Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Citizenship time approaching!

Wikiposts

Citizenship time approaching!

Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:20 pm
London Canada to Atlanta

country_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship time approaching!

Hi everyone!

Long time no visit. Sorry about that, been living life AWAY from immigration and enjoying very much!

Those who have been here a long time, might remember my journey, in short, the upcoming Valentine's Day marks the three year anniversary of my last court date and the permanent residency approved order from my immigration judge! Since we are still very much married, it will soon be time to apply for citizenship. Hooray! Hopefully I will naturalize in time to vote in 2016!

Big question. Since we have moved across the country, I don't have access to the team of attorneys they did such an amazing job for us. My green card expires 04/04/23 but it also says resident since 02/14/13. It took a couple months after the judge's order before they issued my card. USCIS attorney waited until the last possible day to file an appeal.... Before he gave notice that he would not be filing an appeal. Sigh...

So, given these dates on my green card, when do you think would be the earliest I should attempt to file the docs for citizenship?

Cheers!
Chris
Old Sep 10th 2015, 2:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship time approaching!

If based on 3 years of marriage to a USC, you can file the N-400 up to 90 days before your 3rd anniversary as a PR.

So. ..3 years after 2/14/13 would be 2/14/16. Approximately 90 before that would be late November 2015. The marriage must be more than 3 years old when you file the N-400.

Nice to see you back!

Rene
Old Sep 10th 2015, 2:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by country_canuck
Valentine's Day marks the three year anniversary of my last court date and the permanent residency approved order from my immigration judge!
OMG - has it really been 3 years? Where has the time gone?

So, given these dates on my green card, when do you think would be the earliest I should attempt to file the docs for citizenship?
11/16/15... that's 90 days prior to your 3rd anniversary as a PR. I suggest you wait until 11/18 to file just to be safe!

Ian
Old Sep 10th 2015, 2:35 pm
London Canada to Atlanta

country_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene! Ian!

Coming on 10 years since I first applied for visa and aos. Long journey!

Do you guys think or see any reason why the difficulty I experienced during my journey will come into play or need special attention / help?
Old Sep 10th 2015, 2:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by country_canuck
Do you guys think or see any reason why the difficulty I experienced during my journey will come into play or need special attention / help?
Nope, no reason that I can see!

Rene
Old Sep 10th 2015, 3:11 pm
London Canada to Atlanta

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Nope, no reason that I can see!

Rene
I had to buy, I mean file! a waiver...
Old Sep 10th 2015, 4:09 pm

No, I mean I don't see you past issues being a problem now.

Rene
Old Sep 10th 2015, 5:07 pm
London Canada to Atlanta

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No, I mean I don't see you past issues being a problem now.

Rene
My attorney that I used to get me out of deportation proceedings also said it should not be a problem unless I make it a problem.

That's what I was told on my first master hearing after being denied my original aos - and then I was denied the opportunity to speak or provide evidence, judge Grace Sease called me a scam artist and a fraudster and that I went out and found an American girl to marry me so I could stay and blah blah blah and then ordered me to voluntarily depart. It took 7 years to get that mess cleaned up, and we won the appeal against herr Sease. And then we jumped through hoop after hoop after hoop, with Sease getting fired / retired (nobody is quite sure which - but google Judge Grace Sease and you will see her history of abuse of discretionary powers including assisting in the deportation of a U.S. citizen) Perhaps we had something to do with her "retirement" after my attorney complained about how she had behaved in court to my wife and I.

So call me cynical!!!! It can't be that easy now??? 😂
Old Sep 10th 2015, 10:49 pm

Actually, the USA wants more citizens (as opposed to wanting more aliens), so it feels like they're trying to help you more during the naturalization process. So I think you will be just fine.

Rene