Citizenship Journey

Old May 17th 2021, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Asho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship Journey

Hey everyone

I had previously written a thread back in Oct 2016 (can be found by using the search tool and looking at my username.)

But to summarize
  • Oct 2015 - Married American Wife
  • Dec 2015 - Sent off initial I-130
  • Nov 2016 - Received GreenCard (Stamp in passport)
  • Nov 2016 - Emigrated to the US
  • 2016 -2018 Lived worked traveled all over America
  • Mid 2018 - Applied for a 10 Year Greencard.
  • 2019 - Received news it was approved.
  • Finally received it beginning of 2020
  • 10 year green card expiry 2030.
2020 had a child.
2021 made a New Years Resolution to apply for my Citizenship.
  • Applied Feb 2nd 2021 (online rather than through the mail option)
  • March 8th 2021 - Received news they had all my documents.
  • April 6th 2021 - Citizenship Test
  • May 7th 2021 - Naturalization. Officially a Citizen of the USA.
  • May-June - Apply for Passport

Few things I would like to point out.

1) This forum has been invaluable. I repeat INVAULABLE. Research it. Use the Search button. Your answers are more than likely in a thread somewhere. That said don't be afraid to ask stupid questions as someone probably has been in your shoes before and will be able to answer them. But don't get offended by the answers if they aren't what you were expecting.

2) Initially we used the post for mailing our documents in. The most recent processes saw me use the online portal. Its a lot easier (if you have a scanner/laptop and some time)

3) Which ever visa you are applying for, please know the process is a drawn out one. Everybody has different experiences. I almost didn't apply for my citizenship as according to the USCIS website there was an 18 month delay for my area due to COVID and USCIS layoffs. ( i was using COVID as an excuse to be lazy myself). To my surprise from applying for Citizenship to taking the Oath was a few months., not the 18 they suggested.

Things to take into consideration.
  • Be prepared to wait long periods of time during the process, then have periods of rushing to get your stuff together.
  • For those concerned about the interview, please don't be. I interviewed in London for my initial GreenCard - No issues just a long wait. Total time spent in the Embassy was 4-5 hours. Total interview time maybe 3 mins.
  • For my citizenship test - maybe 20 mins.
  • For the Naturalization Ceremony - 7 mins (Due to COVID, no family / friends, in and out)

My advice for the process is make sure you have your documents in order and photocopies available (they may not ask for all documents but better to be over prepared than under prepared). On each occasion no one has asked for any of my documents apart from my ID (GreenCard/Passport/Driving License) but i had them JUST IN CASE.
On that same note, remember to document things as you go along your journey. Keep copies of important documents (Mortgages, Car Loans, Joint Credit Card Statements, Tax Returns, Document travel, Dates, photos etc) Make a folder and throw everything in there.

Good luck to all of those currently "in the system". It takes a while but its worth it in the end. If you're beginning the journey it seems like you will never reach the end but looking back now over the past 5-6 years its gone by real quick.

My wife and I at no point engaged with a lawyer. We completed all the steps ourselves and managed to get approval of a CR-1 within 10 months. If you can read and write English and don't have a crazy criminal record the process is rather simple and will not require you spending extra cash on Lawyers.

So good luck to all. I will remain on this site to offer any advice to those going through similar experiences. (granted some things change and the systems get updated but the journey remains the same)

Again Thank you to Ian/Rene/Pulaski et al for managing these threads, replying to answers etc. Your help has been invaluable.

Now time for me to use this forum to figure out how to get my child the old British passport

Ash
Old May 17th 2021, 7:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Journey

Awesome! Congratulations!

Rene
Old May 17th 2021, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations
Old May 17th 2021, 11:21 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats… 🎉 🇺🇸

I assume you mean 20 mins for the whole Citizenship interview and not the 6-10 test questions.

Did you get a welcome letter from the President at your ceremony?
Old May 18th 2021, 8:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. It is super nice to hear back from those that have found our forum helpful. We certainly miss our Ian who is enjoying his retirement. Rene is a super helper as well as a super moderator. And Pulaski is our on again, off again jack of all information.

In my 23 years here, these members have been models to emulate.

Rete

P.S. We now have a younger generation of members who are as helpful and diligent as those named above.
Old May 19th 2021, 11:15 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

We certainly miss our Ian who is enjoying his retirement.
Whereever he is, he is certainly missed....