Reload this Page >

Change of Name on AOS & EAD applications

Wikiposts

Change of Name on AOS & EAD applications

Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:02 am
Just Joined

standrews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Change of Name on AOS & EAD applications

I currently have my applications in for adjustment of status (from H1-B to permanent resident), employment authorization and advanced paraole, receipt date of november 18th..

We submitted all my applications in my maiden name, all my H1-B correspondence had been in that name and my current passport is also in that name. I'd really like to start officially channging my name and i know that once i get my EAD i can change the name on my social security card.

Question - How does one go about getting the name on all of my applications changed? So that i'll be given my work authorization and green card (eventually) in my married name? Is it silly to mess with it, does it just cause more confusion?

Any help would be appreciated,
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:27 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change of Name on AOS & EAD applications

Originally Posted by standrews
How does one go about getting the name on all of my applications changed?
You don't. You use your married name on the applications to start with, or you wait until you have the actual cards/documents in hand and then go about the very tedious task of having each one of them altered... with multiple points of failure for each one.

Ian
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:35 am
Just Joined

Too late for that, i didn't think i could have used my married name since my passport etc was all still in my maiden name.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You don't. You use your married name on the applications to start with, or you wait until you have the actual cards/documents in hand and then go about the very tedious task of having each one of them altered... with multiple points of failure for each one.

Ian
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:43 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Too late for that, i didn't think i could have used my married name since my passport etc was all still in my maiden name.

Thanks!
You can't change anything you've already submitted. You'll have to wait until you can get some ID in your new name (as you said, EAD) so you can change it with SS, and then from there change other things that have your maiden name. You might not be able to do that for a while. Perhaps at your interview, you can ask the Officer if it's possible to get your green card in your married name.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:46 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

I currently have my applications in for adjustment of status (from H1-B to permanent resident), employment authorization and advanced paraole, receipt date of november 18th..

We submitted all my applications in my maiden name, all my H1-B correspondence had been in that name and my current passport is also in that name. I'd really like to start officially channging my name and i know that once i get my EAD i can change the name on my social security card.

Question - How does one go about getting the name on all of my applications changed? So that i'll be given my work authorization and green card (eventually) in my married name? Is it silly to mess with it, does it just cause more confusion?

Any help would be appreciated,
Unfortunately there is nothing you can't do about changing your name on the applications that are now in possesion of USCIS. They don't have the manpower to locate & send them back to you. When You get a RFE, you get a letter saying what they need but they never send you the forms you originally submitted.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:43 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
Unfortunately there is nothing you can't do about changing your name on the applications that are now in possesion of USCIS. They don't have the manpower to locate & send them back to you. When You get a RFE, you get a letter saying what they need but they never send you the forms you originally submitted.

Hi Tweeks, seems I'm following you around this morning

She might be able to get it changed at her interview though. I have no idea whether that is possible but we had our interview this week and the officer was so nice I wouldn't have had any hesitation about asking her to change it. It's definitely worth a try.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks, i'm in New York City so a long way off till the interview..but i'll definitely ask in the interview

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride

She might be able to get it changed at her interview though. I have no idea whether that is possible but we had our interview this week and the officer was so nice I wouldn't have had any hesitation about asking her to change it. It's definitely worth a try.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:56 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, i'm in New York City so a long way off till the interview..but i'll definitely ask in the interview
You're welcome. Just another suggestion, could you make an Infopass apointment and go in and change your name there?
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:25 am

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

You stalker!!!
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:27 am

You're welcome. Just another suggestion, could you make an Infopass apointment and go in and change your name there?
My local office couldn't update the address on both: I-130 and I-765 apps, I had to do it the old fashioned way but it might be different in New York!
Now.. I am the stalker