Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

child support, alimony and immigration (and boyfriend)

Wikiposts

child support, alimony and immigration (and boyfriend)

Old May 17th 2002, 11:20 pm
Alex Shustin

Default child support, alimony and immigration (and boyfriend)

There are several issues I'd like to discuss: child support, alimony and immigration.
Here my situation in a nutshell: I am a foreign citizen living in the US with H-1
visa. I married in '98 and I had been married for about a year (another country
marriage license), my wife entered the US as a tourist and later changed her status
to H4. We lived together for about a year.

We had an uncontested divorce in 99 in CA and my ex wife left for her home country.
There was a verbal agreement to upkeep her and my child standard of living, while
they are in our home country and I paid the amount diligently. She also got to keep
all the property I own there.

Another year had passed and she came back to the US with my child and a new
boyfriend, who also has an H-1 visa.

Currently, we are constantly fighting about my visitations and the amount of money I
should pay (I am still paying what we had agreed upon, any misc. expenses for my kid
and prepared to offer her more). I also can't get any information form her about her
legal residency status in the US (what visa she had used to enter the US (tourist or
her H4 as my wife), whether she got married to her boyfriend to get the visa, etc).
Is there any way to find it out?

What are my chances for custody if I take this case to the court? What are her
chances for alimony if she asks the court for it (btw, I knew her for ten years
and she never worked )? Might court take her petition if she is an illegal alien?
Might court to order her deportation and let the kid to stay with me? Who is going
to pay the court/lawyers fees for her? She can't afford it.BTW on the second
thought - me neither.

I talked to a lawyer, but didn't get much more then "try not to get your case to
the court".

I understand my situation is not a 'standard case', so any and all advices or
insights will be appreciated.