Change of jobs + moving around projected time for I-485 adjudication

Wikiposts

Change of jobs + moving around projected time for I-485 adjudication

Old Feb 6th 2004, 4:07 am
Just Joined

Tom Darga is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Change of jobs + moving around projected time for I-485 adjudication

Hi netters,
I have my I-485 ("outstanding scientist") pending since April 2002. I had my fingerprints taken for the second time a couple of months ago, and from timelines of others it seems like adjudication of my case should be done in the near future - 1-3 months.

Now, I receive a job offer in another state that is under jurisdiction of another USCIS service center. I am considering to accept the offer, but wanted first to make sure that I would not be violating anything by diong this.

Here are my questions:

1) My old job is in general a scientific research in a lab, requiring PhD degree. The new position description does not mention specifically the word "research", but still requires PhD in my field of science and extensive lab experience. However the job itself is not performed in the lab, but rather by working on a coputer (analysis of data, etc.). Could that be a problem at all and USCIS could consider my mew job not exactly corresponding to the requirements of my old job? Could that end up with denial of I-486?

2) Since a chance of my case being adjudicated during my transition to the new employer, should I inform USCIS about my moving? My lawyer is receiving all correspondence from USCIS. However, I also always receive duplicates of all leters from USCIS at my current home address. If I don't inform CIS about my moving, the next letter they sent to me might return back to them and they will know about the move and that moght lead to consequences. My lawyer says not to worry and not inform USCIS unless they ask you about it. What should I be aware in my situation and how to proceed best? I heard there is a 10-day maximum allowed period to report to CIS about moving. Why my lawyer then recomends me to ignore it? I guess I could maintain my old residence for a month or 2 longer until getting I-551, but would it really be worth a couple of grands in rent money?

3) I guess my moving and taking another job I mean my using AC21 act regulations, and since it has been way longer that 6 months since my I-485 is pending, I am eligible to change employers. What should I or my lawyer after I move? Should we sobmit some sort of AC21 letter and something else to CIS? My lawyer says not to do anything until CIS mails us and asks for it. It that right?

I just don't want to do anything stupid by not being aware of and violating possibly existing strict regulations and thus jeopardizing my AOS.

Thanks a lot for your input.
-Tom
Old Feb 9th 2004, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Tom Darga is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please reply-Re: Change of jobs + moving around projected time for I-485 adjudication

I would really appreciate your replies to my questions guys. Could you give me some feedback, please? Ingo, Sylvia?
Thanks,
Tom

Originally posted by Tom Darga
Hi netters,
I have my I-485 ("outstanding scientist") pending since April 2002. I had my fingerprints taken for the second time a couple of months ago, and from timelines of others it seems like adjudication of my case should be done in the near future - 1-3 months.

Now, I receive a job offer in another state that is under jurisdiction of another USCIS service center. I am considering to accept the offer, but wanted first to make sure that I would not be violating anything by diong this.

Here are my questions:

1) My old job is in general a scientific research in a lab, requiring PhD degree. The new position description does not mention specifically the word "research", but still requires PhD in my field of science and extensive lab experience. However the job itself is not performed in the lab, but rather by working on a coputer (analysis of data, etc.). Could that be a problem at all and USCIS could consider my mew job not exactly corresponding to the requirements of my old job? Could that end up with denial of I-486?

2) Since a chance of my case being adjudicated during my transition to the new employer, should I inform USCIS about my moving? My lawyer is receiving all correspondence from USCIS. However, I also always receive duplicates of all leters from USCIS at my current home address. If I don't inform CIS about my moving, the next letter they sent to me might return back to them and they will know about the move and that moght lead to consequences. My lawyer says not to worry and not inform USCIS unless they ask you about it. What should I be aware in my situation and how to proceed best? I heard there is a 10-day maximum allowed period to report to CIS about moving. Why my lawyer then recomends me to ignore it? I guess I could maintain my old residence for a month or 2 longer until getting I-551, but would it really be worth a couple of grands in rent money?

3) I guess my moving and taking another job I mean my using AC21 act regulations, and since it has been way longer that 6 months since my I-485 is pending, I am eligible to change employers. What should I or my lawyer after I move? Should we sobmit some sort of AC21 letter and something else to CIS? My lawyer says not to do anything until CIS mails us and asks for it. It that right?

I just don't want to do anything stupid by not being aware of and violating possibly existing strict regulations and thus jeopardizing my AOS.

Thanks a lot for your input.
-Tom