British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Changing My SS status (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/changing-my-ss-status-695138/)

alan280170 Nov 29th 2010 5:25 am

Changing My SS status

I currently have a SS number with 'only valid for work with DHS authorization'
and I am currently working in Indonesia but still living in USA.

I have been offered a position with a small independent Oil and Gas company in Texas. So do I/can I re-apply for a Visa/GC? Or do I need to go down the sponsorship route again.

I still have a bank accounts/credit cards/a house/DL etc, don't know if this counts in my favour.

I have checked on various sites and they are all a bit vague (unless I give them my credit card details lol).

So if anyone has had this problem and sorted it please share.

Thanks in Advance

Alan

Noorah101 Nov 29th 2010 5:38 am

Re: Changing My SS status

Originally Posted by alan280170 (Post 9009671)

And how did you get this SS number? What was it based on?

...and I am currently working in Indonesia but still living in USA.
What is your status in the USA?

I have been offered a position with a small independent Oil and Gas company in Texas. So do I/can I re-apply for a Visa/GC? Or do I need to go down the sponsorship route again.
That depends on what your current status is in the USA.

I still have a bank accounts/credit cards/a house/DL etc, don't know if this counts in my favour.
Where are these things, in the USA? Probably won't help your situation if you need to return to the USA on a visa...just saves you the trouble of obtaining them all again.

I have checked on various sites and they are all a bit vague (unless I give them my credit card details lol).
I would have to say you are also a bit vague. You have a SS card with a work authorization legend on it, but we have no clue what your status is in the USA. Are you on a work visa? Do you have a green card? Are you waiting for an adjustment of status to come through? Are you married to a USC? Could be a multitude of things...

Rene

Noorah101 Nov 29th 2010 5:42 am

This question is quite different from the one you are asking in your thread title "changing my SS status".

Do you want to know how to return to the USA via work?

or

Do you want to know how to get that legend off your SS card?

Rene

alan280170 Nov 29th 2010 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 9009698)
And how did you get this SS number? What was it based on?

I got it when I lived there on L1 visa, worked for a big multi national Oil company

What is your status in the USA?

I just live there on the Visa wiaver (only spend 35 days at a time there due to work)

That depends on what your current status is in the USA.

See above as there is no provision for non working residency as a single person (at least I have never found it)

Where are these things, in the USA? Probably won't help your situation if you need to return to the USA on a visa...just saves you the trouble of obtaining them all again.

At my House in Texas and in my wallet.

I would have to say you are also a bit vague. You have a SS card with a work authorization legend on it, but we have no clue what your status is in the USA. Are you on a work visa? Do you have a green card? Are you waiting for an adjustment of status to come through? Are you married to a USC? Could be a multitude of things...

Rene

Sorry about being vague, I know I will probably have to go through the whole sponsorship again, but it is always worth the time to ask.

GlastoEls Nov 29th 2010 11:17 am

Originally Posted by alan280170 (Post 9009772)
Sorry about being vague, I know I will probably have to go through the whole sponsorship again, but it is always worth the time to ask.

Can I parachute into this thread - I have a similar issue.

Jan 2007 > Jan 2008 - on J1 internship. SSN states "valid for work only with DHS authorization"

Jan 2011 - returning to US on an L1A (approved and received back from the Embassy). Do I need do anything with my existing SSN - I presume not as I remain on a non-immigrant visa.

Many thanks in advance,

Rete Nov 29th 2010 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by alan280170 (Post 9009772)

You do not live in the US on a VW. It is not allowed. You own property in the US but you are not a legal permanent resident. Shame your company didn't apply for your green card when you were here on an L visa.

Yes, you will have to go through another employment sponsorship in order to work in the US. There is nothing to be done about your social security card. The legend still applies to you and can only be changed if you become a legal permanent resident.

ian-mstm Nov 29th 2010 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by GlastoElliot (Post 9010196)
Do I need do anything with my existing SSN - I presume not as I remain on a non-immigrant visa.

You presume correctly.

Ian

GlastoEls Nov 29th 2010 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9010383)
You presume correctly.

Ian

Ian - Thank you, Sir. One less box to tick.

alan280170 Nov 29th 2010 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9010341)
You do not live in the US on a VW. It is not allowed. You own property in the US but you are not a legal permanent resident. Shame your company didn't apply for your green card when you were here on an L visa.

Yes, you will have to go through another employment sponsorship in order to work in the US. There is nothing to be done about your social security card. The legend still applies to you and can only be changed if you become a legal permanent resident.

At the time it was much much more money staying on a Visa, but it will bite me in the ass now, but many thanks on your answer.:)

Noorah101 Nov 29th 2010 1:19 pm

So do I/can I re-apply for a Visa/GC? Or do I need to go down the sponsorship route again.

This part threw me off...when you mentioned re-applying for a Green Card as an option...I thought perhaps you already had a green card.

You will have to go down the employer sponsorship route again, and you will not change your SS card.

Rene

meauxna Nov 29th 2010 6:09 pm

and I am currently working in Indonesia but still living in USA.

So if anyone has had this problem and sorted it please share.

Thanks in Advance

Alan

None of the things you list have anything to do with your immigration status.
You may not change your Social Security status until you've got a valid immigration status.
Your next opportunity to change anything with SSA will be when you have a green card aka Permanent Resident status.

Your employer will need to sponsor you for some kind of work visa.