Reload this Page >

Civil Partnerships and emigrating

Wikiposts

Civil Partnerships and emigrating

Old Sep 1st 2008, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

RainbowPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Civil Partnerships and emigrating

Thanks for all your detailed replies and the useful links. Certainly clears up everything I needed to know. It could be an option for us to live together in the UK, but to be honest, I'd much rather move to the US! I'm going to read up as much as I can about my options getting into the US by other means.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:57 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RainbowPrincess
Thanks for all your detailed replies and the useful links. Certainly clears up everything I needed to know. It could be an option for us to live together in the UK, but to be honest, I'd much rather move to the US! I'm going to read up as much as I can about my options getting into the US by other means.
Hi:

If nothing else, the immigration laws of the US did make one big change in regards to gays & lesbians -- it used to be that the homosexuality was classified amongst the rubric of "psychopathic personality" under the medical grounds. And this was a ground of "exclusion." Curiously, it was not a ground of deportation.

Back in the late 70's, the medical profession came around to the idea that homosexuality was not an "illness". In light of changing medical standards, it was now impossible for the former INS to obtain the "Class A" medical certificates.

There is an interesting body of case law from the 50's & 60's on this which are of historical interest, but are now pretty much dead letter.

The US has made the journey to the point that homosexual conduct is no longer a crime. But the US is not at the point uniformly that it is a total non-issue across the board. [Aside -- any bets on when the military's "don't ask, don't tell" rule goes by the wayside?].
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=md95065;6738894]Just to be clear - they would be "good to go" assuming that each of them individually was qualified for an appropriate visa.

The fact that they were or were not in a relationship would be completely irrelevant.[/QUOTE

I took it that this was implied:

living exemplary lives with exemplary records, in fantastic jobs working in the type of occupations much in demand in America
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

kstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to all

My partner is American and I'm British. This is something we've only just starting lookiing into and I can't quite put my finger on the right place for the information I need! I'm hoping you nice people will point me in the right direction! There's plenty of information about moving to the US when you get married to an American but what about same-sex partnerships? Does it matter which country we have the ceremony? I also think there are probably only certain States that recognise civil partnerships.

I suppose what I'm asking is, can I "easily" apply to live in the US on the same grounds as someone else who is having a traditional marriage?

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

If it makes you feel better one of my good friends who is American woman, has been in a 5 year relationship with a woman from Scotland. She applied, on her own for a immigration visa through a job offer (she's a vet-in fact they both are!) and she was approved. Her sexual orientation is not a question during that process, they focused on was she qualified for the position, thats all. She and her partner (my good friend) have gotten an apartment together in Boston. Of corse she will have to re-apply ever couple of years or so to stay working in the US but it can be done, just not based on marriage.

Hope that makes you feel a little better!

~Kate
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I guess no none ever posted the list of other ways you can immigrate to the US; have a look here: Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

ovidien is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm in exactly, exactly the same situation as you (right down to the wanting to move to america instead of the easy route of having my partner move here ) so thank you for making this thread, because it saved me googling and coming up with a whole load of law i don't understand.
thank you. and thank you the rest of you guys for all the help. much appreciated.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who is interested in the options/discussion of can go to the Immigration forum here http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34 and in the top right corner's 'search this forum' box enter 'same sex' (set the results to 'posts' instead of 'threads'). There have been some good resources posted recently.