Reload this Page >

changing name etc on US driver's license

Wikiposts

changing name etc on US driver's license

Old Jan 3rd 2003, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Clare C is an unknown quantity at this point
Default changing name etc on US driver's license

I recently married a US citizen, and am in the application process for green card. I have been given Advanced Parole( don't you just love that term!) and Employment Authorization valid until the time of our first interview in June.

I have a couple of questions
1) what paperwork etc are you given immediately after the interview, allowing you to work etc, by INS? Will I get some type of stamp in my passport allowing me to travel before the actual green card is sent to me?

2) The I-94 and H-1B visa in my passport expired, after the time when I initially filed for green card, I'm assuming the travel permit and employment authorization overrides this, is that so?

3)We live in Florida and they require that you change drivers license when there is a change in your name, address etc. Will the work authorization card and travel permit be sufficient to take to them to get the changes made, as I'm concerned about showing them a passport that has expired visa etc in it.

I'm getting very confused about this whole process, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

kjdrga is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Here in VA...

My husband showed them his expired visa as it shows what type of visa you came into the country on. He also showed his SSN and EAD. There should be a problem with the visa issues since you are adjusting status and that visa no longer is valid anyhow.

Have you check the DMV website for what type of documentation they require. Since I am the USC I have moved during this process and like FL we are required to report any changes. They do not however make you reaply for a license, all they did was send me a postcard size paper that states my new address and that I should carry that with me at all time to show proff of my current address as recorded by DMV. So perhaps FL will do the same. Once my filed name change comes through then I will more than likely get a new license altogether.
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Clare C is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Here in VA...

Thank you for your advice. Did your husband get a full license valid for 7 years or so? Since 9/11, they are only issuing drivers' licenses for non-us citizens , that are valid for the time they are authorized to stay by INS.
Originally posted by kjdrga
My husband showed them his expired visa as it shows what type of visa you came into the country on. He also showed his SSN and EAD. There should be a problem with the visa issues since you are adjusting status and that visa no longer is valid anyhow.

Have you check the DMV website for what type of documentation they require. Since I am the USC I have moved during this process and like FL we are required to report any changes. They do not however make you reaply for a license, all they did was send me a postcard size paper that states my new address and that I should carry that with me at all time to show proff of my current address as recorded by DMV. So perhaps FL will do the same. Once my filed name change comes through then I will more than likely get a new license altogether.
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

kjdrga is an unknown quantity at this point

Well since my husband is immigrating to this country and taking up residency in the U.S. then I assume they will issue it for the amount of years like a U.S. Citizen or any greencard holder.

Truthfully he is having a hard time passing the exam. He doesn't speak English and while you can take the exam in Spanish it is still a little diffilcut so he hasn't passed the written exam yet. But once he does I'll let you know.

We have our AOS interview in May.
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 2:57 pm
Polish Jelly

ania is an unknown quantity at this point

You just got me worried....whay exam are you talking about?

-Ania