Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Children / Adult moving to America

Children / Adult moving to America

Old Jan 6th 2017, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

swilt170571 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Children / Adult moving to America

Thank you, we initially would not have any continuing income when moving to USA as we would both be leaving our UK based jobs. So in terms of savings I think we possibly can scrape it, and if I can use my house as well, even without selling it then financially that side should be fine...
Old Jan 6th 2017, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swilt170571
... if I can use my house as well, even without selling it then financially that side should be fine...
You'll want to get an appraisal of its value from an estate agent so that you have an accurate idea of its value.

Ian
Old Jan 6th 2017, 3:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

And don't forget it's only the equity in the home that counts.

Rene
Old Jan 6th 2017, 3:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You'll want to get an appraisal of its value from an estate agent so that you have an accurate idea of its value. ....
Originally Posted by Noorah101
And don't forget it's only the equity in the home that counts. ....
Personally, I would knock say £5,000 off the value for closing costs to sell it and wouldn't recommend relying on more than 90% of the value of the property.

So say the estate agent says the market value of the house is £205k, and the mortgage is currently £120k, knock off the £5k for closing costs, then take 90% of the value, so £180,000, then deduct the mortgage, leaving net equity of £60,000.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Hi All,

I meant to ask previously, when applying to move over to USA with Family, and once the request is approved (hopefully) do you have a set time to get yourself over there?

Example I apply today, it takes x months to get approved do they insist we then only have x amount of time to get over to America and register what ever we may need to there to say we have arrived?

I know when my Wife came this way (into UK) she had something like 20 odd days to get here once her visa was approved so it was hell of a rush!...

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 12th 2017, 9:49 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The visa is valid for 6 months from the date of the medical. The earlier you have the medical, the sooner your issued visa will expire.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Thank you....

"Plan at the moment" is to try to move after Daughter finishes A Level and Son GCSE both June 2018, so need to plan a good start time to start the application process....

Regards
Simon
Old Jan 8th 2018, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
She isn't required to have a job in the US. As the USC spouse, she must be your sponsor and the children's sponsor. There is no option for that not to happen - so she must complete I-130s for each of you (and pay the fee for each one).

As your sponsor, she must complete an Affidavit of Support form I-864 regardless of whether or not she qualifies financially. If she doesn't, then she'll need a joint sponsor who does qualify - anyone over 18, living in the US, who meets the requirements for their household + you and the children. I suggest you read forms I-864, I-864P, and I-864 Instructions. All are available at www.uscis.gov/forms.

Yes, they can. Savings are counted as assets and must be 3x the income amount specified on form I-864P for a household of 4. A combination of assets and income can also be used.

Ian
Happy New year everyone. I cant believe how old my thread is time fly's.

So now I am getting closer to having to make serious decisions on our future. Ideally I wanted to move California this year but realistically it may have to wait a little longer but I am looking at all those options now.

Just to summarise

My Wife is American working here in UK as a Teacher.
My Children who will be 16 and 18 this year are not hers.

Can anyone recommend if the above quote is still valid for applying to move to USA for my wife, me and the kids?

Previous thread discussed that my wife would need to be my sponsor, she probably wont have a job when we initially move over there nor a massive amount of savings. I will have savings that would cover the costs, plus in theory a good chunk of equity in my house. Would the savings need to be in her bank? Even though if we got divorced courts laws in this country wouldn't care whos name they were in! any further advice / knowledge as always is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old Jan 8th 2018, 1:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The process is the same, but the kids may age out (something for you to look into).

Assets are considered joint, and need to equal 3x the amount lacking in income.

Rene
Old Jan 8th 2018, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The process is the same, but the kids may age out (something for you to look into).

Assets are considered joint, and need to equal 3x the amount lacking in income.

Rene
Hi yes its the kids I was worrying about if its 18 or 21 as mentioned earlier in the thread. i dont think i have found a definitive answer on the US Websites that I have been looking at... :-(
Old Jan 8th 2018, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

o it looks like it is 21! god knows why i hadnt spotted that before! :-(

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-...nent-residents
Old Jan 8th 2018, 5:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I know this got mentioned way back in the thread, but I'm not sure if you picked up on it - your wife should seriously consider getting UK citizenship before leaving. Her Spouse Visa will expire,and if you ever want to move back to the UK you will have to sponsor her all over again - which is no easy feat these days.
Please give it some serious thought.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Hi - Yes it is something I remember. Do you know how long she has to be in this country (UK) before applying for it?
Old Jan 8th 2018, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swilt170571
Hi - Yes it is something I remember. Do you know how long she has to be in this country (UK) before applying for it?
https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen
Old Jan 9th 2018, 1:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Assets need to be easily realisable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.