Reload this Page >

chips' AOS from VWP questions

chips' AOS from VWP questions

Old Apr 7th 2012, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

sallydom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: chips' AOS from VWP questions

Originally Posted by chips
ok, I'm confused..lawyer told me that if we get married in Canada it would take approx 9 months and I cannot visit the US during this time.
but she can visit me in Canada.

I just read this thread that says its ok for me to visit the US while waiting on I-130 pending...http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578918

if this is true, then that would take some of the pressure off not seeing each other for a long time.

I guess the only question now is married in Canada or US. wondering if it makes a difference.

If we got married while I'm here on a VWP and then I go up to Canada to file for I-130 wouldn't that cause problems too though?? because US officals would see that I married a USC while on a VWP
I already had a B2 visa , and apparently legally you can visit USA as long as you can prove you are only visiting and as you have a house and Job in Canada that should be easy for you . your American girlfriend can definatley visit you.
Hopefully someone can advise you re where the best place to file
GOOD LUCK
it will be worth it in the end
Old Apr 7th 2012, 10:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

didn't realise that if the officer decided that I intended to marry when I entered on the VWP, the AOS can be declined with no appeal.
It's OK to have the intent to marry. It's not OK to have the intent to remain and become a PR. It's perfectly legal to come to the USA, marry, and then leave the USA to pursue an Immigrant Visa. It's not OK to come to the USA with the intent to marry and remain in the USA after marriage and file AOS. It's all about what you intended to do at the POE. Or rather, it's all about what the adjudicating officer believes was your intent at the POE.

Yes, when you enter the USA on the VWP, you waive your rights to an appeal in this case.

other options - we're talking about marrying either here and me returning to Canada, or getting married in Canada and filing from up there.
is there any benefit to go with one over the other? (married in the US over outside)
It does not matter where in the world you get married. The Immigrant Visa process is the same regardless.

if I'm back in Canada I'm not allowed to visit the US whilst this is going through?
Yes, you are allowed.

but as I understand it, my GF can visit me up in Canada.
Yes, she can.

perm res status in Canada should be unaffected because they allow you to be outside the country for quite a long time and retain this.
Canadian citizenship coming through too in approx 9 months.
Interesting that Canada permits one to seek PR status in another country while retaining PR status in Canada.

My advice is to marry in the USA, return to Canada, and pursue an Immigrant Visa. You should get your Immigrant Visa to the USA just after you become a Canadia citizen, so that would be a plus, I would think. Plus, that way you don't have to give up your job so suddenly, or your home. You can make solid plans for both while the immigrant visa processes.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 7th 2012 at 11:10 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 10:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

just trying to limit the time away from my fiancee`
You guys had a long distance relationship going before you got engaged....just figure it's another 8 to 10 months of long distance relationship after marriage. There's no urgent rush to live together, if you've already been having a long distance relationship for a while anyway. It will feel the same. Plus, you guys can still visit each other as you've been doing.

Rene
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:01 pm

hi - a B2 visa can be obtained while I wait for the greencard?
do you have any more info on the B2.?
searching now...
If you qualify for VWP travel, which is seems you do, it will be very difficult to get a B-2 visa. I wouldn't bother. Just keep visiting on the VWP as you've been doing.

Rene
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you qualify for VWP travel, which is seems you do, it will be very difficult to get a B-2 visa. I wouldn't bother. Just keep visiting on the VWP as you've been doing.

Rene
Why do you think difficult to get B2 visa that was the easiest thing so far , I was using VWP before that
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:04 pm

ok, I'm confused..lawyer told me that if we get married in Canada it would take approx 9 months and I cannot visit the US during this time.
The lawyer was incorrect. You CAN visit the USA while the visa process is going on. It has nothing to do with marrying in Canada.

I just read this thread that says its ok for me to visit the US while waiting on I-130 pending...http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578918

if this is true, then that would take some of the pressure off not seeing each other for a long time.
It is true.

I guess the only question now is married in Canada or US. wondering if it makes a difference.
It does not.

If we got married while I'm here on a VWP and then I go up to Canada to file for I-130 wouldn't that cause problems too though?? because US officals would see that I married a USC while on a VWP
No, it wouldn't cause any problems, it would be the correct method of immigrating to the USA. As I mentioned, it's perfectly OK to marry in the USA, and have the intent to marry at the POE. What's not OK is having the intent to remain in the USA after marriage and file AOS. Perhaps you had that intent, perhaps not, it will be up to the AOS officer to decide.

But it's perfectly legal to marry in the USA and then return outside the USA to pursue an Immigrant Visa. The I-130, by the way, is filed in the USA and can be filed right after you get married. What you'll be doing in Canada is applying for an Immigrant Visa to the USA.

Rene
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by sallydom
Why do you think difficult to get B2 visa that was the easiest thing so far , I was using VWP before that
Because if you qualify for VWP travel, you're less likely to get a B-2 approved. If you managed to get a B-2, while qualified to use the VWP, you were lucky.

