Wikiposts

Changing Co-Sponsor

Old Jun 28th 2009, 11:30 am
Just Joined

jennyandleon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing Co-Sponsor

Bit of a nightmare scenario. I've had the visa interview and medical and everything is ok except we need some more tax documents from our co-sponsor. The US embassy has my passport and are waiting for the tax docs to arrive. Unfortunately my wife doesn't qualify to sponsor me as she was a student and has been working in this country since she graduated. She's now back in the US setting things up. The only problem we have (unfortunately a massive one) is that the co-sponsor has gone awol. He's a friend of ours but won't take any phone calls or return any messages. He agreed to sponsor me and was supposed to be arranging for his tax printouts to be faxed to the embassy but he's just vanished off the radar (we know he's still alive so that's one thing). Is it possible to change co-sponsors at this late stage? It's only one peace of two bits of paper that this guy has to provide and I'm screwed if he doesn't.

Thanks

Leon
Old Jun 28th 2009, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing Co-Sponsor

Originally Posted by jennyandleon
Is it possible to change co-sponsors at this late stage?
While it's unusual, yes... I believe you can. The new joint sponsor will need to complete all the forms and gather the required tax information... and then you submit all that with a note saying your original joint sponsor has withdrawn his support.

Ian
Old Jun 28th 2009, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
While it's unusual, yes... I believe you can. The new joint sponsor will need to complete all the forms and gather the required tax information... and then you submit all that with a note saying your original joint sponsor has withdrawn his support.

Ian
Cheers

I couldn't find anything about it on the embassy website. I'm guessing it doesn't happen a lot.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 2:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Ditto what Ian said.

Rene
Old Jun 29th 2009, 1:03 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

I couldn't find anything about it on the embassy website. I'm guessing it doesn't happen a lot.

Unusual or not, written in the instructions or not, you have to change sponsors or not get the visa.

Find one, and find one fast.

BTW your wife is also your sponsor. She had to complete an I-864 regardless of her financial ability and if you were to collect means tested benefits in the US for any reason, your wife will be the first one the US Government goes after for reimbursement, not your other sponsor. They will only be targeted if your wife does not pay up.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 1:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Unusual or not, written in the instructions or not, you have to change sponsors or not get the visa.

Find one, and find one fast.

BTW your wife is also your sponsor. She had to complete an I-864 regardless of her financial ability and if you were to collect means tested benefits in the US for any reason, your wife will be the first one the US Government goes after for reimbursement, not your other sponsor. They will only be targeted if your wife does not pay up.
Ok, We're on the case for another co-sponsor. Thanks for the info on re. the government collecting any reimbursement, that should help us out when trying to sell the idea to potential sponsors. My wife did complete the I-864, it's just that her income on her tax receipts was not enough to cover the burden. She'll be making plenty enough by the time I get there.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm feeling a bit more confident now, even if extremely stressed.

Cheers

Leon
Old Jun 29th 2009, 5:27 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, We're on the case for another co-sponsor. Thanks for the info on re. the government collecting any reimbursement, that should help us out when trying to sell the idea to potential sponsors. My wife did complete the I-864, it's just that her income on her tax receipts was not enough to cover the burden. She'll be making plenty enough by the time I get there.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm feeling a bit more confident now, even if extremely stressed.

Cheers

Leon
Leon, what is she *currently* earning? That is the amount that must be at/above poverty guidelines.
Her past years' income does not need to be +125% of PG.