choice of K-3 or I-130

Old Aug 27th 2002, 3:15 pm
Joey

Default choice of K-3 or I-130

I emailed a question to the Vancouver consulate this morning and this is what they
emailed me back...

Yes, you have a choice.

But once the IR-1 is approved and sent to Montreal, you will no longer have a choice.
As previously stated, we DO NOT send instructions for the K3 till we receive the
approved petition from INS.

Thank you VancouverK

The IR-1 (which I did a little research on) sounds like it is another name for the
I-130....Would that mean once the I-130 is approved I don't have the choice anymore?
Just looking for interpretation.

Joey

Old Aug 27th 2002, 4:21 pm
Girard Bourque

Default Re: choice of K-3 or I-130

Yes and no. The key to that statement is approved and sent to Montreal. There can be
a several month delay between INS approval and Montreal receiving the application
from the National Visa Center. I talked to the Consulate in Santo Domingo and they
told me that they would process the visa in the order they are received. So if the
K-3 arrived a day before the 130, they would process the k-3. This also means less
work for them. So even if the INS approves the 130 first, there is still a good
chance that your spouse can enter on a K-3.

Jerry