If the B-2 visa application gets denied, then one has to re-do ESTA and check the box saying a visa has been denied. That, in turn, makes the ESTA get denied. Which makes it then impossible to visit the USA until 6 - 12 months later, when you can try ESTA again and hope for an approval.

Rene
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:08 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The reference to two months -- I am unclear as to whether this is to projected processing time or to the notional window for a VWP entrant to file for adjustment of status according to the some of the strange interpretations put on the law from some of the more twisted minions of the Dark Forces.

In any case, YMMV.

"The trouble is all inside your head she said to me. The answer is easy if you take it logically. I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free." Paul Simon
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Because if you qualify for VWP travel, you're less likely to get a B-2 approved. If you managed to get a B-2, while qualified to use the VWP, you were lucky.

If the B-2 visa application gets denied, then one has to re-do ESTA and check the box saying a visa has been denied. That, in turn, makes the ESTA get denied. Which makes it then impossible to visit the USA until 6 - 12 months later, when you can try ESTA again and hope for an approval.

Rene
Luck didn't come into its, just being truthful helps and a Good attorney ( that was lucky part as family friend of my hubby is very well respected and experienced )
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:12 pm

Luck didn't come into its, just being truthful helps and a Good attorney ( that was lucky part as family friend of my hubby is very well respected and experienced )
I see. But for others, we suggest not trying to go for a B-2 visa when they are OK to travel by VWP, because we've seen too many of the B-2's get denied, which in turn makes the ESTA get denied, which in turn then means they are stuck, unable to visit the USA at all.

Perhaps you had an attorney helping you get a B-2, most people would not hire an attorney for that, they would just apply and wing it.

Rene
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

I see. But for others, we suggest not trying to go for a B-2 visa when they are OK to travel by VWP, because we've seen too many of the B-2's get denied, which in turn makes the ESTA get denied, which in turn then means they are stuck, unable to visit the USA at all.

Perhaps you had an attorney helping you get a B-2, most people would not hire an attorney for that, they would just apply and wing it.

Rene
The only help from an attorney I had was to recommend I applied for B2, I managed that all by myself ! . I appreciate this may not be right for everyone but the embassy in London were brilliant , maybe it is to do with attitude as it took my father in law a lot longer to get his B2 , purely for visiting my husband and brother in law .
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:28 pm

The only help from an attorney I had was to recommend I applied for B2, I managed that all by myself ! . I appreciate this may not be right for everyone but the embassy in London were brilliant , maybe it is to do with attitude as it took my father in law a lot longer to get his B2 , purely for visiting my husband and brother in law .
I don't understand why you needed to get a B-2, though...you and your father in law. Why couldn't you continue visiting on the VWP. The only reason for needing a B-2 would be to stay longer than 90 days, and usually the ConOff denies someone who wants a B-2 simply to spend more time as a visitor in the USA. I still think you got lucky, I wouldn't recommend others to try it.

Rene
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

hi, no offense taken. I'm new to the entire US immigration process and after speaking with a lawyer they offered up this 'aggressive approach' as they put it.
but didn't realise the risks involved.
just trying to limit the time away from my fiancee`
Just wanted to note that lawyers love aggressive risky approaches because they get more fees when it goes wrong besides it isn't their future they are playing with.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

katiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of light

After reading through the replies it sounds to me like you should seek a consultation with another lawyer.

As Noorah and Sir Eccles have pointed out the "aggressive approach" comes with a great number of risks, the greatest of which is lack of appeal should you be denied.

But what concerns me even more than the suggestion that you take the "aggressive approach" rather than the CR-1 approach is telling you that you can't visit while the I-130 is being processed. You can certainly visit and on the VWP too... It seems to me like your lawyer is pushing you into the riskier route because you're more likely to retain them and they'll make money. And as Sir Eccles pointed out, they don't lose anything if you're denied.

With the CR-1 the process is similar to the K-1 and can be found in the Wiki... but it basically goes like this:

You get married here in the US and then return to Canada
Your wife files the I-130 and supporting documentation
You wait for approval and visit (as you normally would) with the VWP
Your I-130 is decided upon and then moves on to the next stage... Which I can't help you with as my husband and I went the K-1 route but I'm pretty sure it involves embassy interviews and a medical.

It does take 8-10 months, but as someone pointed out it just means the long-distance part of your relationship goes on a little bit longer. It's FAR FAR FAR less risky than adjusting status from the VWP and you'll get to come into the US when it's all over with a Greencard and the right to work from day one (which removes a whole OTHER bucket of worries).

Hope this helps!

Katie
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I've never understood why lots of people on BE look down their noses at AOS from VWP and don't consider it a "proper" way to immigrate even though it's perfectly legal and above board. There are greater risks attached to it, as have been outlined, but if you are fully aware of those risks you are at least able to make an informed choice about what is the best way to proceed for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.