Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Civil surgeon - cynical

Wikiposts

Civil surgeon - cynical

Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Civil surgeon - cynical

Well I went to get my Varicella vaccination and vaccination transcription today. All went relatively smoothly, no trying to make me have another medical or x-rays etc and he was indeed civil. However, they did insist they would only take cash (although my OH did convince them to take a check - he hates to hand over cash) and gave him a small receipt marked "Physical" and stating "that's the only receipt we will give you".

When M. asked if they would file the process with our insurers we were told no because they already give such heavily discounted prices there was no point. We paid $120 for the vaccine and completion of the transcription which didn't seem that heavily discounted to M.

After reading RG's account on how she was treated and thinking about their general instance on cash, it does feel like there is something a bit "under the table" about how these are handled.

Anyhow AOS package will be with Chicago by lunchtime tomorrow. Feels a bit like lighting the blue touchpaper and waiting! We had hoped to go back to Ireland for Christmas, but given our delays in getting the AOS sent I guess it'll have to be St. Paddy's day.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 10:21 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Civil surgeon - cynical

Paddy's day in Ireland, magic. I still remember Paddy's days in Kilburn when I worked there, and some of the hangovers.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
We paid $120 for the vaccine and completion of the transcription which didn't seem that heavily discounted to M.
Sadly, it probably was ...

... when a friend of mine who was visiting last year needed to see a doctor on a non-emergency basis it cost him $160 just to get in the door ...
Old Nov 15th 2010, 11:35 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Alot of insurers will not cover an immigration medical unfortunately.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm interesting. I wonder why the insurers don't cover it?
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:16 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure. I got pretty annoyed because my husband had to get a new medical for his K1 since his apparently got lost in transit or something. The civil surgeon told me that they wouldn't accept any insurance for an immigration medical since they don't get reimbursed for it so I rang up my insurance company and several others and they all said the same thing. They said if it was just a regular physical it would be covered which made no sense to me.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why the insurers don't cover it?
Well, for one thing, it has nothing whatsoever to do with ongoing health care. Regardless of how important it may be to the patient, it simply isn't necessary from a medical POV and therefore isn't covered.

Ian
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Call up your insurance company and ask for a claim form and instructions how to fill it in. It shouldn't cost anything so you have nothing to lose. The fact it was discounted, if it was discounted, is irrelevant, it will either be covered or not covered to a specific amount. If it was done in the US you have a legal right to get your medical record from the doctors that will show what they did and hopefully what the cost was and what you paid.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 12:14 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm interesting. I wonder why the insurers don't cover it?
Because it is not a well visit nor is it a sick visit. And most probably it is with a doctor not in their network.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Well Ian, get that logic. They were listed on our providers list through. Anyway I guess we can ask/try, it can only be a yes or no!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
Because it is not a well visit nor is it a sick visit. And most probably it is with a doctor not in their network.
The civil surgeon that we saw was in network. They just wouldn't cover it since it was for immigration purposes.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 12:05 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

They were listed on our providers list through.
Being on the provider list just means that you are okay for covered expenses. An immigration medical isn't medically necessary, and so is usually beyond what might otherwise be covered. It's just not part of your ongoing health care; indeed, it isn't even motivated by your concern for your own health... you aren't the one who wants to know whether or not you're healthy!

Anyway I guess we can ask/try, it can only be a yes or no!
Yup... I agree!

Ian
Old Nov 17th 2010, 1:59 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
The civil surgeon that we saw was in network. They just wouldn't cover it since it was for immigration purposes.

Proves my first point, it was not a well or sick visit.