would be the airline accepting it - although when I came into the US a few weeks ago they didn't even check my GC.

Rete Jul 7th 2022 12:35 pm

Last I heard you can call the misinformation 1-800 number and request an appointment at your field office. While there you can have the I-551 stamp placed in your passport.

ckusa Oct 9th 2022 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12992511)
I started a new thread for you, since you tagged onto a thread that was not about renewing a green card, but rather removing conditions.

Rene

Actually, no... there were no condiions attached to our E11/E12 GCs... but hey ho...

ckusa Oct 9th 2022 12:27 am

Anyhow... . Wife still waiting for her new GC - managed to submit an online request to chase it up and got a 24-month extension letter today. (No idea why it's taking so long not least since i) I got my new GC within a couple of days, and ii) her case is straightforward...)

RICH Oct 9th 2022 12:57 am

What is your question? Seems like there is some frustration, which can be overcome if you can express the problem clearly.

ckusa Oct 9th 2022 2:01 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 13146617)
What is your question? Seems like there is some frustration, which can be overcome if you can express the problem clearly.

Did there have to be a question? I posted an update on our GC renewal status which others might find useful if going through a similar process. Period.

RICH Oct 9th 2022 2:31 am

OK Good luck to you.

BTW renewing green card vs applying for citizenship is mostly a no brainer.

Rete Oct 9th 2022 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by ckusa (Post 13146614)
Actually, no... there were no condiions attached to our E11/E12 GCs... but hey ho...

Which is exactly what she said and why she transferred your post. You posted in an inappropriate thread.

S Folinsky Oct 9th 2022 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 13146715)
Which is exactly what she said and why she transferred your post. You posted in an inappropriate thread.

My thought also. But also, the poster adds that they had employment, not marriage, based status. Not only attached to wrong thread, but in wrong sub-forum.